Official thread of the C-44 Dyad Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cckw

Post by cckw »

For me I would consider it one of the worst possibilities for a Sprint. I don't think the Dyad Jr sold very well. I have a dealer that saves me 2 of every sprint and I always take them, even if I don't want them, although the Dyad Jr is the only one I didn't want. I had a hard time getting rid of them without totally taking a bath on them.
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Another reason for a sprint is that although not everyone liked it the C44 Dyad remains a pretty exclusive model due to the short run it had and i guess it would be a chance for the newer crowd to try it out... :)
JD Spydo

The C-44 has a huge fan base

Post by JD Spydo »

cckw wrote:For me I would consider it one of the worst possibilities for a Sprint. I don't think the Dyad Jr sold very well. I have a dealer that saves me 2 of every sprint and I always take them, even if I don't want them, although the Dyad Jr is the only one I didn't want. I had a hard time getting rid of them without totally taking a bath on them.
Hey I can appreciate a negative opinion on any of the great Spyderco models. Because there are many of the newer, wide bladed models that I don't particularly like.

But do consider that there are a lot of Spyder afficionados that dearly love the big C-44 Dyad as much as I do and there are more than enough of us to make a Sprint run a success.

Also consider it's really one of the very, very few full sized folders with both a serrated and plain edged blade that are as functional as the C-44 Dyad.

And do keep in mind that there are no models of Spyders that virtually everyone likes. Because everyone's cutting needs are different. But I can personally assure everyone that there are plenty of fans of the C-44 model.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

What is the advantage of the Dyad over the Byrd Wings?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

cckw wrote:For me I would consider it one of the worst possibilities for a Sprint. I don't think the Dyad Jr sold very well. I have a dealer that saves me 2 of every sprint and I always take them, even if I don't want them, although the Dyad Jr is the only one I didn't want. I had a hard time getting rid of them without totally taking a bath on them.
First off, they're two entirely different knives so making assumptions about the one based on assumptions about the other is of questionable validity. Just checked three dealers (CS, KC, and NGK) and all show the Dyad Jr as out of stock. Just because you had a hard time selling yours doesn't mean they did not sell. They may not have raced off the shelves in days like some of the Military, Manix 2, and PM2 Sprints but, unlike the white Goddard Jr Sprint, they sold out reasonably fast.

Based on comparative prices for both Dyad versions on eBay prior to the Blue Dyad Jr Sprint, I think there's considerably more interest in the large Dyad and that a Sprint Run of it would sell out within a couple months.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Byrd vs Spyderco Dyad: A huge difference

Post by JD Spydo »

Shakyamuni wrote:What is the advantage of the Dyad over the Byrd Wings?
In my opinion comparing Byrd to Spyderco is almost like comparing Timex watches to Rolex Watches. Now I'm not saying that Byrd blades are bad at all and I know many people that have told me that they get good service from the Byrd line of blades.

But the original C-44 Dyad is truly like a precision piece of engineering with premium blade steel and top notch handle material. Whereas the Byrd wings model is more comparable to a middle of the line brand of folder like you would get at your local hardware store. If you ever get a C-44 Dyad you'll see immediately the difference between the two of them>> and it's a huge difference believe me.

The C-44 Dyad like many Spyders is truly a rugged piece of cutlery that is suitable for extremely demanding cutting jobs and would be excellent for all kinds of survival and environments that would ruin many knives on the market. The big Dyad is truly my favorite all purpose Spyderco folder made up till now.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Mircata and super steel, I could see it being a gents knife... but thats just me...
Cheers!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Rockcrawler wrote:Mircata and super steel, I could see it being a gents knife... but thats just me...
The Micarta sort of gives it the gents looks,but slap some G-10 on it, and it gives it that look of a working mans knife.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Hey JD, we need some pictures! I'd like to see a comparison picture. I've never held or seen a C-44
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Good micarta has the unique property of feeling "sticky" when wet, even if it's wet with oil or blood. IMHO, it has about as much traction as textured G-10 when you need traction the most, it just looks a hundred times better and doesn't get grungy looking as easily.

Micarta and VG-10 would be my first choice, if I were up for one. Keeps it as close to the original as possible, and keeps the cost reasonable. H-1 would require changes to the liners and hardware, and giving up that great FFG PE blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Micarta would be the best but.....

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:Good micarta has the unique property of feeling "sticky" when wet, even if it's wet with oil or blood. IMHO, it has about as much traction as textured G-10 when you need traction the most, it just looks a hundred times better and doesn't get grungy looking as easily.

Micarta and VG-10 would be my first choice, if I were up for one. Keeps it as close to the original as possible, and keeps the cost reasonable. H-1 would require changes to the liners and hardware, and giving up that great FFG PE blade.
That's true Deac but this newer G-10 like the scales on the newer Ayoob model is pretty grippy>> It's more grippy than my Dodo and Lum folder for instance. I do still prefer some type of Micarta as my first choice but I could easily live with the newer G-10 as well. And I do agree that for field use the micarta is slightly better IMO as well.

I could again live with a VG-10 blade if that would keep the cost down for many who are stretched financially here in this time of severe recession ( and boy have I felt the pinch :o ). But to me one of the supersteels I feel would give it a collector appeal as well as being a "Super EDC" folder that even custom knife fans would envy.

I do want another color other than the original model. Sorry I have no way of posting pics at this time :o I'm still clawing my way back.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

JD Spydo wrote:That's true Deac but this newer G-10 like the scales on the newer Ayoob model is pretty grippy>> It's more grippy than my Dodo and Lum folder for instance. I do still prefer some type of Micarta as my first choice but I could easily live with the newer G-10 as well. And I do agree that for field use the micarta is slightly better IMO as well.

