Spyderco Cat vs Dragonfly for Boston carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ninemm

Spyderco Cat vs Dragonfly for Boston carry?

Post by ninemm »

My brother attends college in Boston. When we went up to visit recently he was admiring my Para 2 and saying how he would like a knife. Blade length in Boston is limited to 2.5" or less. When I mentioned that he laughed and said then I would want 2.5". lol I've been trying to decide which Spyderco would best fit the bill. I think I have it narrowed down to either the D'fly 2 or the Cat. The Cat is almost exactly 2.5" whereas the D'fly is about 2.25. I was just wondering what you all thought about one vs the other? If you have any alternative suggestions I'd be willing to hear them out.

Also, a vendor has full spyderedge Dragonfly 2s on closeout. Do you think that the full spyderedge would be a disadvantage compared to the plain edge?

Thanks!!
maded

Post by maded »

I don't have a Cat to compare with, but the DF2 is by far my favourite knife - compared even to *gasp* my PM2. It's light and unobtrusive, yet has basically done everything I've asked of it with aplomb.

My SE DF2 (salt) tears through pretty much everything, and has yet to need sharpening. I've sharpened the PE ZDP-189 twice in 6 months. What does your friend want a knife for? I'd go PE if I'm prepared to take care of the edge. SE if it's a throw-in-the-bag-for-emergencies application...
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

I could sharpen it when I go up to visit, but when he is at school he'd be on his own. Probably would be used sparingly for the usual stuff. Opening mail/boxes, cutting loose threads, you know heavy duty stuff. ;)
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

I would go with a Cat if maxing out on blade length is your first priority. But the SE Dragonfly will hold a working edge longer if he isn't able to sharpen it himself.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A SE dfly cuts like a 4" knife :) . I'd be tempted to look at the salt line because it won't rust and the edge will last longer in that format than vg10. The Cat is going to feel more upscale.

Either will work nicely but the Cat will seem more Para2'esque.
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

Thanks for your input Blerv. That is kind of what I'm running into. The Dragonfly would be lighter and probably more useful, but the Cat is more like my Para 2. Hmmm
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Love my dradonfly salt. Looking at the cat for a more upscale knife too.
MIL-DOT

Post by MIL-DOT »

I agree with Blerv's point, that the Cat is closer to the solid look and feel of your Para2, but if that's all he's interested in, you could consider the even less expensive ( but still worthy) Ambitious. Running around in a college environment, losing it somehow is a real consideration, if you follow my reasoning, so least expensive is a plus.
But, unless he really wants the bigger,heavier knife,I think the lighter Dragonfly2 may be the most practical. Stiil only $40-ish,delivered, but it's got the best blade steel of the three, and it's the least obtrusive to carry around in things like gym shorts,etc. and it's plasticky-look is least likely to attract the ire of any security types.

P.S. yeah,IMO, a fully-serrated edge is less practical for most folks' casual,daily cutting needs.
Heespharm

Post by Heespharm »

I carry my cat more than the dfly... But my cat is the old cat with cf scales and s30v... I do carry my zdp dfly with rit dyed black frn sometimes though because it's so damned light weight
jldc

Post by jldc »

DF2. Probably my favorite Spyderco although that varies. (It tends to be the one in my pocket at any particular time). Pushing the limit on knife length is a recipe for trouble, or at least losing your knife.