Manbug Pics!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks for the nice pictures. I'm a bonfide Ladybug/Jester fiend, so this one's a no-brainer for me. Still, I'm anxious to try one out. It's on the wishlist.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
araneae

Post by araneae »

Looks nice. Hope we see some colors, maybe the frn Stretch blue or orange.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

dj moonbat wrote:Given the use cases that typically present themselves for a knife that small (and unlined), it's really tough for me to understand why one would prefer thicker blade stock. Is one ever going to be leaning into a cut hard enough that the extra thickness would help?
Agreed, this one is for collectors, people who dont already have a ladybug and people with indispensable amounts of money lol.

I will probably get one still, but most likely in the g10 bolstered version. Just so its a bit more different.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dj moonbat wrote:Given the use cases that typically present themselves for a knife that small (and unlined), it's really tough for me to understand why one would prefer thicker blade stock. Is one ever going to be leaning into a cut hard enough that the extra thickness would help?
To me a thicker blade means more meat inside the pivot which means a stronger pivot. The longer the pivot is, the harder it is to twist around it. Right?

Besides that, it also has the added bonus of a thicker lock bar which makes lock up stronger.

Like i said in my last post...why would you want this? Why not? Because if this is the only knife i have to use at the moment (lets just say you lose your EDC and you're out somewhere and you have this knife on your keys) then i still want some peace of mind that i CAN lay into this knife reasonably hard if i have to. Sure, i won't be out doing any bushcraft with a Manbug, but if i have to use it to cut down some heavy double wall corrugated box, then i don't wanna have to worry about breaking the pivot...and the first day i used my Ladybug, the pivot was super loose by the end of the day so if this little knife has a weak spot it's definitely the pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Nice! Whenever I search for the Manbug it says "backordered". Where'd you get it? I didn't even know there was an FRN one too! Now I need to buy both. Thanks Sal and crew!!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

NGK has the PE FRN ones. From what Sal said in the other thread, I don't think the bolstered ones are out yet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

You guys missed my 'buyer info' in my post ...
Howes Knife Shop sale bin
fast.ed

Post by fast.ed »

Have carried the Ladybug for over a year. As an older guy was very satisfied with it. Only problem I had was it popping out of my pocket while in my car rummaging thru my pockets. I would get in the house and would be emptying my pockets....no ladybug. Would go to my car and there it would be lying on the car seat. When I saw the Dragonfly2, I traded my Ladybug for it. Probabaly the best smaller knife I have owned.
sal

Post by sal »

I have almost always carried a Ladybug. A back up or for those times when you don't want to pull out a larger knife. In my shirt pocket, it's convenient when driving.

I felt that for larger cutting chores like cutting up boxes, I wanted a little more purchase for control. This meant a tad wider and thicker. I also wanted a full flat grind. For the types of things that I cut, it works better. A full flat would require a thicker stock lest it become too weak, hence the thicker blade.

Now I almost always have a Manbug with me. It has replaced the Ladybug. I'm ready for a ZDP Manbug.

sal
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

sal wrote:I have almost always carried a Ladybug. A back up or for those times when you don't want to pull out a larger knife. In my shirt pocket, it's convenient when driving.

I felt that for larger cutting chores like cutting up boxes, I wanted a little more purchase for control. This meant a tad wider and thicker. I also wanted a full flat grind. For the types of things that I cut, it works better. A full flat would require a thicker stock lest it become too weak, hence the thicker blade.

Now I almost always have a Manbug with me. It has replaced the Ladybug. I'm ready for a ZDP Manbug.
sal
CEO's always want more. You are as bad as your customers. :D

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:i'm ready for a zdp manbug.

Sal

Yes please!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

sal wrote: I'm ready for a ZDP Manbug.

sal
So are we! :D
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

I'm with You Sal!
Timbo114 wrote:
Now on to the next Manbug iteration ...

Red G10 scales and FFG ZDP blade! BADA BING!
:D

sal wrote:... I'm ready for a ZDP Manbug.

sal
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

sal wrote:I'm ready for a ZDP Manbug.

sal
How about a XHP Manbug? :D
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

XHP manbug ..Oh yeeeah. Even if a ZDP one is made, Im buying. Ive sharpened away too much of my h1 ladybug
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

sal wrote: I'm ready for a ZDP Manbug.

sal
jackknifeh wrote:CEO's always want more. You are as bad as your customers. :D

Jack
Evil D wrote:Yes please!
skatenut wrote:So are we! :D
Timbo114 wrote:I'm with You Sal!
Rutgrr wrote:How about a XHP Manbug? :D
razorsharp wrote:XHP manbug ..Oh yeeeah. Even if a ZDP one is made, Im buying. Ive sharpened away too much of my h1 ladybug

Told you (as if you didn't already know). :D

Jack
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Thanks for the pics - I definitely now have a G-10 bolstered MB on my list, but while we're wishin' for what's next…

Would anyone like to see a Man-Jester?
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
oopsindia

serrated edge Manbug

Post by oopsindia »

Aloha, I'm a newbie here and am wondering about two things: Will there be a serrated-edge version of the Manbug? And what does "bolstered" mean? Thanks a lot.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Oopsindia,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Yes, there is a serrated version in-the-works. The first pieces were not up to spec.

I imagine someone could more quickly explain / show a bolster than I could.

sal
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Crap, I just realized how small this knife is...what the heck was I thinking. Guess I will have to see when the G-10/bolster manbug arrives....already preordered. I did'nt think it was going to be so tiny and I never knew how big the ladybug was till I got my hawkbill salt last week. I guess it will be a nice addition to the tiny family.

I will have the LB HB Salt, CF Balance, and g-10/bolster manbug
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point