Pre-order Spydercos on Howe's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Pre-order Spydercos on Howe's

Post by jackknifeh »

I just got an email from Howe's about pre-ordering several different Spyderco knives to be released next year. $10 deposits are non-refundable unless it's his mistake. I'm sure lots of you will get the same email. Just wondering if it is common to put pre-orders up this early for so many different models.

Jack
Bearcat1

Post by Bearcat1 »

Jack,

What were the models to pre-order?

Thanks,
Jeff
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

This a great idea for buyers that are serious about buying a particular knife. It appears like the offers are his allocation and the collectors club numbers and not open ended orders.

I have seen other dealers take pre-orders that required no deposit or were unlimited. Not as reliable for the buyer. IMO, paying a small non refundable deposits commits the buyer and ends the hassle of returning prepaid orders if the buyer changes their mind or made several pre-orders and cannot follow through.

Anything that helps our favorite Spyderco dealers get us the knives we need is good. :D
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Slash

Post by Slash »

I thinks it's to ease the crazies that bombard your site and melt the servers when a particular knife lands.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A good dealer should pull the preorder listing if he/she gets an unrealistic level of purchasers. Sometimes they cut it off once the ordered (on their end) number is met, otherwise they leave it up wildly optimistic.

I like the deposit idea, even if it dissuades 20% of the folks that just increases our chances. Placing a preorder and ditching once an eBay BIN is available is pretty shady anyways. No risk, all reward.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Like KC, they still have it up as a pre-order and I'm sure they will get more orders than they can fill.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
nakahoshi

Post by nakahoshi »

I have successfully used the pre-order system at Howes to get the new Manix XL and the Yo2.

I have a Tenhno, Meerkat and Jester on pre order as well :p

I like how they list the CC numbers they offer up, I know some people don't like them but its insurance that you will get a particular sprint if you opt for the CC model.

Jim is a great guy btw and I highly recommend his store

-Bobby
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I am pretty sure Jim monitors the preorders. some of the knives he has listed; I have seen on other sites. Jim also puts up collectors version with certain #'d knives. I think he knows how many he can have preordered and will pull them when they hit a limit.
Just like some of the other knives, it will say no more preorders for that particular knife.

I currently have 4 knives on preorder with Jim. He also states that if you do not like the knife he will give a refund as long as the knife was not used. This applies to sprints as well. Jim appears to be a great guy and I love shopping through him. I am sure there are others as great as Jim, but I have not bought from them yet.

as far as the actual anser for why he shows some, before other places; I cannot answer. Maybe some like to wait till its near time and this way makes it easier. Also maybe he only does it when the knives are fairly close to release. IDK
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Bearcat1 wrote:Jack,

What were the models to pre-order?

Thanks,
Jeff
Here is the link.

http://www.howesknifeshop.com/spyderco- ... -deposits/

Jack
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I got my Yo2 and Des Horn and Manix XL through his pre-order program. Jim is a great guy and I think he started the pre-order deposit system to help and not as a money making adventure (not saying anyone has hinted at that).

Dan
:spyder:
Dan
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I can say without a doubt that Jim is on top of pre-orders. He has never failed to deliver one to me and I have bought several from him. A great guy to do business with. If it weren't for him I would have never landed a CF P2.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The guy from Howe's has gotten great compliments since I heard of Howe's. His reputation seems to be equalled only by Jeff at Cutleryshoppe. I have looked at Howe's site many times but I don't think I've ever ordered from there because the prices are always higher than CS. That practice will continue unless there is a knife on CS that is back ordered but available on Howe's. I believe customer service is as important as price so if I have to pay a little more at least I'll feel confident about who I am buying from if buying from Howe's. I hope he is aware that his service is not going unnoticed.

Jack
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I do too because he is a great guy and very good communicator. Also take into consideration that he has free shipping (I think) on all of his knives. Anymore I would rather pay a little more and get the service and he delivers on that.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
crankitup

Post by crankitup »

Howes is a great store....I have purchased several knives from Jim and can only say great things about his service... :D
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I've also ordered from Howes and had very good service. Have a couple on pre-order now.
Chief

Post by Chief »

Howe's has great prices and great customer service.

Plus, shipping is only two days to my house. :)
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

We are all on the same Page. Its always 2 day for me too and I live across the country from him. He always gets my orders out right after I place them unless I order at night; then he ships the next morning, he sends out tracking info right away. He answers all my emails even on his time off.

I always try to let him know how great of service he offers. He has Free shipping on all knives no matter what size. I find his prices to be equal to or better than CS, but not always. Of course I find much cheaper prices than both of them as well. It all depends on the particular knife.
I really like his preorder system and it makes it easier for everyone to get in on the knives, IMO.

bottom line is that he has a great operation with great service and delivers lightning quick for those that order last minute and wanted it yesterday!

I definitely put Jim & Jeff at the top 2 slots but there are rare occasions where we have to go elsewhere
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've also had good experience with Howe's. I've never used his pre-order system, but I've bought several items from his Spyderco Clearance bin. I got some really good deals that way on knives I might not have otherwise purchased at full price.
:bug-red-white
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'll echo the comments on Jim's shop - he's a top notch seller and communicates very well during the order fulfillment. And you can't beat free shipping!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I pre-ordered a G-10 Manbug for $10 on Howe's. Then I found the Jester on TheSpydercoStore.com and bought one. That means I don't really NEED the Manbug. I'll probably get one though. When I placed the pre-order I hadn't even thought about getting the Jester. I LOVE the tip on the Jester. The Jester is about identical in size as my the Ladybug3 salt so I don't NEED another knife that size.

So, what I'm thinking is if Howe's gets lots of pre-orders (non-refundable), some will be cancelled of course for one reason or another. For me it's only $10 but $10 times the number of cancellations may turn into a lot. Either way the knives will sell sooner or later. I like the idea of pre-orders on sprint runs because there will only be so many and if you want to guarantee that you get one the pre-order is one way. But for a pre-order of a regular production knife you are locking yourself into using that site when available or loosing the $10. I thought of this when I saw the Spyderco Chaparral $10 pre-order. That knife will be around for a long time so locking yourself into getting one from Howe's might be unwise.

I'm not knocking Howe's at all. I think the pre-order thing is good on normal production knives if you want one as soon as possible. It also gives the reseller an idea of how many to order unless they are limited by Spyderco. The FRN Manbug is on back order after a rush on however many were made available (by Spyderco I guess). Actually, the Jester seems to be out of stock at the resellers also, even TheSpydercoStore.com. Even though the Spyderco Store has "Spyderco" in it's name they are not owned by Spyderco. I think (THINK) they are the same as any other reseller.

Here is why I'm mentioning this. The pre-order on production knives was new to me, especially so many different models. Therefor I was hoping to get anyone's thoughts on why they would participate that I haven't thought of. I like the pre-order idea if for no other reason that it gives people another option to get a knife as soon as possible. Howe's is more expensive than some sites but that's nothing new. Lots of sites are more expensive than another. I paid more for my Jester at the Spyderco Store than it will cost on Cutleryshoppe.com I'm sure. But if I really wanted the knife and am willing to pay $50 for it I'd still get if it cost $57.

Jack