Gunting

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGreatGonzo

Gunting

Post by TheGreatGonzo »

Greetings all. I was directed here by the fine folks over at Bladeforums. First let me start by saying, I am not a "knife guy". Ok, please stop hissing and booing now. What can I say? I'm a newbie. That being said, I have carried a Spyderco Delica for almost 8 years, and it finally came time to replace it. Following some guidance from Bladeforums, I actually ended up getting several knives (in a "going out of business" sale). One of them was the Spyderco Gunting. I don't know much about the knife (or any knives), but it felt right in my hand and seemed very sturdy. I plan to carry this knife on and off duty (I'm a LEO). Am I safe in using the pocket clip to carry or do I really need a holster? Any input or advice regarding this knife (even if you tell me I'm a idiot for buying it). The other knives I purchased were a Benchmade Griptilian and Kershaw Scallion. I also have a MOD auto I won at a tactical instructor's seminar last year. I guess I'm starting a collection! LOL

Gonzo

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to keep bad people from doing bad things to good people.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

Welcome to the forum! The clip on the Gunting carries the knife a little high above the pocket, and the ramp can catch on things, causing the knife to be vulnerable to loss. Therefore, I normally use a sheath made of Kydex by Skunkworks. I have long preferred sheaths to clips anyway, after losing one clip-carried knife and nearly losing several more. I have also carried the Gunting inside the pocket, using a Michaels of Oregon pocket sheath made for a short-barreled revolver. A Gunting carried loose in the pocket can bite you. BTW, a magazine pouch made for a 1911 magazine may fit your Gunting just fine, with the clip inside the mag pouch. Use the search function to find much useful information on the Gunting. For a link to Skunkworks sheaths, go to www.gunting-museum.com , and I also like sheaths made by www.survivalsheath.com and www.rivercitysheaths.com . About the only time I carry my Gunting clipped into a pocket, with no sheath, it is in my uniform pants, with the duty holster shielding the Gunting. Stay safe!
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

One more thing, which is very important, is to NEVER DO THE KINETIC OPENING ON YOUR LEG OR OTHER LARGE BODY PART. Kinetic opening is safe when done properly, but very unforgiving. The knife tip whips around at amazing speed, and, as the designer states, steel cuts flesh. I usually use an inanimate object such as my duty holster, handcuff case, boot heel, or such. I have practiced opening using the heel of my hand and forearm, but it is advisable to get yourself a trainer for learning kinetic opening. Of course, the blade can be thumbed open with the hole like any Spyderco.
leroys_45

Post by leroys_45 »

Welcome to the world of Spyderco!!

I recently came into posession of a Gunting, Trainer and Intro video. As Rex said, get a trainer and find a buddy to train with. After seeing the video, I am much more aware of the versitality of the Gunting. I had an idea before, but seeing it is worth thousands of words.

I carry mine in my pocket for now, even sometimes behind my hip when my carry piece isn't there (when I'm at college where they don't allow concealed carry). It seems to work well there, but I do find myself checking every so often to make sure it's still fully closed.

Learn and enjoy it; I'll be doing the same.
Rger No. 1

Post by Rger No. 1 »

Congrats on the Gunting purchase; you won't be sorry. Before long it will be your favorite carry, if not already. Although it is marketed as a tactical knife, it is a great hard use utility knife from my perspective.
I really like the inside the pocket carry sheath by Rivercity Sheaths, owned by Mike Sastyre. I have used mine for well over a year now and continue to be pleased with it. It is designed like a horn, with the one prong catching the inside corner of your pocket as the Gunting is rapidly removed by itself. The horn sheath stays in the pocket. Pretty slick. Why can't I think of things like that?
Good luck.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." Albert Einstein
Rger No. 1

Post by Rger No. 1 »

Congrats on the Gunting purchase; you won't be sorry. Before long it will be your favorite carry, if not already. Although it is marketed as a tactical knife, it is a great hard use utility knife from my perspective.
I really like the inside the pocket carry sheath by Rivercity Sheaths, owned by Mike Sastyre. I have used mine for well over a year now and continue to be pleased with it. It is designed like a horn, with the one prong catching the inside corner of your pocket as the Gunting is rapidly removed by itself. The horn sheath stays in the pocket. Pretty slick. Why can't I think of things like that?
Good luck.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution." Albert Einstein
TheGreatGonzo

Post by TheGreatGonzo »

Ok, at the risk of sounding ignorant...what the heck, my wife says I do it all the time...If I have to carry this knife in a holster/sheath, what is the benefit of carrying it instead of a smaller fixed blade tactical knife? One of my nagging concerns (which I can't seem to get out of my head) is the idea that a folder might unlock and close on my fingers, severing them (or at least giving me a nasty boo boo). I am rather attached to all of my digits, and would prefer they stay attached to me.
Gonzo

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to keep bad people from doing bad things to good people.
DDM_Reaper20

Post by DDM_Reaper20 »

TheGreatGonzo

Well, obviously, a folder has the advantage of smaller size. :-) A fixed blade needs a sheath for proper storage; a folder does not.

As to accidentally closing a Gunting -- if what I have read is true, the lock on the Gunting is VERY strong, so closing it accidentally shouldn't happen.

I'm as clumsy as they come, and I've yet to manage to accidentally close any of my Spydies. You'll be fine. :-)

BTW, is it just me, or does that "horn" lend itself to a sort-of brass knuckles when closed?

Stay sharp, DDM_Reaper20
argyll

Post by argyll »

The main difference between the gunting and any other knife, is that the gunting was purpose built to be used as both a knife and a less-than-lethal weapon. For more info on the use of the gunting I suggest visiting these two sites affiliated with Bram Frank, the knife's designer.

http://cssdsc.com/index.htm

http://www.gunting-museum.com/

Best regards,
Argyll

Edited by - argyll on 3/12/2003 10:06:29 AM
dialex

Post by dialex »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum and congratulations for your inspired acquisition.
The Gunting is a revolutionary concept and a great knife. It can be used as a knife or, in closed position, as a yawara stick, a thing that may prove very useful for a LEO.
There isn't very complicated to use it, but a certain amount of training is required. There's the MBC section here at Spyderco Forum where you can ask virtually anything about handling a knife and you'll get answers from living legends like Bram Frank (the maker of the Gunting) or Mike Janich.
One more thing: the lock of the Gunting is MBC rated, that means is one of the strongest locks available so far.
NEVER USE KINETIK OPENING ON YOUR LEG!

<font color=blue>I'll be back!</font>