Manbug Pics!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WireEdge Roger

Manbug Pics!

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I just got my Manbug. I like it, but the differences between it and the Ladybug are very subtle.

The handle is wider and thicker across the back than the Ladybug 3, the molded handle texture is blockier and more aggressive on the Manbug, and the FFG VG-10 blade and lock are thicker on the Manbug. It also has a screw adjustable pivot.

pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

sweet, thanks for the pics. still on the fence on this one. would you recommend?
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Not sure, it's really similar to the Ladybug! It does have just enough addtional heft and thickness to qualify it as "manly" though! :D
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Very nice, thanks for the pics, these are the first pics I've seen of the FRN model. Equally impressive is that FFG Tom Krein H1 yellow Ladybug. I bet that thing slices like no other :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for the comparison pics Roger. Interesting to see how little difference there is. I have one on the way from NGK, so by sometime next week I'll be able to judge for myself whether the differences are worth the roughly 25% higher price.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Given the use cases that typically present themselves for a knife that small (and unlined), it's really tough for me to understand why one would prefer thicker blade stock. Is one ever going to be leaning into a cut hard enough that the extra thickness would help?
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They're subtle but i see a lot of differences. The entire handle is bigger, in every direction...longer, taller, the grip is thicker but i think that's more a result of the thicker blade. The blade itself is totally different, the edge profile and height of the spine and thickness and it clearly has more cutting edge. The hole is also larger.

I made a thread about a stronger Ladybug last year, this is just about everything i wanted to see. I know most people will disagree but i'd even like to see tiny little nested liners just to make the pivot as stout as it can be (i'll probably look into the bolstered version hoping that'll give similar pivot strength, and i'm holding my breath for a stainless version). Yeah weight would increase and so would price but think about it like this...if you can only carry a knife this small then why not have the most badass knife you can have in this size? Just because it's small doesn't mean it can't be capable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd say you're in luck David. Between the liners and bolsters, the pivot on bolstered G-10 Manbug should be quite sturdy.
Paul
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Roger,

Very nice pics, as usual.

sal
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I think the big diff. will be in the G-10 version vs. the frn Ladybug. My only prob. with knives this size is I tend to misplace them. I had an H-1 Ladybug and haven't seen it since August. Having moved from Co to Wy I doubt I'll ever find it.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

Thanks .. Nice pics!
And thank You Sal!

I just bought mine from Howes "bin" (better hurry)

Now on to the next Manbug iteration ...

Red G10 scales and FFG ZDP blade! BADA BING!
This is what I need for my Red Dodge Ram Hemi Quad Cab key ring. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:I'd say you're in luck David. Between the liners and bolsters, the pivot on bolstered G-10 Manbug should be quite sturdy.
Wait are you saying it actually DOES have nested liners?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Evil D wrote:Wait are you saying it actually DOES have nested liners?
No, on the bolstered version I think the liners are full-length.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dj moonbat wrote:No, on the bolstered version I think the liners are full-length.
Yes, exactly. It has liners, but they'r full, not nested.
Paul
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

WireEdge Roger wrote:I just got my Manbug. I like it, but the differences between it and the Ladybug are very subtle.

The handle is wider and thicker across the back than the Ladybug 3, the molded handle texture is blockier and more aggressive on the Manbug, and the FFG VG-10 blade and lock are thicker on the Manbug. It also has a screw adjustable pivot.

Nice pictures. In the picture with the Manbug on top of the LB salt, is the Manbug blade open and locked? The lock button sure does look like it's down and not quite locked like the blade is not open all the way. Where the blade touches the lock bar also looks a little off line. Just curious.

I think I would like a Manbug.

Jack
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Looks like a more confidence inspiring knife if only in perception. Looks comfortable too.

My only gripe is the extra belly and of course the thicker grind might not slice as well. The zdp ladybug might reign supreme but time will tell.
r small

Post by r small »

I was considering getting the Manbug but looking at the comparison pics with the Ladybug I decided I like the blade shape of the Ladybug better. Does the L'bug have an adjustable pivot?
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Great pics Roger, thanks for posting them.

I like what I'm seeing so far, and I think that the manbug will be very well suited to mini-survival kits.

How does the FFG on the manbug compare to the standard Ladybug in terms of slicing?

I'm really, really hoping that there's a hawkbill version of the manbug down the road, and that its a FFG PE. That would make for one **** of a hideout knife. :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

r small wrote:I was considering getting the Manbug but looking at the comparison pics with the Ladybug I decided I like the blade shape of the Ladybug better. Does the L'bug have an adjustable pivot?
If by adjustable you mean screw, then yes, the latest batches of the Ladybug have pivot screws.
Paul
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

on the list (but price's are still heavy seen the small difference with the lady b ) thx for the picture's . greeetzzzzz