ParaMilitary2 and Gayle Bradley

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

ParaMilitary2 and Gayle Bradley

Post by jackknifeh »

I would appreciate any information on how people feel about the Paramilitary2 knife and the Gayle Bradley. A comparison I mean. If you could only have the GB or para, which would it be. I'm interested in anything that you feel is important. They look to be very different in many ways. I have an opinion of the two blade steels. I have a GB and love the knife and have wanted a para for quite a while but always seem to buy around it.

Thanks for any info. from people who have used both.

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Tough call. In my opinion they fill the same purpose. I think that it is more a question of materials and weight and your preference. I can't imagine that in 99.9% of cases that there would be a strength difference...I think the only thing that really differentiates them other then the materials is the tip. The para2 has a much more acute tip. Personally, I prefer the GB. The obvious reason for me is the lock cutout not being comfortable, however, the overall construction and materials are what really sways me towards the GB.
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

Jack, I have both. To me the GB is more of a heavy duty utility folder than the Para 2. For light duty EDC throw the Para 2 in your pocket. You will not be disappointed. Both are great knives.

If I could have only one, the GB would win hands down. The construction, materials, beauty, blade design, scales, and several other reasons to me make it better than the Para 2. The Para 2 wins in at least three categories - weight, compression lock, and design. It just fits better in your hand.

I know you like your GB and will venture a guess that if you purchase a Para 2, you will NOT be disappointed. You will like it also.

Bert
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

ya I agree with mr snoosnoo, both are similar in what they offer as far as cutting and it comes down to preference. If you like to change up your carry or want variety then ya, go for a para 2. If you want a much easier lock than the gb, which the para 2 offers, then go for one. I know how playing with the gb can take a toll on your thumb after unlocking that sturdy liner.

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have both. The GB is great. It's solid, good looking, and I have nothing against it. But given the choice, I'd take a Para 2 every time. Especially if it's the S90V or 20CP model. I prefer the handle ergonomics, blade shape, steel (S90V or 20CP), weight, slimness, and lock mechanism of the Para 2. In comparison, the GB seems bulky in the pocket, and not quite as comfortable to hold or operate, IMO. M4 will likely have an advantage over S30V, but I'd still take the Para 2 for the other reasons mentioned. That's my experience, YMMV of course.

But if you haven't tried the Para 2, I can't recommend it highly enough.
:bug-red-white
HighDesertSpyder

Hmmm! I am no help really

Post by HighDesertSpyder »

:spyder: Hi Jack,
GB is a little heavy so it seems sometimes. Carbon Fiber handles like your beloved Sage would be a bonus on top of a really nice design. It would be nice to own the first GB collab with Spyderco. Steel is nice and the blade has a sleek and useful profile.
On the other hand, the PM2 is a universal winner and more of a user. I think the GB might get put on the shelf. I am no help really... I love both selections, so, I say get both as permitted.

Just one more thought, the PM2 is going to be around but the GB1 might go away someday!!!

Have a great day
Josh :spyder:
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

I've had both for a short time then traded them. I had the Gayle Bradley for less than a week and didn't really give myself or the knife a chance to like or dislike it, I definately want another one though. I traded it for a Para1. I carried a Para2 for about 3 months. It's a great fast in/out knife to make your cut and move on. I traded it for another Para1, I just like the 1's better :) . No complaints about either knife though.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

eneyman wrote:ya I agree with mr snoosnoo, both are similar in what they offer as far as cutting and it comes down to preference. If you like to change up your carry or want variety then ya, go for a para 2. If you want a much easier lock than the gb, which the para 2 offers, then go for one. I know how playing with the gb can take a toll on your thumb after unlocking that sturdy liner.

Great comparison pic.

Thanks for all the input. VERY informative and exactly what I was hoping for.

Jack
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

Verry tough decision! Gayle for heavy duty work. its built like a **** tank and will last forever! just keep the blade clean and taken care of :) but if you want just a light duty edc then para 2, Beautiful knife! and it can handle the most the tasks the gayle can but i just think the beefyness of the gayle is a step up in reliability and long term use. How about both? :p :D Goodluck on your choice bro! and be sure to post up a review!! :D

EDIT: Also the tip of the Gayle seems A LOT sturdier than the PM2
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I was all set to answer the question, but this post said everything I was going to say. My GB is definitely not for sale, but the Para2 is a much better general use folder for my needs.
gbelleh wrote:I have both. The GB is great. It's solid, good looking, and I have nothing against it. But given the choice, I'd take a Para 2 every time. Especially if it's the S90V or 20CP model. I prefer the handle ergonomics, blade shape, steel (S90V or 20CP), weight, slimness, and lock mechanism of the Para 2. In comparison, the GB seems bulky in the pocket, and not quite as comfortable to hold or operate, IMO. M4 will likely have an advantage over S30V, but I'd still take the Para 2 for the other reasons mentioned. That's my experience, YMMV of course.

But if you haven't tried the Para 2, I can't recommend it highly enough.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have both a GB and a PM2 20CP.

If I had to choose, I'd take the PM2.

Look, the GB is impressive, its pretty, its solid, and its built like a tank. It has a few other things going for it, like impressive fit and finish, the CF scales, the smooooth opening action. I like the way the M4 develops some character with use. I also like the anodized (?) black/bronze pocket clip. All in all, I like it very much, and carry it often if I wear jeans.

