Spydercos for large hands

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johann

Spydercos for large hands

Post by Johann »

Are there any other Spyderco fans out there that happen to have rather large mitts like myself? I'm having a lot of trouble finding a knife right for me.

The knives I've been told are fairly good for large hands are:
  • Military
  • Caly models
  • UKPK models
What are some other knives I might be able to add to that list?

I've also been told that the Sage 1 (a knife I was considering buying) can be uncomfortable for a person with large hands due to the linerlock cut-out (the middle finger "hangs in space").

Thanks.
Meshuggah

Post by Meshuggah »

I'd say yes on the Mili but no on the other two.
Suggestions :

C95 Manix
Chinook
SuperLeaf / SuperHawk
ATR

There are probably a couple of other but these come to mind right now.
Spyderco's owned: Worker, Police (9 different versions), Captain, ATR (2x), Endura, Tenacious, Gayle Bradley, Delica, Terzuola, Terzuola Jr., Ti Military, Lum Chinese (in Ti and black), Lum Tanto Ti, Lum Tanto sprint, ParaMedic PE, Manix I, Manix I sprint, Civilian, Spyderfly, Szabofly, Starmate, Navaja

Incoming : Manix I

Want: CF Police

Grail : Civilian PE

Post by 1623 »

• Manix
  • Gayle Bradley
  • Para 2
  • Breeden Rescue
  • Stretch
  • Endura
  • Super Leaf
  • Large Lum
  • PPT
  • Yo 2
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Police G10
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

If your wanting to know EDC knives for big hands, i would say go with either a para military 2 or an endura 4. They are big blades/handles but not to big for EDC and both can handle almost any task you throw at it.

I have somewhat larger hands and the PM2 is 100% perfect for me. The military to me is nice and big, but a little too bulky for EDC if you carry in the same pocket you carry other items (keys, cell, wallet, pens, etc...)

Im sure there are other Spydies that will be just as good, these are just the ons i have first hand experience with...

BTW im carrying the sage 1 now and its not that bad, its comfortable when you hold it in the choil.
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

I'm not so sure about the UKPKs and the Calys. They might work okay because the finger choils give you more room even with large hands. But still. I've got large woman's hands and I find the UKPK just right for me. I could imagine it would be a tight fit with really large hands.

For something on the lighter side for everyday carry I would also suggest checking out the Endura or even the Byed Cara Cara 2. The CC2 has a finger choil that the Endura lacks and I think it's got great ergonomics even for large hands like my dad's for example.

And maybe also look into the budget folders like the Tenacious and Resilience. Just gave away a Tenacious and was pretty impressed by the value you get for this kinda money.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
Johann

Post by Johann »

Thanks for the replies, guys :) . I was told by another gentlemen with sizeable paws that the UKPK/Caly knives are actually pretty comfortable, in that they've no bumps or ridges that could sit my fingers in weird places.
PARATOM wrote:If your wanting to know EDC knives for big hands, i would say go with either a para military 2 or an endura 4. They are big blades/handles but not to big for EDC and both can handle almost any task you throw at it.

I have somewhat larger hands and the PM2 is 100% perfect for me.
I do have a PM2 and it is unfortunately too small for me -- my pinky rests on/over the bump at the end of the handle.

The Manix 2 XL is something I'd like to try (love the look of the C95), although I'm inclined to believe that the handle "cutout" would probably cramp my hand.
Johann

Post by Johann »

SuzieQ wrote: For something on the lighter side for everyday carry I would also suggest checking out the Endura or even the Byed Cara Cara 2. The CC2 has a finger choil that the Endura lacks and I think it's got great ergonomics even for large hands like my dad's for example.
A finger choil is something I look for -- I like being able to choke up on the blade for fine work.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

You might want to look into a Gayle Bradley. Its got a good handle on it and is a superb knife.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

When Para2 is small for you.The Military should be right for you.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

It all comes down to the size of your hand how well the particular knife fits in it. So by all means size does matter.

If I spread my fingers as far apart as possible, the two farthest points being the tips of my pinky and thumb measure at 24cm on my right hand (it's one cm less on my left) and the para2 fits very snugly in my hand in any manner of gripping style. The Endura4 has enough handle length but does not fit as snugly, perhaps due to its steel handle. The Caly3.5 for me is only comfortable more in certain grips only, these being reverse grip and when choking up on the blade. I like this knife a lot but the handle design does not go right on to my hand so snugly as the Para2. This is a negligible difference but it's there. Both blade handles are comfortable to hold due to the G10

I would say to try the knife in your hand first. You will know when you have the right one asit becomes an extension of your hand and enhances the fluidity in whichever motion you use it.

Due to our own unique hand features and grip styles, each knife will feel different in your hand. For me, the best knife thus far is the Para2

Just my thoughts.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Johann

Post by Johann »

KardinalSyn wrote:I would say to try the knife in your hand first. You will know when you have the right one asit becomes an extension of your hand and enhances the fluidity in whichever motion you use it.
I'd love to, but I live thousands of kilometers from the nearest Spyderco-stocking store, so I unfortunately have to "buy before I try". :(

The Gayle Bradley will *probably* be my next knife purchase (once I raise the funds), so here's hoping it will be a good fit.

Again, thanks for the answers and suggestions, y'all.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I wear XL or XXL gloves depending on brand.

The original Paramilitary didn't work for me; it was only comfortable using the choil. The Para 2 works well with a handle only grip.

The original C95 Manix pinched my little finger, anxious to try the new one. The C101 Manix 2 that has been out for a while fits my hand perfectly.

Military, Chokwe, Lil' Temp, SuperLeaf, Caly 3.5 (Jr. and 3 also), Endura, Pacific, Spyderhawk and all the fixed blades I've tried all work well.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

Gayle Bradley, I have huge mitts as well and it fits like a glove. John :spyder: :spyder:
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

KardinalSyn wrote:Police G10
+1 . . . You will not run out of handle on that one. :D
I would say IMO that the following would fill a big hand.

Superleaf
Police G-10
MIlitary
Endura
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
dmon

Post by dmon »

I just got my Manix XL. Now that's the knife that would put big smile on your face. :)
Not sure about EDC but definitely one **** of a knife for a big paw.
But i will second on Endura 4, Military, PM2 and as funny as it may sound - a Ladybug and Dragonfly. For latter it just doesn't matter how big or how small the hand would be, they are just convenient without any discrimination :)
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Endura, Para 2, manix2, stretch, military are a few I think of.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I have to disagree about the Stretch...I love mine, but my hands, which are large-ish, only just fit the Stretch.

TheMillie, yes, the GB **** yes. Police, Endura, those should all be good.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Recently got a Wayne Goddard used off eBay for $30. It has a nice size handle. Not thick but long enough to get a good grip. Just read the dimensions because it has a little brother.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Johann,
I've fairly large hands too. The most comfortable Spydie I've encountered so far is the Chinook II / III. While I don't presently own one, based on the very similar handle shape I'd be looking at the Superleaf. The GB M4 works well for me, as do the Millie's. Other possibilities which might fit the bill are the large Persian 2 & the large G10 Lum. The Caly Jr is about as small Spydie as I can handle without fumbling.

J

P.s if your anywhere near Auckland give me a holla if you need to "try on" a few Spyderco's .... trust me I know what a pain in the behind it is when you cant try something out first.
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK