Where are all the old forum members?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Where are all the old forum members?

Post by Evil D »

This forum has 12,624 members, but aside from a few veteran regulars, if you look at the average thread, all the members registered in '09 or later, with the majority of them being '10 and '11. Where's all the seniors at?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Obviously chased off by us youth with our loud fashion and hippity-hop music. ;)
usmc1371

Post by usmc1371 »

Maybe they got tired of all the "why don't spyderco make something like (insert brand here) cause that would be way better than whats offerd now" threads. :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

erm..
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

defenestrate wrote:erm..
Hush noob :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

errrrr.....I'm still here :cool: ....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

I may not post often, But I read most of the posts and I'm still here :D
Merry Christmas
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

(Coughs obnoxiously, complains about kids vis a vis lawns)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
gac

Post by gac »

I don't know if I count as an older member.

I own a J.D. Smith sprint run and a Native. Since I already have the two most perfect knives in the world I have not been watching the boards as much.
KaliGman

Good evening

Post by KaliGman »

Like Chuck Norris, I do not sleep (or leave the Spyderco Forum), I merely wait :D .

Actually, I was just thinking about the forum yesterday, as I have not been here in ages, and have not posted in an even longer time. I was thinking about the forum due to the fact that I needed to get in contact with Doc and let him know that, in the near future, he will be able to talk about that prototype I sent him. Keen Edge Knives has some of the first production batch in heat treat, and will be marketing them a short time after the holidays. I will do a video with this fixed blade fighter as soon as I get my first production model. I'll drop you a line after Christmas, Doc.

It has been an extraordinary year. I have been ridiculously busy, and have started a new program here on my task force that has taken off throughout the state, and which has also required me to travel to other states to train other law enforcement on how we are doing it. As for my home turf, violence has been off the hook lately, and has not slowed down when the weather turned cold. As a supervisor, I normally spend more time in a business suit than body armor, but, this year, I was toting an M-4 or MP-5 and wearing armor quite a lot. Sometimes I ended up running from a budget or other meeting, tossing the jacket, strapping the armor on over the dress shirt, and grabbing a long gun. In addition to work issues, one of my good friends, and the man who for years managed the Albo Kali Silat website, was tragically shot and killed this year. The website has not been updated in some time for this and other reasons. One of my students is now assisting me with the site, and we hope to have updates soon. I had some family illnesses and one death (my nephew) this year as well. All in all, it has been a very difficult year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays gang. Maybe I'll get a chance to stop in every now and again, say hello, comment on some knives, and post a video or two.

Jon
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I guess I am an oldie as well.....this year has been a whopper for me, but prayers and a big dose of well wishes goes out to the GMan. Knifebro I was up in your area latter summer, instead of leisure time with the Mrs. Family, it was to attend a funeral. Any way through everything we all need to appreciate the fact that we are still here. Some of us lay it on the line daily,.....our profession and just life period pulls us away from the forums. With that being said......its always good to return to spyderville! :(
Tank

Post by Tank »

I'm still around. Most of the time ;)
-John
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Tank wrote:I'm still around. Most of the time ;)
Same here ... :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I´m still here :D

Stayed away from here because Syderco seemed to stay away from putting full SpyderEdges on their new models :(

However after using traditional slip joints for a while I have come to appreciate a plain edge as well. Heck, I´m carrying an Ambitious right now and it´s slowly becoming a favourite :D

Regardless if I had to choose between two similar models in Pe or Se, I´ll choose the one in full SpyderEdge in less than a heart beat.

To me a REAL Spyderco must still have a hole and full SpyderEdge :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
JD Spydo

They want rid of me but...

Post by JD Spydo »

Many folks would like to see me go away :D And they have tried but failed to get rid of me :rolleyes:

I've even heard that there is a conspiracy to delete that great thread entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill" :eek:

Seriously though I think many of them have migrated over to the USN forum, Bladeforums and even some of them have jumped ship all together :eek:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Forum member #33, still here. :cool:
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

Some like me join forums to be able to ask questions to gain knowledge. Then after a year or two or three after I have gained all the knowledge I want about that particular subject, or all the knowledge the active members are able to help me with, I jump ship.

BTW whenever possible I try to pass on the knowledge I have learned, or know to other members that want to learn. To me forums are for people to help each other!

Bert
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Get off my lawn, you little pukes! :D I'm kidding - I hope puke isn't too harsh a word.
Haven't heard from Agent starling, Hannibal, or Axlis for ever.

- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:This forum has 12,624 members, but aside from a few veteran regulars, if you look at the average thread, all the members registered in '09 or later, with the majority of them being '10 and '11. Where's all the seniors at?
Probably we need to define who seniors are? Also there is huge difference between registered forum member and active forum member. Out of 12,624 registered members less 1000 has 100 posts. About 60% of registered members never posted at all. Some people joined forum to ask a question, some people were active and well-known, but developed different hobby or just lost interest to :spyder: for variety of reasons (I hope they still have :spyder: in their pocket). Spyderco knives also changed.
I miss quite a few old members. My good friend WhyNot is one of them. I know, he still visiting may be once a month, he didn't post for more than a year.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Maybe the spydie bug... is a very deadly bug... and it.... kills. O_O
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull