Izula Folder

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MachSchnell

Izula Folder

Post by MachSchnell »

I enjoy using the Izula fixed blade, and appreciate its non-stainless awesomeness!
Talk and hype about a folder model has been going on for a long while now, but is anyone else interested?

Here's the computer generated prototype.

After plenty of research all that was come across was that they are looking for a manufacturer to produce it. A collab with Spyderco would be sweet! Most recent info stated that Rowen will be producing it, but no real final info has be released yet.
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

I want one so bad. I love my Izula and the prototype looks awesome. I really hope it comes out soon. This year is going to be harsh on my wallet.
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

That thing looks absolutely spectacular. Hopefully they stick with 1095
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Very nice, now if they can upsize it a bit. More like Esee 4 folder. ;)
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I like it! Very nice work!
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

That prototype has been on the web site for quite some time. It was going to be made by lionsteel and they scrapped the project due to problems with the hest folder. Then there was talk about an ESEE III folder. Last I heard ROWAN was considering the projects but I haven't heard anymore about it in a long time. Someone did post up though that it would no longer be a frame lock if they moved forward with it. Lot of speculation around this knife. I for one would love to see it made.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Nifelheim

Post by Nifelheim »

Isn't this supposed to be in the offtopic discussion?

Anyway, I'd love to have one, especially if it's going to be a frame lock. THe guy who made that render in the original post said that he misplaced the pivot, so it's not gonna be exactly like that. If they keep the blade shape it'd be a winner.
Redeye

Post by Redeye »

That picture is years old.

The Izula is over-hyped in my opinion anyway - the coating makes it cut badly, it has too much belly, and it's overpriced for 1095.

I'd also like to make a request for this thread to be moved into off-topic please :)
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

I was originally going to post in the off topic but I remembered hearing that they tried to get in contact with :spyder: about production. So I figured it might have been slightly related.

I agree that it has been massively over hyped, but it should be a pretty sweet blade nonetheless.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cool knife but IMHO has nothing over the Gayle Bradley nor fathomly anything close to the upcoming Tuff.

1095 is awesome but Spyderco offers M4 and soon 3v (!!!).
ninemm

Post by ninemm »

A Spyderco in 3V! Wow, please sign me up. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Good looking knife but i think making it a folder is going to take away what makes an Izula as cool as it is. Also if that's a prototype then it looks like they at least thought about getting rid of that horrible textured coating. That's the one reason i haven't bought one yet. It might be tough but i prefer to not have sandpaper friction on the sides of my blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Evil D wrote:Also if that's a prototype then it looks like they at least thought about getting rid of that horrible textured coating. That's the one reason i haven't bought one yet. It might be tough but i prefer to not have sandpaper friction on the sides of my blade.
Yea, after stripping the blade it becomes a great slicer.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I agree the Tuff will be better (surely) but you have to look at the prices. Don't compare a $60 knife to a $300 (ehh) knife.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bradley wrote:I agree the Tuff will be better (surely) but you have to look at the prices. Don't compare a $60 knife to a $300 (ehh) knife.
http://www.eseeknives.com/izula.htm

According to Esee it's not being made yet. Since the Izula fixed-blade is about $60 my guess is the folder *might* be more expensive ;) .

So really we are comparing a 1095 Folder with one G10 scale and a RIL to a Gayle Bradley. The Tuff will be the slayer of Strider's so you're right, it's overkill.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

well it's US made, that's good. hahah
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the Izula folder will be in D2, that's what has been said all along. That will be a nice steel for a folder.

Regards to the Tuff, $300 or $400? =P
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My only prob looking at the proto is trying to put an opening hole in it. It would have to be somewhat awkward or small to work. Trying to mentally picture it closed, maybe it would work.

Inherently it would be compared to the other Golden boyz though, the PM2 and Manix2.
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

I love me izula but only complaint is the coating is like sand paper
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I trust my Izula-2 (and my ESEE-6), but for folders, I'll stick with Spyderco. A very different aesthetic, IMHO, as my newly-arrived Superleaf pleasantly reminds me.

As ESEE knives are not Spydercos, they are rather off-topic, no?
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”