Please help me choose my next Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BonnieDoon

Please help me choose my next Spydie

Post by BonnieDoon »

Hi everyone, as this is my first post to the Spyderco forum, I thought I would ask for some advice. I am in need to a new EDC knife, and I cannot decide which of the following to purchase:

Cally 3.5
Sage 1 or 2
Superleaf
PM2

I love them all but I am only allowed one for now :p , so I need some help. I keep coming back to the locking style of each knife as the real thing that is making me flip flop on my decision.
Viva La :spyder:

My :spyder: knives:
Endura 4 PE
Endure 4 SE
Foliage Green Delica 4 CE
Purple Endura 4 FFG
White Delica 4 CE
Aqua Salt SE
Dragonfly Salt PE
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I only own one on your list, but I can honestly say that the Para mil 2 is one of the best knives I have ever owned. PM2 gets my vote! Btw, if you have been Spydie bitten like most of us you will end up with more than one of those from your list :)
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

rg02 wrote:I only own one on your list, but I can honestly say that the Para mil 2 is one of the best knives I have ever owned. PM2 gets my vote! Btw, if you have been Spydie bitten like most of us you will end up with more than one of those from your list :)

+1

PM2 rules second would be Caly 3.5
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Caly 3.5
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

IG-88 wrote:+1

PM2 rules second would be Caly 3.5
+1 again. Welcome Aboard! You can't go wrong with the PM2, , ,the Caly 3.5 is a sweet knife too.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

BonnieDoon,
Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your stay.
Out of your list my first choice would be Caly3.5. Good size of the blade. great ergos, light and compact package. I carry this knife since they came out and carried Caly3 several years before that. Second choice will be Para2.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
GotDogs

Post by GotDogs »

I own a Sage2 and love it. Simple in design, fits well in the hand. Next I guess would be the Para 2 seeing is that it is the craze now so much so I want one as well.
I may look calm, but in my head I've killed you 3 times.
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

Sage 1 if you want a perfect gentlemanly edc knife
PM2 if you want pretty much the best production folder made
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
BonnieDoon

Post by BonnieDoon »

Thanks everyone for your input. I think that the consensus is the para 2. Now the question is what model I go for :p W&W has a few Gray sprint para 2s on hand. Is it worth the extra dough for the Carpenter steel? Or should i just stick to the always reliable S30V?

Endura 4 PE
Endure 4 SE
Purple Endura 4 FFG
White Delica 4 CE
Aqua Salt SE
Dragonfly Salt PE
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Go for the Digicam Para 2...I have one and its **** near perfect!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

DANG thats a tough list... maybe para, Great all around. get all eventually ;)
Mojo51

Post by Mojo51 »

Para 2 all the way
Tea Party Patriot and 3% Oath Keeper
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I only own the Sage1 and PM2(s30v) from your list. I have thought about the caly 3 or 3.5,& superleaf but undecided right now.
All the knives you have listed are great and would be happy no matter which one you chose.
For me I would start with the PM2 or one of the sage models. My first spydie was the PM2 its about the max I would personally go for edc, but thats just me.
I have not had the chance to use my sage yet either.

As far as PM2 and sprints or steels; thats all a matter of how you plan to use the knife and if you feel its worth it. There are a few new sprints starting to ship now that will be cheaper than the current price on the CTS-20P pricing. Also everyone has their opinion on the different steels.
I have the S30v ver, but have other S30v knives. I plan to save the S30v for my son and get the M390 and possibly the 20P. I will probably get the 204P/Green later this year when it comes. I have also heard that the M390 version should be comparable to the 20p version, but not sure how tru that is. You're talking 210-215 for the 20p and 185-190 for the M390(blue) version.
I myself am currently trying to get the different steels and will eventually try to compare them. This yr I plan to stick to Sprints and possibly discontinued knives as I have most of the current versions that interest me.

Good luck, you can't go wrong, but I say any of the sage or PM2
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

ive considered all those spydies myself, if it were me, i wouldnt pick what spyder to get, but what order to get them in ;)
BonnieDoon

Post by BonnieDoon »

I do plan on purchasing all the above, just need to figure out where to start. I do think the para 2 is the way to go. Might see if I can sneak a sage 1 in if get the standard para 2 :)

Endura 4 PE
Endure 4 SE
Purple Endura 4 FFG
White Delica 4 CE
Aqua Salt SE
Dragonfly Salt PE
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

Own all but super leaf. I sage 1 was my fav edc blade until I got my pm2. Cant go wrong with anyone but personally Para 2 is one of the best edc blades made. Sage 1 and 2 are not far behind either. I think the caly 3.5 is a little big.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Vicinadp wrote:Own all but super leaf. I sage 1 was my fav edc blade until I got my pm2. Cant go wrong with anyone but personally Para 2 is one of the best edc blades made. Sage 1 and 2 are not far behind either. I think the caly 3.5 is a little big.
have a para but caly is too big? LOL

Caly 3.5 is wonderful, SB is amazing if you can find that version. i thinkyou should start with the para.
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

Please get the para2 :D I'm actually holding mine right now. Pictures do not do justice!!! Its soo much different in person. and it fits your hand like a dream!<3 Maybe you can get the blue para2 M390 or M4 manix 2 is a good one :D
http://www.bentoboxshop.com
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

razorsharp wrote:ive considered all those spydies myself, if it were me, i wouldnt pick what spyder to get, but what order to get them in ;)
This!!! :D You know the deal Travis! :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome Bonniedoon. For what it's worth you can't beat the PM2.