It's finally happened(Australia)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

sal wrote:The Aussie legal battle has been going on for a while now. They've also changed their minds a number of times in the past year as to their restrictions. We've been in communication with our distributor in Australia (Zen) and he's been on top of it throughout the changes.

The Resuce models are very popular with the emergency teams in Oz and now they aren't permitted to purchase or carry them. So, at this time, we are designing a Rescue model that will meet their needs and their laws. (two hand open, impossible to "flick" open).

Many countries are adjusting their knife laws almost on a daily basis. we've been working with afi's in different countries to try to create models that meet their new knife laws. (UK, Germany, Denmark and Australia to name a few).

sal
Sal,

Thanks for chiming in on this. When did you last year about the Rescue models from Zen?

From the last email I got from customs, which I referenced in a previous post, it would seem that just being single-hand opening(as defined by the proper industry standard) doesn't make it prohibited. I've had a bit more follow up from the customs dept, and they had this to say(the italic text was a quote from my email to them. the bold text is their reply):

"Could I further clarify? Would this mean that for a knife to be prohibited, it would have to be openable by inertia/gravity/centrifugal force, and the thumbstud/opening hole does not really factor in to the issue? Much like the previous 'flick knife' definition? - That is correct

In other words, the ability to open the UKPK with one hand using your thumb in the thumbhole does not in itself make it a prohibited 'single handed opener'? For it to be prohibited, it would *also* have to be opened via gravity/inertia/etc? - That is correct"

The officer goes on to give a link to the customs 'flick test' which can be viewed here <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NthM0-j76AU>

All in all, it's looking a bit more hopeful, as it sounds like most spyderco models, including the current rescue models, should pass through OK, as long as they have strongish detents, and not ultra-smooth blade pivots, as with the new Bushing systems.

It'd be really interesting to hear what the boys at Zen have heard about the latest news.
CaptIvanDanko

Post by CaptIvanDanko »

So the question for me living in Australia is what Spyderco should I try to get before stocks run out. Manix 2 or the Paramilitary?
sal

Post by sal »

CaptIvanDanko wrote:So the question for me living in Australia is what Spyderco should I try to get before stocks run out. Manix 2 or the Paramilitary?
Hi Jlong_away,

It seems tha the boys in Customs are very good a "flicking" (a learned skill) and at this time, only the Ladybug is legal. The "prohibitive" run is that they are not allowing importation.

Last I heard from Zen was a few weeks ago. They have certainly been frustrated by the whole ordeal. they've acually travelled to Customs and had many meetings on this.

Hi CaptIvanDanko,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

This world is going to **** in a handbasket.

Go ahead and try to take my guns or knives.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

sal wrote:The Aussie legal battle has been going on for a while now. They've also changed their minds a number of times in the past year as to their restrictions. We've been in communication with our distributor in Australia (Zen) and he's been on top of it throughout the changes.

The Resuce models are very popular with the emergency teams in Oz and now they aren't permitted to purchase or carry them. So, at this time, we are designing a Rescue model that will meet their needs and their laws. (two hand open, impossible to "flick" open).

Many countries are adjusting their knife laws almost on a daily basis. we've been working with afi's in different countries to try to create models that meet their new knife laws. (UK, Germany, Denmark and Australia to name a few).

sal
Sal, its great that you guys are working on making more legal knives, but like you said, countries are changing laws on a daily basis. A new knife can be legal one day and not the next. Are you ever worried that while designing and making one of these country specific knives, all of a sudden they are not legal in that area?

