Paypal Rant

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bradley

Paypal Rant

Post by Bradley »

If you're not in for a rant, you might want to leave.

So i sent a payment to Howes yesterday, I changed my mind due to lack of stock. He sent me a refund and I got an email saying it was sent. I checked my paypal acct and my balance is still $0.00. Reading online I now see it could take up to 7 days. How ridiculous is that!? Instantly gets it from my acct to his, but takes seven days to get it from his acct to my acct!? seriously? Looks like the yo 2 will have to wait another week. Thanks a lot paypal. Equally as pissed at this as I am that it takes 3 days to get from paypal to my bank acct.

Rant off.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Odd. Might be the result of the way Howes has their PayPal account set up. Any refunds I've ever received from eBay sellers or other vendors via PayPal were darn near instantaneous. Agree that moving funds from PayPal to your bank account is slower and more involved than it should be.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

bought a coat off ebay that didnt fit- paypal refund was quick and clean -it was in my account just minutes after the vendors email about doing it
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Still haven't gotten it back, just keeping you guys updated.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Another example of why I refuse to get and use PayPal.

There is no reason it should take this long. It's not as though it's a personal check.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Bradley wrote:Still haven't gotten it back, just keeping you guys updated.
Sorry to hear that but, FWIW, what you are experiencing is not universal and probably not typical. It is most likely a result of the way the vendor has their account set up, or the way you have yours set up, or the combination of the two. Might be the result of one or the other of your accounts being set up so that payment is by eCheck rather than direct debit.

As I mentioned earlier, any vendor refunds I have ever received have been virtually instantaneous.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Bradley wrote:Still haven't gotten it back, just keeping you guys updated.
Looks like you are not alone ranting about PayPal. Regardless of what the merchant does, PayPal refunds can be a problem. IGoogled: "paypal slow making a refund"

From PayPal Support: What happened to my refund?

From PayPal support: How is a refund credited? (There are four pages on this topic.)
I just spoke to a supervisor who gave me some lame excuse that the Federal Reserve is holding the refund money for 5 days! She also told me they don't take the money from our accounts for 3-5 days which is false because it always [in my case] gets deducted immediatley from my bank account. It's all just a bunch of hog wash.
How is a refund credited?

If you paid with a credit card, the money will go back to your card. It can take up to 30 days for the refund to show up on your card statement.

If you paid with your bank account (eCheck or Instant Transfer) or PayPal balance, the money will go back to your PayPal balance.
I NEED MY REFUND ! WHERE IS IT?
Temporary Hold placed on my refund!!!! (26 pages in this thread)

From Weekly Rant: Problems with PayPal refund

One last thought, if your PayPal account is backed by a credit/debit card not a bank account, it can take up to 30 days for the credit and it goes to the Credit Card account, not your PayPal account.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Bradley wrote:If you're not in for a rant, you might want to leave.

So i sent a payment to Howes yesterday, I changed my mind due to lack of stock. He sent me a refund and I got an email saying it was sent. I checked my paypal acct and my balance is still $0.00. Reading online I now see it could take up to 7 days. How ridiculous is that!? Instantly gets it from my acct to his, but takes seven days to get it from his acct to my acct!? seriously? Looks like the yo 2 will have to wait another week. Thanks a lot paypal. Equally as pissed at this as I am that it takes 3 days to get from paypal to my bank acct.

Rant off.
There does seem to be a problem. I wonder if you had used a debit card would the money be back in your account faster? That may take just as long. I think as someone else suggested the problem may be at Howe's, not paypal. Sorry about your misfortune though. When inet shopping we already have to wait for the beloved mail man. It sucks to have another waiting issue thrown in. :( We've all experienced similar situations I'm sure. Well, it doesn't matter to me of course because I'm a milunair. :)

Jack
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Still nothin, hah, thanks for those thread links. similar to what I read before. Just ridiculous.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I've never had a problem with delays.
Is your paypal account verified? If not, perhaps that could explain delay--in which case delay is likely a mechanism to minimize fraud and would be a good thing from my perspective.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Ever here that expression "Paypal the Pal you Pay" I have had issues ... don't get me started.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

It also depends on where the funds came from. If you routed even a bit of the payment through a credit card/debit card, and then through PayPal, then you're refund is not going through PayPal. It's routing through the credit card system which generally takes 3-5 business days (weekends don't count).

If this is the case, then it's completely normal and going along at the usual refund transaction rates. Just a quick FYI for anyone else that finds themselves in a similar situation. :)
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Verified, and direct transfer from my bank acct.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

AHHHH finally got it bacccccccck.
Slash

Post by Slash »

PayPal started doing this to many accts. a few months back despite your history. Most likely to fight fraudulent acts. Commonly known in the banking industry as the float.
They will periodically review your acct. and determine if you're eligible to have the hold lifted.
Have faith, they did recently lift any future funds from being held on mine.
vadel01

Post by vadel01 »

paypal to bank account is really slow which is many register to paypal for fast refund or send of their money..it is secured..i assure you..
[CENTER]Leather is a sturdy and flexible material that comes from raw animal skin and undergoes certain processes to be able to used to make jackets, wallets, etc.[/CENTER]
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

recieved a email this morning-said it was from paypal and to use this log in because i have some security issues-

looked real as all heck-but not being a total fool i went and logged into paypal not using the email -no issues

tried the paypal that came from email-it looked real as heck-didnt bother logging in-lol
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

rosconey wrote:recieved a email this morning-said it was from paypal and to use this log in because i have some security issues-

looked real as all heck-but not being a total fool i went and logged into paypal not using the email -no issues

tried the paypal that came from email-it looked real as heck-didnt bother logging in-lol
What does that mean? I don't understand why you would get an email like that. Was someone trying to access your account with a funky login ID? Why did you get that email? Do you know?

Jack
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i guess scum bags fish this way for account info-
never use a email to log into paypal-always log in yourself direct
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

rosconey wrote:i guess scum bags fish this way for account info-
never use a email to log into paypal-always log in yourself direct
You hear more and more about identity theft these days. I feel that if someone would improve their life with my identity they are really in bad shape now. :D

Jack