New Spydie Day! Poliwog G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zerimas

New Spydie Day! Poliwog G-10

Post by Zerimas »

On of the online stores I frequent (Warriors and Wonders) has some of these in stock, so I bought one on a whim. I am very impressed with this knife! I haven't had a chance to use it (I just opened the box 5 minutes ago), but I think I will really enjoy it. One thing that stands out is the G-10: it is way more aggressive than the G-10 on my SB Caly3.5 and Chicago. Although the G-10 doesn't really need to be, as the way this knife is designed the handle could be made of glass that constantly secretes melted butter and I still wouldn't lose my grip on it!

My one complaint is that is pretty wide so that my cause some problems for me down the line. However, it's overall thinness seems to mitigate some of the interference that is inherent to any knife occupying the same pocket as my phone.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Nice find, very interesting knife. Enjoy it :)
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

Zerimas wrote:Although the G-10 doesn't really need to be, as the way this knife is designed the handle could be made of glass that constantly secretes melted butter and I still wouldn't lose my grip on it!
That could be a convenient feature on a knife if you eat a lot of corn on the cob, but would be disgusting in your pocket :D

I have always wanted a G-10 Polliwog but was never able to find one at a decent price when the funding became available. Looks like a really efficient design for the size, one of the main reasons I love the Dragonfly so much.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

It's refreshing to log on to the forum and see a thread about a model other than the Para 2. I like the Poliwog, it's a great little big knife. Not sure why it never took off and gained the cult-like following the way the Dodo did.

Enjoy your new knife :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Jay_Ev wrote:It's refreshing to log on to the forum and see a thread about a model other than the Para 2. I like the Poliwog, it's a great little big knife. Not sure why it never took off and gained the cult-like following the way the Dodo did.

Enjoy your new knife :)
I think it may be due to the fact that the Dodo is super adorable. I am really gunning for an orange one after seeing the picture on the forum of all the little Dodos playing in the grass.

That is not say that the poliwog isn't pretty cute, but I feel bird have more intrinsic cuteness than undeveloped frogs.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

MightySpydie wrote:That could be a convenient feature on a knife if you eat a lot of corn on the cob, but would be disgusting in your pocket :D

I have always wanted a G-10 Polliwog but was never able to find one at a decent price when the funding became available. Looks like a really efficient design for the size, one of the main reasons I love the Dragonfly so much.
They still have at least one in stock at Warriors and Wonders, and they ship to the US provided you have all your Paypal stuff in order. I paid $126 CAD for mine.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good buy, Zerimas. My wife actually gave me the G-10 Poliwog for my birthday this year. (A total surprise for me! :) ). I really like the ingenuity of this design. Not only that, but I get a lot of compliments on its shape.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Poliwog is a very cool little knife. Very comfortable in the hand. I like its unconventional looks too. When closed, most people don't even know it's a knife.
:bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

gbelleh wrote:The Poliwog is a very cool little knife. Very comfortable in the hand. I like its unconventional looks too. When closed, most people don't even know it's a knife.
Exactly! It looks unlike anything funtional when it is in the folded position. People seem to be amazed to see this cool little knife emerge when I open the blade.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice find! Hope it works well for ya :)
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Just a quick question for any Poliwog owners out there: do you have trouble getting this cute little knife sharp? It is giving me a lot of difficulty. I cannot seem to get it anywhere near as sharp as my FFG Endura4. I usually don't have too many problems getting my knives acceptably sharp. Granted, I am no where near the level of most of you forum, but I have never encountered this much sharpening related grief from any other knife.
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

I have 3 spyderco poliwogs G10.

What i like about it is its superb f&f, light weight, design, blade steel (VG10 is really good), and ergonomics.

It is my current EDC knife and i don't notice it when it is in my pocket. I have nothing to say about improvements that has to be done on the poliwog.

Great little knife. Well worth it's money.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The G10 version is one that I always wanted...but I never could bring myself to spend the $130 plus that I have seen it for. At $100....I would probably pull the trigger.
On the hunt for...
BSBG

Post by BSBG »

I picked up a like new G-10 used a few months ago. Small, amazingly well built and cuts like a bigger knife. Love it!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:The G10 version is one that I always wanted...but I never could bring myself to spend the $130 plus that I have seen it for. At $100....I would probably pull the trigger.
Keep an eye out on the BST forums. I got mine LNIB for $70 shipped last year.
:bug-red-white
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

It makes me happy to see that so many people enjoy this knife. I think I am really going to like mine once I get it sharpened up properly. I was fooling around with sharpening it, and I think mine may have been ground at a very obtuse angle. I am not exactly sure what it is, but based on how far I have to raise the spine before the knife will bite into a surface I estimate (using a little simple trigonometry) that secondary bevel far exceeds 30 degrees. I am off to Lee Valley Tools on Monday to pick up a DMT extra-coarse diamond stone, a DMT edge guide, as well as a Bester 1000 grit stone. This has provided me with an excellent excuse to fill out my sharpening arsenal, as I currently only have 4000 and 8000 grit stones plus a strop. :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I have nearly bought one of these several times, mostly because I find the way the lock is exposed when the knife folds interesting - almost a see-through version of the ball lock.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

THANK GOD. I always adored this knife, my first "real" spyder, and its what gave me my spyderbite. Its a fantastic little knife and I could never understand why it was so unloved. I must confess though the price I think is what likely killed it off, because on paper it was just a small knife for a medium size knife's price. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll reappear as a sprint some day, but until then :(
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Great little knife, incredible ergonomics, love the blade, love the lock F&F is great ... love everything about it! :D
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I picked one up this week, and it was *quite* sharp. I am liking it even more than I thought I would. I had handled a Stainless Steel version before, but I'm not as fond of SS for grip, so I didn't think a lot more about it.

The knife is thinner than I had expected. Very comfortable to hold. I reminds me a *LOT* of my Native III but with a negative blade angle. The blade is smaller than a Native III but similar shape/swedge.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)