As far as the UKPK in Aus being illegal Jylong I assume that spyerdo hole dropping the knife will be considered assisted or a method of flixing/gravity. It takes a considerable amount of force to do it, but it can be done with the UKPK...so maybe customs has mastered this.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

It's just ridiculous, the same kinds of nanny state people exist in all countries and they can't stand the thought of responsible people having any sort of weapons. I'm glad to be in Wyoming, where common sense hasn't died.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

wsdavies wrote:It's just ridiculous, the same kinds of nanny state people exist in all countries and they can't stand the thought of responsible people having any sort of weapons. I'm glad to be in Wyoming, where common sense hasn't died.
Well, I ain't happy about it either, but you can rest assured that this "trend", and what's ultimately coming will sweep Wyoming right along with it. :mad:
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
dman62

Post by dman62 »

That really sucks. So if a knife that uses a thumb stud were shipped without the stud installed and the pivot screw tightened down customs would let it through?
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

CaptIvanDanko wrote:So the question for me living in Australia is what Spyderco should I try to get before stocks run out. Manix 2 or the Paramilitary?
I'm facing the same dilemma. I can't find anyone with the PM2 at all which is killing me. If you find a couple let me know please. In the meantime I'm trying to decide between the Military, Manix 2, Endura and Nature.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nighthawk,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Are you living in Oz?

sal
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Hi sal, yes I am. I've come late to the knife scene and initially thought Spydercos were about the weirdest thing I had ever seen. Then a dealer here offered up the Tenacious at an impossible to resist price and I figured I would find out what all the fuss was about. It took about 24 hours for it to become my EDC. Now I'm hooked and only just in time by the looks of it.

Trev
Niles

Post by Niles »

How difficult is it to get your concealed weapons license? Would it change things at all?
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Niles wrote:How difficult is it to get your concealed weapons license? Would it change things at all?
Not something I have looked into in great depth but the main sticking point I believe would be displaying to the authorities proof of what they term 'reasonable cause' to carry such an item. Primary producers, butchers, fishermen, chefs etc it's pretty straight forward. For the rest of us we're just criminals waiting to happen apparently.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

New Zealand has import liscences. Does Aus do it

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firea ... nives.html
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

[quote="razorsharp"]New Zealand has import liscences. Does Aus do it

They do but again you have to show 'reasonable excuse' why you should be allowed to bring the item into the country and you have to submit a new application every time you want to bring an item in. It is a lot of paperwork by all reports and still no guarantee you will get the item in. Even the licensed dealers here in Oz are holding off ordering stock for fear they will have it seized.

That NZ process looks a fair bit more user friendly.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I don't understand the rationale behind these laws. I live pretty far out of town and having a knife on you while outdoors is prefered. Why are these lawmakers passing these punitive laws?? Will they pass a similar law on hatchets or shovels??

A great deal of the Australian land mass is bush. Passing a statute to ban one hand opening folding knives is to me nonsensicle. It makes me wonder what is driving the effort.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

dbcad wrote:I don't understand the rationale behind these laws. I live pretty far out of town and having a knife on you while outdoors is prefered. Why are these lawmakers passing these punitive laws?? Will they pass a similar law on hatchets or shovels??

A great deal of the Australian land mass is bush. Passing a statute to ban one hand opening folding knives is to me nonsensicle. It makes me wonder what is driving the effort.
Honestly if I lived in the bush I would give a crap what the law says on carrying knives. I would still have one and I doubt there will be anyone out there to give me a hard time anyway. Im sure people who live there will say the same thing.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Lets ban Softball, them bats is deadly
Roan

Post by Roan »

Niles wrote:How difficult is it to get your concealed weapons license? Would it change things at all?
You would be meaning a 'prohibited weapons licence'. There is no concealed weapons licence, as that is the issue they have with pocket knives, and yet fixed blades they are fine with.

On a semi related note, I am yet to have anything taken by customs Australia (just jinxed myself). Between myself and a work colleague, we have collected over 25 different spyderco's in the last 24 months, no seizures yet. Touch wood.

I do make a habit of selecting my shipping method carefully, as it seems Anything which touches the hands of Australia Posts customs agents gets scrutinized far more than in the hands of some other customs officials.
Aussie Knife nut.
Incoming: Southfork
Latest arrivals: CF M390 Millie, Elmax Mule, Fallkniven S1
dj moonbat wrote:It's important to have at least 2 knives on you: one knife that's not going to scare anybody, and one that is.