Spyderco Collectors Club question.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hooterville

Post by Hooterville »

I'm a Collectors Club newbie so please forgive my ignorance.

So let's say a Para 2 Carbon fiber has the CC# 051V, is this the only Para 2 Carbon with this number or are there many with the same number?
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Hooterville wrote:I'm a Collectors Club newbie so please forgive my ignorance.

So let's say a Para 2 Carbon fiber has the CC# 051V, is this the only Para 2 Carbon with this number or are there many with the same number?
There is just one knife engraved for each cc#.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hooterville wrote:I'm a Collectors Club newbie so please forgive my ignorance.

Yes and no. It's the only Para 2 of that particular variant with that number, but if Spyderco produced another unique carbon fiber Para 2 variant (different steel, black blade, etc.) then there would be one and only one 051V of each.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Hooterville

Post by Hooterville »

I'm confused. So what ever collector has a particular CC number would only receive one knife of that model with his number on it? Or could he order 5 carbon para 2's and they would all have his same CC number on them?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

AFAIK, you would only get one of each variant with the number. Any additional of the same variant you order would have no CC#.
:bug-red-white
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Hooterville wrote:I'm confused. So what ever collector has a particular CC number would only receive one knife of that model with his number on it? Or could he order 5 carbon para 2's and they would all have his same CC number on them?
He only gets one of each particular knife with that exact number. He could have multiple Para 2's with CC# 051V, but they'd be the different variations (CF S90V, gray G-10 20CP, orange G-10 XHP, etc). He couldn't, for instance, get two CF S90V Para 2's with CC# 051V.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hooterville wrote:I'm confused. So what ever collector has a particular CC number would only receive one knife of that model with his number on it?
More precisely, a "new models only" member would receive only one CC#d specimen of a model, and it whichever variant was designated as the "base" version of that model, while an "all variants" member would receive one CC#d specimen of each variant Spyderco produced of that model. In the "all variants" case, assuming his Collectors Club number was 43 his base version would be numbered 043 while each other variant would be numbered 043V as in the photo below...

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

...where the black serrated version was designated as the base model, and all other versions were variants.
Hooterville wrote:Or could he order 5 carbon para 2's and they would all have his same CC number on them?
A "all variants" member can only get one specimen of each variant with their number. So if you mean 5 specimens of the same variant, then the answer would be no. A "new models only" member wouldn't receive any at all, because the base model Para 2 was the black G-10/S30V version.

On the other hand, if Spyderco produced five different CF Para 2's, (for example: CF/CPM-S30V, CF/CPM-S90V, Red CF/CPM-S30V, CF/CTS-20CP black blade, and CF/CTS-BD1) then an "all variants" member would get one of each.

Generally speaking:

Each edge type is a variant
Each distinct handle material is a variant
Each color of a given handle material is a variant
Each blade shape is a variant
Black blade is a variant if uncoated is available
Waved is a variant if non-waved is available
Blade grind can be, but is not always, a variant

When the FRN UKPK first came out, there was 1 base model and 18 variants. :eek: Drop point and leaf blades, each in 3 colors, each of which in 3 edge types, plus the orange SE Rescue blade.
Paul
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Where would one find the minimum purchase limits to qualify for the CC program?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jtoler_9 wrote:Where would one find the minimum purchase limits to qualify for the CC program?
Minimum would probably still be be the "new models only" level. This post should give you some idea of the various levels and what each entails. However, it's now over 2 years old, so there may have been some tweaks. The best way to get up-to-date info would be to contact Spyderco.
Paul
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Would be nice if there was one that was just for Sprints.