The paramilitary is the knife for me.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ac700wildcat

The paramilitary is the knife for me.

Post by ac700wildcat »

I got a satin digi camo Para2 back in July and it keeps kicking everything else out of my pocket since then. I occasionally switch to a Manix, Buck Vantage Pro, or a BM 940, but it only lasts a day or two and the Para is back in my pocket for another three or four weeks. I have a Gayle Bradley on the way, which should show up tomorrow, but I don't think that will beat it out of my pocket either. I'm in love with how easy and fast the Para is to open and with how smooth it is. The s30v holds a great edge for me and I've only had to touch it up once since I reprofiled it on my Edge Pro.

I think I'm going to start trying to get my hands on a black and satin version and some sprints. I really want to get the cts-20cp version, but the price on them now is quite high. I missed out on a new on the other day for a pretty good price, so I'll have to keep looking. I think I might order the BBS version or the CS version depending on what steel the CS version will be using, or I might just have to try get both.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

It's the same for me mate :)
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I have had my Para 2 for a week and love it! It feels perfect. I have a gayle Bradley due to me next week based on board member recommendations over the sage 3 and Manix 2. How do you like the GB? Have you picked up anymore Para 2s?
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

I keep drifting back to the PM2 on CS's website, and I'll probably man-up and get one,someday. But,I keep thinking that if I'm going to get a big honkin' folder, I could get a Manix for myself, AND one for my brother's upcoming birthday, for just a little more money.
Also, what's this I'm reading about side-to-side play being common ( even acceptable? ) in the PM2's ? There's just no way I could get used to that, regardless of its other qualities. ( BTW,any further info on that would be appreciated.)
Another question : what's the deal with the black-bladed versions? What is the coating, and how abrasion resistent is it ? Seems I recall reading that the blade coating could make it a somewhat less efficient slicer.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Congrats on para, Im getting an m390 para soon...i might go for express mail :D . im impatient
ac700wildcat

Post by ac700wildcat »

The Gayle Bradley is supposed to show tomorrow, so I don't know how the two compare yet. I've been watching the bay for a decently priced cst-20cp para, but everything on there is $250 and up right now. I'd like to get one for something like $200. The one I missed out on the other day was right around the $200 mark.

The Para that I have doesn't really have any side to side play. You can detect a very very small amount if you hold the tip of the blade and try wiggle it, but you really have to be picky to detect it. I think almost every folder I have has that very small amount of play whether its from Spyderco, Benchmade, or other Mfgs. I've read about other people saying that their Para had side play, but they must really be nitpicking. I would tell you to get one and if you don't like it, you can probably sell it for the same price you paid or just a small loss. I have nothing to offer about the black bladed versions. They just don't appeal to me.

When is BBS supposed to get the m390 Para?
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

MIL-DOT wrote:I keep drifting back to the PM2 on CS's website, and I'll probably man-up and get one,someday. But,I keep thinking that if I'm going to get a big honkin' folder, I could get a Manix for myself, AND one for my brother's upcoming birthday, for just a little more money.
Also, what's this I'm reading about side-to-side play being common ( even acceptable? ) in the PM2's ? There's just no way I could get used to that, regardless of its other qualities. ( BTW,any further info on that would be appreciated.)
Another question : what's the deal with the black-bladed versions? What is the coating, and how abrasion resistent is it ? Seems I recall reading that the blade coating could make it a somewhat less efficient slicer.
No side to side play or any other unwanted plays :D on my Para2 or in any of my other Spyderco knives.

I have three more :spyder: 's on order, a Para2 S35VN, Manix2 XL and a Caly3.5 SB and am hopeful that they will not have any issues either.

On coatings, I have two Cold Steel blades, an American Lawman and a Recon 1. Both are with a coating of Teflon if I remember correctly. I used the lawman on Bamboo and no issues. only the usual scuff marks. You might like to look at Evil D's post on the Para2 with DLC coating in relation to Spyderco's.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Congrats and welcome. Agree with everything on the Para. You do know that its legal to carry more than one at a time. I don't think that your Para will mind if the new GB rides along in another pocket, for those tough cutting chores, to save the Para2. I HAVE to carry severaral at a time. One is too tough to decide on.
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Before the Para2, I used to EDC the CF Stretch for quite a while exclusively, and I thought that was "the one" for the years to come. When a new folder arrived, I usually carried it for a few days, but soon went back to the Stretch. Since the Para2 came in, the Stretch sits in the showcase...

I didn't even expect the Para2 to become an EDC knife for me before I ordered it, especially since the Para1 didn't made it my EDC for long (I always hurt my hand when reaching into the pocket b/c of the wide blade tang), but P2 is really one of the best EDC I had from Spyderco, and over the years, I've accumulated quite a lot of them....

easy to open, yet rock solid lock
exactly the right size (better than P1)
nice materials
bade shape just right
nice pointy tip
tip up/down (better than P1)
not too bulky in the pocket (better than P1)

and the list goes on.

Sal and Eric took the Para and improved it exactly where it was necessary, and BOOM - here's one of the best (selling) knifes from Spyderco. The price adjustment experiment doesn't hurt either ;)

Dennis
rg02

Post by rg02 »

MIL-DOT wrote:I keep drifting back to the PM2 on CS's website, and I'll probably man-up and get one,someday. But,I keep thinking that if I'm going to get a big honkin' folder, I could get a Manix for myself, AND one for my brother's upcoming birthday, for just a little more money.

Side to side (minimal!) play on my para 2 was easily fixed by adjusting the pivot screw slightly. No issues at all now :) . I love it!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have been wanting a Paramilitary2 for a long time. It never caught my attention when looking at it in the catalog. Looks like a very nice knife, just never jumped out or the catalog onto my wish list. But, with the high recommendations it gets on this forum I've been thinking about it more and more. I've come to trust the recommendations here. Of course, one knife that everyone loves may not be the one for someone else. One thing I would hate if I got one and loved it is that some other knife I have now and love might get replaced. That sounds like a strange complaint but I already feel that way about the few knives I have. This is the reason I ordered a 2"x8" ultra-fine sharpening stone last night. I was debating on the para or the stone and the stone won. The knife would be great but I already have more knives than I need (but not enough :) ) and the ultra-fine stone is something I don't have. The closest thing I have to it is the DMT fine 2"x6" stone. I'm pretty sure the UF ceramic stone will be of a finer grit than the DMT fine stone.

I have a GB and I really want to hear any opinions of comparison between the GB and Para2. In fact, I'm going to start a thread for that comparison because the GB is a GREAT knife IMO. I'd like to get input on them from people who have used both. I think that would be interesting.

Jack
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Jack

I am excited to read on the comparisons on the para 2 and gb. I have a gb on its way to me next week :)
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

ac700wildcat wrote:I think I might order the BBS version or the CS version depending on what steel the CS version will be using, or I might just have to try get both.
Def pre-order soon man! They'll be dropping January 1st!! I pre-ordered mine today and im sooo hyped for it to come :D :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

For the last 16 months, nothing has been able to kick the Para 2 from my pocket. The only other knives that get any regular front pocket carry are CRKs. I don't know how the S90V Para 2 could be improved for my EDC purposes.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Same here, the only knives i see that are gonna get mine out of my pocket are a sprint run Para 2 or the Yojimbo, but i have a feeling i might carry the Para 2 and Yojimbo 2 at the same time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BAL

Post by BAL »

Evil D wrote:Same here, the only knives i see that are gonna get mine out of my pocket are a sprint run Para 2 or the Yojimbo, but i have a feeling i might carry the Para 2 and Yojimbo 2 at the same time.
I have both in my pockets now. Yo2 for SD, Para2 for EDC. I even have an Endura in case some one needs to borrow a blade or if I need to cut something really rough. I also have a ladybug zdp for splinters and what-not.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I have both the Para 2 and GB. Love them both. The cf GB with full liners is a little heavy (but this gives it a solid feeling) and I had mine customized by having additional relief added to the liner and scale. This fully exposes the Spydie hole. Also makes for better access to the liner lock. I like the GB cf better than the G-10 and also like the CPM-M4 better than the S30V. The gb may be the smoothest opening Spydie I have, better than some of the axis blades I have. That being said, the overall design, ergo's, blade shape and especially the compression lock make the Para 2 my most carried folder. I really don't know how you improve this design? I keep mine by my bedside if that tells you something. Have the blue M390 on preorder. CAN'T WAIT. Not trying to hijack this thread, will glady move this if Jack starts a GB/Para comparison thread. The Para 2 is also for me. :D :spyder:
ac700wildcat

Post by ac700wildcat »

I suppose I should give a little update. I received my GB and its a tank of a knife. I traded for it on another forum and it was supposed to be lightly used, which it was, but it did have a bit of rust on the part of the blade that sits between the scales. I took it apart and hit the rust with some Kroil and 0000 steel wool and it looks much better. There was a bit of pitting, so I'll have to keep an eye on it. If the rust comes back I'll take some naval jelly to it. While I had it apart I coated the liners in Tuf Glide and also lubed the pivot and wiped the blade down with it too.

Last night I scored a cts-20cp Para2, so I'm pretty pumped about that. It should be on its way to me tomorrow. I also pre-ordered the blue m390 Para2 a few days ago and can't wait to get that. After that I think my knife budget may be shot until spring beings I have a custom fixed blade that will possibly be ready at the end of Jan and another at the end of Feb.

I've carried a knife since high school, but just this past spring I really got into them and I'm glad I did, its been fun. I may go broke soon, but I'll have some pretty cool knives. :)