Manbug FRN available

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Manbug FRN available

Post by jackknifeh »

I got this email yesterday from SFO.

Jack,

You asked to be notified when the Manbug is available. We now have the Plainedge Manbug with black FRN handle available. This model is $64.95 and to place an order simply give us a call at the Spyderco Factory Outlet M-F 9am-5pm or Sat. 10am-5pm MST.

Thank you.

I guess it will be at the re-sellers soon.

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ah well, wrong again. I was expecting the publicized bolstered one to be months ahead of the stealth FRN version. :o

Might have to get one of these, just to see what it offers that the regular LB3 and Jester don't.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

If I get one I'll definately get the FRN model because the price will be much lower. G-10 and bolsters would be nice on a larger knife but the Manbug probably wouldn't be used for tough cutting tasks. So, a great grip may not be that important. Also, there's nothing wrong with FRN as far as grip IMO. On the other hand I've heard lot's of people including my son mention how much the Ladybug is capable of. I'm sure the Manbug will be better because men are stronger, more intellegent and mature and reliable than women. :eek: Oh, did that come out out loud? :D I was joking of course.

I have a Ladybug salt attached to a small flashlight but haven't used it at all yet. I always just grab what is in my normal EDC pocket. I think I need to force myself to carry only the Ladybug. That way I'll need to use it, having no other choice. Either way, the Manbug will be in my house soon. :D

Jack
suedeface

Post by suedeface »

I like this model, but for the price their asking, I could get a dragonfly or other larger model.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

suedeface wrote:I like this model, but for the price their asking, I could get a dragonfly or other larger model.
I'm sure the $64.95 is MSRP. The re-seller price should be about 40% lower. I'm hoping for about $35 from CS. We'll see. I paid about $28 for a Ladybug salt so for a sturdier knife with VG-10 I think $35 is fair. Of course price is a wierd thing because what something is "worth" is a very personal thing. Some people don't think any of these knives are "worth" a fraction of what we gladly pay for them. :) I'm not saying we are right or wrong. Plus, we all know what my opinion is "worth". :D

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:If I get one I'll definately get the FRN model because the price will be much lower. G-10 and bolsters would be nice on a larger knife but the Manbug probably wouldn't be used for tough cutting tasks. So, a great grip may not be that important. Also, there's nothing wrong with FRN as far as grip IMO. On the other hand I've heard lot's of people including my son mention how much the Ladybug is capable of. I'm sure the Manbug will be better because men are stronger, more intellegent and mature and reliable than women. :eek: Oh, did that come out out loud? :D I was joking of course.

I have a Ladybug salt attached to a small flashlight but haven't used it at all yet. I always just grab what is in my normal EDC pocket. I think I need to force myself to carry only the Ladybug. That way I'll need to use it, having no other choice. Either way, the Manbug will be in my house soon. :D

Jack
I agree. I find the SS Ladybug and Jester heavy than I like for keyring use. Between the larger size, bolsters, and liners, am betting the bolstered Manbug will be heavier yet. I'd probably choose to live with that if the bolsters were smooth but, the way things are, I'll stick with my micarta Jester for carry unless the FRN Manbug feels better in my hand.
Paul
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I lol'd at Jack's explanation about why the manbug would be better ;) I don't think I'll be picking this one up tbh. It's too similar to the ladybug, I'd prefer the Jester.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Mwalle6

Post by Mwalle6 »

jackknifeh wrote: I'm sure the Manbug will be better because men are stronger, more intellegent and mature and reliable than women. :eek: Oh, did that come out out loud? :D I was joking of course.

Jack
Better not say that around any ladies who are holding a ladybug, Jack. :)
Member of the LH Military Club

My Spydies - Military Lefty, Endura 4 PE, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Chaparal, Bolstered Manbug, Nishijin Cricket Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Mwalle6 wrote:Better not say that around any ladies who are holding a ladybug, Jack. :)
I would never do that! :eek: At least, not until I get my MANBUG!!! :mad:

I better be careful. There are a couple of ladies that pop in from time to time. :D

Jack
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

manbug vs ladybug? mini knife fight to the death?
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Personally I want the bolstered version, just to have something different. I think it would make good gifts too. It would sit in my back pocket anyway so keychain heft is not an issue.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

Bradley wrote:manbug vs ladybug? mini knife fight to the death?
If I could train lab rats in hand to hand combat, this is exactly how I would arm them.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:Ah well, wrong again. I was expecting the publicized bolstered one to be months ahead of the stealth FRN version. :o

Might have to get one of these, just to see what it offers that the regular LB3 and Jester don't.

Sounds to me like it might have bigger finger groves and it looks like it has a slightly longer handle, thicker blade, bigger hole and i hope a little bigger pivot. I can't decide if i wanna hold out and see if there's gonna be a ZDP version or not.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

The Deacon wrote:Ah well, wrong again. I was expecting the publicized bolstered one to be months ahead of the stealth FRN version. :o
Hi Paul,

We also were expecting the bolstered version months before the FRN version. So much for plans. :o

sal
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

FRN is so cool, I'm buying the g10 one too!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Got mine today. I think it would make a better watch pocket knife than the Ladybug as it's much easier to open one handed. I'm less sure it has any real advantage on a key ring unless it's the only knife you're carrying.
Paul
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:I agree. I find the SS Ladybug and Jester heavy than I like for keyring use. Between the larger size, bolsters, and liners, am betting the bolstered Manbug will be heavier yet. I'd probably choose to live with that if the bolsters were smooth but, the way things are, I'll stick with my micarta Jester for carry unless the FRN Manbug feels better in my hand.
Do you have or can you take a picture of the micarta Jester? I got two Jester's and want to make scales for one of them. I've thought about G-10 (different color) and some sort of nice looking wood with a lot of grain. Now I'm thinking of micarta as well. Do you know anything about what it is like to work with (cutting, sanding, etc.)?

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:Do you have or can you take a picture of the micarta Jester? I got two Jester's and want to make scales for one of them. I've thought about G-10 (different color) and some sort of nice looking wood with a lot of grain. Now I'm thinking of micarta as well. Do you know anything about what it is like to work with (cutting, sanding, etc.)?

Jack
Here are a few photos of a couple of my burgundy micarta Jesters, one with the grey G-10 version for comparison. The one with the split ring and QD fitting on it has been on my key ring, which has been dropped more than a few times in parking lots, for 9 years. Think it looks darn good, considering.

Micarta is probably somewhere between very hard woods, like ironwood, and G-10, so it should saw, file, and sand about the same as G-10 or a bit easier. I suspect it would be less likely to chip when sawn, since phenolic resin tends to be less brittle than epoxy resin.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Paul
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I concur with Paul - Micarta is wonderful stuff. It is easy to work with regular tools, and it chips less than woods or epoxy. On a knife this small, I would recommend a paper-based or linen-based micarta (which is on the micarta Jester) - and not a canvas-based material. The weave of the canvas substrate is very rough and could create chipping problems on these thin slabs.

Hey, Jack - I'll drop you a PM. I've got some micarta slabs that are too small to make Mule scales. You are welcome to them if you like...

TedP
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:Here are a few photos of a couple of my burgundy micarta Jesters, one with the grey G-10 version for comparison. The one with the split ring and QD fitting on it has been on my key ring, which has been dropped more than a few times in parking lots, for 9 years. Think it looks darn good, considering.

Micarta is probably somewhere between very hard woods, like ironwood, and G-10, so it should saw, file, and sand about the same as G-10 or a bit easier. I suspect it would be less likely to chip when sawn, since phenolic resin tends to be less brittle than epoxy resin.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]
Thanks Paul. Excellent pictures and I do like the micarta on that knife. I wish I could take pictures with that quality. All I have is a phone camera and the camera on it isn't that great. It does ok but not good for close ups or macro photos. I still have a Nikon camera (35mm) with a really nice lens on it that takes great macro pics. I think I can use it, take the film in and get digital pictures back. Never done it though.

Jack