While I like the GB a lot, I just LOVE the PM2. It just works so **** well. To me this is one of those rare cases where the whole package is more than the sum of the parts.

Its much lighter and thinner than the GB, so its noticeably more comfortable/easier to carry. I often don't even notice it in my pocket, even while wearing light shorts.

The PM2 is more comfortable in my hand than the GB. Also the compression lock is truly a one hand open and close lock IMHO. I cannot close the GB easily and consistently with one hand, that beefy liner lock is just too tight.

Finally, the 20CP is more maintenance free (stainless) vs the GB's M4. I also notice the 20CP's improved edge retention over M4.

Conclusion: I just find the PM2 to be a bit more user friendly than the GB, and as a result it gets more pocket time (in my pocket as we speak, what do you know... :) )

What about a PM2 S30V vs GB, you might ask? If I had to take a guess, the PM2 would still win, if only by a hair.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

For me, a Para2 in M4 would be about a perfect knife. A GB in S30v, wouldn't be that appealing to me. So it's a toss-up for me because I love the steel in one (GB), and ergos/lightweight of the other (Para2).
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I agree with "brock o lee". I've got both. It's almost like picking a favorite child. You can't. The GB is almost too nice to carry and use... ALMOST. The PM2 is a really versatile user / EDC.

My "problem" is I've got so many Spydies (about 50), and I love them ALL. So, picking one to carry is tough. Is it possible to carry all 50 simultaneously? Think folks might notice? ;)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Doc Snubnose does it. :D
:bug-red-white
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

I love both. The M4 of the GB takes a really fine edge, it looks really good and the fit and finish is impeccable. The PM2 is lighter, more agile, more ergonomic, the lock is a bit easier to operate and S30V is nothing to scoff at. If I could have one, it'd be the PM2. I carry that knife more than any other; nearly a year straight.
-Ryan
Bert T

Post by Bert T »

Jack, as you see no one said do not get the Para2. I have not counted, but off hand I would say more people like it better than the GB. What the ****! You ain't gonna take that money with you. Buy one. If you don't like it, send it to me. I will see that it gets a good home.

Bert
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Looks like its all been said. I own both, PM2 S30v. I have not used the GB yet but it's a beautiful knife, much more so than the PM2. I like the compression lock more and it's ball bearing smooth. I feel more comfortable using the PM2 for edc, but that may change.
I love all my spydies and I do not think you will be disappointed to get a pm2. I do not really like to get multiples ATM as I would rather get more models,but I am thinking of getting the cts-20cp ver, m390, and possibly the cts-204p versions coming. Right now I am trying to collect various knives & steels. Once I find the steels I like most; I will probably stick to those.
I think it's unanimous that if you have the money; you should pick one up and you will be very happy. Good luck with your decision
Johann

Post by Johann »

I bought a PM2 and really wanted to like it; the compression lock is quite cool, the blade shape is nice and it's fairly light, as everyone has already said. Unfortunately it's just too small for my large hands -- small enough to be somewhat uncomfortable for me to hold (I'd love to get my hands on a Military).

I've almost purchased the Gayle Bradley twice now, but backed out at the last second due to being a little worried about the price (I'm not a wealthy man, haha). The blade shape (strong tip), blade steel, thick liners and overall tank-like build quality all make it really appealing -- I even like the weight.

I think you would really like the Paramilitary 2 for the reasons the other guys have given; it's a strongly built, well-refined and aesthetically pleasing knife (assuming you don't have silly hands like I do :P)
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Johann wrote:I bought a PM2 and really wanted to like it; the compression lock is quite cool, the blade shape is nice and it's fairly light, as everyone has already said. Unfortunately it's just too small for my large hands -- small enough to be somewhat uncomfortable for me to hold (I'd love to get my hands on a Military).

I've almost purchased the Gayle Bradley twice now, but backed out at the last second due to being a little worried about the price (I'm not a wealthy man, haha). The blade shape (strong tip), blade steel, thick liners and overall tank-like build quality all make it really appealing -- I even like the weight.

I think you would really like the Paramilitary 2 for the reasons the other guys have given; it's a strongly built, well-refined and aesthetically pleasing knife (assuming you don't have silly hands like I do :P)
You can find the GB for about the same price as a PM2; I paid $107 shipped for mine. I also want to add that the way the handle is on the GB is a little uncomfortable for me, but it may take a little getting used to because its a different design; for your larger hands its probably no problem.
Sorry; didn't see where you are located; so pricing may be quite a bit different for you.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

Both good knives: I have two PM2 and a first gen GB.

The PM2's are sprints and I like the steels used (plus CF on the S90v model). The GB manages to feel more special, though.

The GB first-gen non-skeletonised liners are easier to clean at the expense of weight.

The GB "choil" is shallow and provides less resistance to forward slip. Not really a problem. M4 isn't a nightmare for corrosion but if you are around saltwater a lot it might not be the best option.

Not everyone gets on with the compression lock- I like it.

If I had to choose an S30v PM2 versus a GB, I'd take the GB. Not because I dislike S30v; the choice is so close that steel would swing it.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior