I've come to a realization.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

NYRich wrote:The lack of an adjustable pivot was the one thing that had been keeping me from ordering a Native. I've gone ahead and ordered one anyway and am hoping that I like the way the pivot is set at the factory.
I wish you luck. I got one of those Natives and the blade just sort of flops around. The first day I got it the lock released unintentionally and cut off two of my fingers. :mad: I'm kidding, there is no blade wobble or play in mine at all. The only problem I could see is in time with hard use it may loosen up with no way to adjust it but for now it is great. One of the great model types IMO.

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Sal - I've purchased probably a dozen Enduras from you over the years (my first was in 1991), and I consider them to be the best "utility infielder" knife on the market. They strike the perfect balance among functionality, durability, and affordability. I've given many away as gifts - and my youngest son uses one as his main Boy Scout camp knife.

I just wanted to thank you for showing me that a knife can be more than just a single tasker:

a.) a little pocket whittler
b.) a big honkin' sheath knife
c.) a bayonet
d.) a machete for yard work
e.) a woodshop tool

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

My favorite is the Chaparral. This knife is perfection. I don't need anything else. It's not too big, not too small, has a great steel, and IMO the best handle material out there. For such a thin and small size when folded, it has a great size blade! I'm also a fan of backlocks.
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

Here let me edit the OP for you...
mdsmith wrote:The Spyderco delica is the absolute perfect knife. Period.
There ya go :D
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ViperGTS wrote:My favorite is the Chaparral. This knife is perfection. I don't need anything else. It's not too big, not too small, has a great steel, and IMO the best handle material out there. For such a thin and small size when folded, it has a great size blade! I'm also a fan of backlocks.
Me like Chaparral too. I'd go with the Sage1 if it were the only one I could own (little bigger and tougher), but the Chaparral has become one that I carry almost all the time. If I think I may need something bigger I carry something else. It feels great in the hand. The Chaparral is definately a keeper IMO.

Jack
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Delica is great, and I own several, but nothing seems to be able to bump the Para 2 and/or Military from my pockets.
:bug-red-white
oldmandon

Post by oldmandon »

Pretty much agree with the Delica 'desire.' Although, I'm currently carrying a Dragonfly 2, I have a treasured Delica 25th anniversary model, boxed with jig bone handle. Needless to say, I won't be carrying that one but I look at, and handle it often. Now you've got me 'desiring' another EDC Delica!
So many Spydies, so little time . . .
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

mdsmith wrote:The Spyderco delica is the absolute perfect knife for me. No matter what I buy, I always come back to the delica. In the last month I've bought a para 2, a lefty military, and a GEC slip joint. All of these are fantastic knives. They are nicer looking than the delica, and made of better materials than the delica. They also all cost more than the delica. All of that said, non of them can take the delicas place as my EDC. I guess this means that I won't be buying any more knives(:rolleyes :) . Anyone else feel this way about a particular model?
Yes I do - the Caly 3.5. I love my Caly 3 in VG10 but when I got my Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, I noticed how much I really enjoyed that extra cutting edge. I have had a bunch of different knives (Delica, Para 2, Persistence, Sage, Chapparal, etc.) but none of them feel as good in hand as a Caly.

I want to try out the Native 5 at some point as all of its reviews emphasize how ergonomic it is. Perhaps that knife will complement my Caly's for my EDC.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

mdsmith wrote:The Spyderco delica is the absolute perfect knife for me. No matter what I buy, I always come back to the delica. [...] Anyone else feel this way about a particular model?
Totally understandable. I've got 2 Delicas now with a 3rd on the way. The size is just right for most slightly more involved EDC tasks while it's still compact and light enough to just disappear in my pocket. The handle and blade ergos work well for my slightly larger women's hands. And it's still kinda non-threatening especially in the nice FRN colors. Which is good. People think I'm crazy enough for carrying knives as it is :p :cool:
For circumstances where I want to adhere to local law I usually revert to my orange G-10 UKPK. It's comparable in size to the Delica and it's legal. Gotta get myself one of the FRN UKPKs one of these days. Just to have some more options.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

My first spyderco over a year ago wasnt a delica but a ladybug. But very shortly after I grabbed a ffg. In recent months I have gotten a g10 endura, a military camo dlc, a sage 1, and a black on black para 2. What did I buy yesterday after all these high end taticool fancy knives....a black delica 4. It has a noticable difference from the ffg, besides the thinner blade and grind. Its slightly heavier making the balance a tad more forward then the ffg. Where as the ffg has the balance point over the second finger, the saber grind blades extra weight pushes that point between the first and the second. I actually like how it feels in the hand more then the ffg version. Ffg is a great slicer, no doubt about it, but I feel like this one is a little tougher, like the delica went to the gym a few months longer then the ffg version. I also like how it is a flat saber grind, as opposed to a hollow grind. Might have to convex the edge on this one as well and make it close to a zero ground saber grind. Scandi delica! :D
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Drkknight614 wrote:.....a black delica 4. It has a noticable difference from the ffg, besides the thinner blade and grind. Its slightly heavier making the balance a tad more forward then the ffg. Where as the ffg has the balance point over the second finger, the saber grind blades extra weight pushes that point between the first and the second. I actually like how it feels in the hand more then the ffg version. Ffg is a great slicer, no doubt about it, but I feel like this one is a little tougher, like the delica went to the gym a few months longer then the ffg version. I also like how it is a flat saber grind, as opposed to a hollow grind.
I concur. I know FFG is the rage these days, but I really liked the slight increase in weight and solidity (percieved?) of my flat ground Delica versus my FFG Delica. There's also noticably more metal towards the tip with the hollow-grind, which again, IMO, is another plus.
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Delica was my first Spyderco knife (an early Sharpmaker was my first Spyderco product) and I have 6 of them, all with FRN handles, more than any other model. By far. I have almost equal love for my Stretch and my Para 2, but the Delica is what I end up with in dressy situations most of the time, and it can do almost everything I need when not at work. It seems to be the perfect size, weight, flatness, and utility for most days. It is the "smallest" knife that handles 99% of my EDC needs. It is the biggest knife that can "disappear" into any pocket.

Like Sal says, the Delica is a mature design, and it shows.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I feel exactly the same way. I just got another ffg delica about a week ago.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I'm with you on the Delica. My Caly 3 see's a lot of pocket time at work because it carries more discretely but today a ZDP Delica rode inside the pants behind the hip. I find a 3 inch blade pretty much perfect for my use. If I'm going to be outdoors then a Para 2 or Millie gets the nod.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Drkknight614 wrote:... I also like how it is a flat saber grind, as opposed to a hollow grind. Might have to convex the edge on this one as well and make it close to a zero ground saber grind. Scandi delica! :D
I convexed the entire blade of my saber ground ZDP Delica and it slices much better now. It also looks cool, like a mini katana.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Bill1170 wrote:I convexed the entire blade of my saber ground ZDP Delica and it slices much better now. It also looks cool, like a mini katana.
Pics? Please?
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

For the past few years I've been heavily into traditional slip joints.
However lately, I dusted off some of my fully serrated spydies and nothing beats my AUS 8 Gen 1 Delica.

Together with my jigged bone Kiwi (can't thank you enough Paul :cool :) they get carried regularly.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
ddop6

Post by ddop6 »

I love carrying my delica 4 ffg, the blue is so awesome. its easily one of my favourite knives, vg10 is a good steel for edc in my opinion.
ddop6

Post by ddop6 »

I love carrying my delica 4. its awesome.