I could again live with a VG-10 blade if that would keep the cost down for many who are stretched financially here in this time of severe recession ( and boy have I felt the pinch :o ). But to me one of the supersteels I feel would give it a collector appeal as well as being a "Super EDC" folder that even custom knife fans would envy.

I do want another color other than the original model. Sorry I have no way of posting pics at this time :o I'm still clawing my way back.
I do like the Micarta handle And VG-10 Blade combination.
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

I would like to see the Dyad in red translucent with vg-10 or H1 or preferably any steel and made in USA. I would be like Redd Fox calling Elizabeth.
Rockcrawler

Post by Rockcrawler »

Lord vader wrote:The Micarta sort of gives it the gents looks,but slap some G-10 on it, and it gives it that look of a working mans knife.
G10 would be cheaper I imagine.., either or just don't make it FRN and I would buy one in a heartbeat!
Cheers!
JD Spydo

ZDP-189, Crucible S3V or Super Blue Steel

Post by JD Spydo »

Lord vader wrote:I do like the Micarta handle And VG-10 Blade combination.
Yeah I could live with the VG-10/Micarta combination>> however I think it's really high time that they do a Sprint Run of a C-44 Dyad in a new generation blade steel.

The more I think about it and the more I do work with my ZDP Caly Jr I truly think that ZDP-189 or some steel in that league would really do justice for a big Dyad model. I would either like it in ZDP-189 or one of the great Crucible steels.

Hey maybe it would be a real barn burner in Super Blue Steel :cool: or Crucible's S3V :cool:

I'll be buying at least 2 of them no matter which blade steel that they decide on.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Was the original C-44 made in Seki, or Golden? If the sprint was the same it would make sense to use the same maker, same tooling, wouldn't it? If made in Seki it would be Japanese steel, and if Golden then probably anything except Japanese steel would be used.
JD Spydo

Japan or Golden CO USA fine by me

Post by JD Spydo »

Bill1170 wrote:Was the original C-44 made in Seki, or Golden? If the sprint was the same it would make sense to use the same maker, same tooling, wouldn't it? If made in Seki it would be Japanese steel, and if Golden then probably anything except Japanese steel would be used.
The original C-44 big Dyad was made in Seki City Japan. It was made with ATS-55 blade steel, Micarta handle.

However do keep in mind that there have been past models that were made in both Japan and Golden CO USA. The Meerkat, Renegade & Blackhawk were 3 that come to mind.

Being the Dyad was one of Mr. Glesser's sterling designs I have no doubt that it could easily be made in Golden.

Personally I don't care which plant that they would make it in. Japan or Golden have both shown excellent quality in the past. I would prefer either Japan or Golden CO USA because my best quality Spyders have all come from those 2 plants.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD, Paul,

Micarta has many advantages, but also disadvantages; shrinkage and difficult to find recently.

We're having some luckwith the brown canvas micarta that we use on the Temperance 2. Also the maker of the Dyad has found some micarta that we'll be using on a Lum Sprint next year.

As long as we're having the discussion, I'd be interested in getting more input on handle material and steels.

I think we can pull it off, if not in 2012, perhaps in 2013.

sal
JD Spydo

Brown Micarta great! Why not consider the newer G-10?

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:Hi JD, Paul,

Micarta has many advantages, but also disadvantages; shrinkage and difficult to find recently.

We're having some luckwith the brown canvas micarta that we use on the Temperance 2. Also the maker of the Dyad has found some micarta that we'll be using on a Lum Sprint next year.

As long as we're having the discussion, I'd be interested in getting more input on handle material and steels.

I think we can pull it off, if not in 2012, perhaps in 2013.

sal
Mr. Glesser why would not the type of G-10 that you all used on the recent Ayoob Sprint be a good idea for a handle material for the C-44? To me that was the best G-10 handle I've seen up till now. And I'm a real fan of the G-10 that was originally used on the Dodo and the late 90s Harpy that I carry daily.

The Canvas Brown Micarta that is used on the Temp 2 I think is excellent handle material.

And why wouldn't ZDP-189 be perfect for the C-44 Dyad??? It worked so well with the Caly Jr that I would bet it would be perfect for the PE and SE blade both on the Dyad; or would it pose a manufacturing problem? But if VG-10 would make it more cost effective I wouldn't at all be opposed to using VG-10. But a Sprint Run of this caliber I believe just deserves a super steel like ZDP-189.

Not only would big Dyad fans like myself love this blade with ZDP I think it would make it a superior collector piece for the collector community. But on the other hand I don't see how you could at all go wrong with VG-10. It's becoming my favorite hard user steel. I've been using my TEMP 1 FB-05 a lot lately and I'm appreciating VG-10 more and more.

I just want the new Dyad to be a Super User as well as one of the most envied Spyders ever made :cool:
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah I could live with the VG-10/Micarta combination>> however I think it's really high time that they do a Sprint Run of a C-44 Dyad in a new generation blade steel.

The more I think about it and the more I do work with my ZDP Caly Jr I truly think that ZDP-189 or some steel in that league would really do justice for a big Dyad model. I would either like it in ZDP-189 or one of the great Crucible steels.

Hey maybe it would be a real barn burner in Super Blue Steel :cool: or Crucible's S3V :cool:

I'll be buying at least 2 of them no matter which blade steel that they decide on.
I`m not at all apposed to having G-10 and ZDP-189 combo, I`d definitely be satisfied with that.