Bring back the Centofante IV !!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kgriggs8

Bring back the Centofante IV !!!

Post by kgriggs8 »

I consider it to be the best knife for the money that Spyderco ever made, bar none. At one point I owned half a dozen of them but gave them away as gifts. I kept my first one and used the heck out of it for years. Recently I lost it or had it stolen and now I am without one.

It was so light, slim and usable that it replaced my Delica on day one. That thin hollow ground blade sliced as well as any FFG and it disappeared in any pocket, even light weight shorts were no problem for it since it was so light.

I loved the Warncliff blade that still had enough tip to be useful. A sheepsfoot blade is of limited use but a point Warncliff can be the most useful blade you can carry. The 1% of time I wish I had more upswept tip was overshadowed but the 99% of time that the Warncliff blade shape was better than anything else.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Amen!
:spyder:
Dan
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Awesome knife. I would pick up one before they totally dry up.
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

Yes, bring it back. Sprint run anyone?
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Rutgrr wrote:Yes, bring it back. Sprint run anyone?
Sprints were popular while in production, the cento4 had a small eccentric following at best. Wharnies are like hawkbills: Less popular than any typicial blade shape.

While nothing is impossible, this one is far from likely (IMO). I would buy one ASAP or look for a comparable like the Yo2 or Kiwi. They are in the works for a large Kiwi unless plans have changed...
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Blerv wrote:They are in the works for a large Kiwi unless plans have changed...
Yes, I believe you are right. I think it might be called the Deaconiwi ;)
catamount

Post by catamount »

Funny, I was just playing with my Cento 4, and thinking of starting a thread proposing a sprint run in ZDP-189.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I'd love to have a Cent. 4. You rarely see them come up on the Bay.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

Looks like amazon has some for $69,delivered. Is this the same knife ?
http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Centofan ... 704&sr=8-2
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Blerv wrote:... the cento4 had a small eccentric following at best.
Watch it! I'm not small. LOL

When they disco'ed, I bought a couple more. The Des Horn looks to be an in-production replacement, but I haven't played with one yet.

Gordon
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I regret letting mine go :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I wonder...I don't trust Amazon 100% when it comes to inventory.
MIL-DOT wrote:Looks like amazon has some for $69,delivered. Is this the same knife ?
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

I'd be all over a a g10 ZDP sprint
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

wsdavies wrote:I wonder...I don't trust Amazon 100% when it comes to inventory.
I've had great service from Amazon. Says "in stock",both the III and the IV, I actually put it in my cart, everything looked good. I think this is legit, but only one way to find out. Who's gonna jump? :D
Native 5, FRN Native, Delica 4 FFG , Delica 4 CE, Ambitious, Stretch ,Manix 2, Sage1, DF2, PM2,UKPK, ......
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have to say, as much as i like the Delica, i like both the Centofante 3 and 4 way better. The ergos are better (for me) and i like the blade grinds better (especially the 4). I would love to have either one of them in ZDP...a Cento 4 in ZDP, WOW.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I have 2 of them. The most used Spydie I own. Out of 46 others the Cento 4 is the most usefull & practicle work knife for me. The size & weight are spot on for a very usefull easy to carry knife. It is also NKP freindly I would say, as a lot of people see me use it for tasks & never a negative comment. Looks too much like a paring or fruit knife & everyone is pretty comfortable with that.
I think it is one of those knives that is a quiet achiever & not appreciated by those who never used one.
Given all that I would not like to skin a deer with one, it's a horses for courses thing.
I would absolutely love to see a new one in ZDP 189 / 420J2. :D
Cento 4, a carpenters best freind.
O.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

wsdavies wrote:I wonder...I don't trust Amazon 100% when it comes to inventory.
Much as I like Amazon for DVDs, given the number of reports of non-standard packaging (plain white boxes) and damaged knives, I'd be leery of using them for Spyderco too.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

The company it ships from only lists the Centofante III on it's website. I don't know if they keep a seperate inventory for Amazon orders, but I doubt it.
:spyder:
Dan
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

A sprint run would be fine but I think the knife is nearly perfect as it was. The FRN and VG-10 combo offered a great amount of value while retaining all the function. A G-10 ZDP-189 version would be too heavy and too expensive and I wouldnt buy one. Spyderco already has it's share of heavy folders, what they lack and what sets Spyderco apart from all others is the small/medium sized knives that are super strong but weigh nothing. The Delica 3 was a good example of that before it gained weight and got a blunt thick tip. The D4 somehow lost sight of what the Delica was all about. The Centofante had it in spades.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

When you have superb online dealers like Cutlery Shoppe, Howes, and NGK why buy from Amazon unless it's a price you can't pass on.
The Deacon wrote:Much as I like Amazon for DVDs, given the number of reports of non-standard packaging (plain white boxes) and damaged knives, I'd be leery of using them for Spyderco too.
Theodore Roosevelt