How long ago was this clip phased out... ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Waffle

How long ago was this clip phased out... ?

Post by Waffle »

and is it still available? I've only noticed this on older model co-pilots, workers.. ?

(I hope I uploaded the image correctly)

Pretty random, but still pertaining to Spyderco. I just bought an older worker and noticed the difference. The clip is a little messed up so I was wondering if I could replace it with something "more original" :) :spyder:
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-12-20 at 12.57.48 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-12-20 at 12.57.48 PM.png (55.57 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm sure some versions of it are, given that it's still used on a few models. SS Cricket and SS Police come to mind, but there may be more. Problem is, there have been a number of variants of it in several lengths and the hole patterns are not all the same.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

HMMM.. makes sense. I never really figured clip length into it. I just looked at the style and the 3 screw design.
CubistHamster

Post by CubistHamster »

I don't have any Spydies with that clip design so I can't actually check hole size or spacing...

That being said, it looks to be pretty much the same screw pattern that Benchmade uses on many of their knives, though the 710 and the 550 (Griptilian) are the only ones I'm sure about. The split arrow clip they use on the 530 also uses that screw pattern.

Edit: Just realized I was wrong about not having a Spyderco with that type of clip. I successfully swapped clips between my Orginal Manix and my Benchmade 550 Grip.
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

CubistHamster wrote:I don't have any Spydies with that clip design so I can't actually check hole size or spacing...

That being said, it looks to be pretty much the same screw pattern that Benchmade uses on many of their knives, though the 710 and the 550 (Griptilian) are the only ones I'm sure about. The split arrow clip they use on the 530 also uses that screw pattern.

Edit: Just realized I was wrong about not having a Spyderco with that type of clip. I successfully swapped clips between my Orginal Manix and my Benchmade 550 Grip.
Awesome.. that's good info to have. Thank you. :)
r small

Post by r small »

I have an Executive I bought around '89 that has that type clip. Looks like it anyway.
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

I think I'm going to have to do some measuring!!
[Waffle]

This world is made of.. Love and Peace

Post by 1623 »

The JD Smith Sprint utilized that clip in a satin finish which is quite attractive; the screw pattern looks a bit tighter though.

Edit to add: I believe the Leafstorm is outfitted with the same clip; screw pattern looks identical.

-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

1623 wrote:The JD Smith Sprint utilized that clip in a satin finish which is quite attractive; the screw pattern looks a bit tighter though.

Edit to add: I believe the Leafstorm is outfitted with the same clip; screw pattern looks identical.
Am sure the Leafstorm and Cricket use a shorter version of that clip, and the Sprint JD Smith, Police, Citadel, and Embassy use longer versions of it. Screw patterns are all pretty much the same on those clips, but there are still a few different hole spacings, even in clips of similiar length.
Paul
Goeri

Post by Goeri »

The clip on my Byrd caracara looks the same as yours. As all the Byrds seem o use the same clip you could try one of those.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hole size also differs, some clips used very thin screws, others used much fatter ones. If authenticity is not an issue, it is sometimes possible to drill out the former to fit a knife that needs the later, assuming you have the original screws. However, using one with large holes on a knife with thin, small headed, screws can result in a wobbly clip.

There is also another issue, if you are looking to put an authentic clip on an older knife. Like almost everything else, the markings on the clip changed several times over the course of the years. The earliest ones had a US patent number and "foreign patents pending" stamped on them. The most recent ones have the :spyder: stamped into them. In between there were several variants, including one with the :spyder: , the US Patent number, and a couple foreign patent numbers.
Paul
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

The Deacon wrote:There is also another issue, if you are looking to put an authentic clip on an older knife. Like almost everything else, the markings on the clip changed several times over the course of the years. The earliest ones had a US patent number and "foreign patents pending" stamped on them. The most recent ones have the :spyder: stamped into them. In between there were several variants, including one with the :spyder: , the US Patent number, and a couple foreign patent numbers.
That is my biggest concern.. I think I am in need of an early one.. with just the patent stamped more towards the bottom, such as the one pictured. :eek:
[Waffle]

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Waffle wrote:That is my biggest concern.. I think I am in need of an early one.. with just the patent stamped more towards the bottom, such as the one pictured. :eek:
Going to be hard finding one like that in excellent condition without an early knife in equally good condition attached to it.
Paul
Waffle

Post by Waffle »

The Deacon wrote:Going to be hard finding one like that in excellent condition without an early knife in equally good condition attached to it.
That's what I was thinking. I think I'm just being OCD or as I like to call it, "PARTICULAR". I saw the old experimental Walker has an older clip. Did it have the bug with the patent, or just the patent? Anyone know? Care? I'm rambling.. Sorry
[Waffle]