Very Disappointed in Endura 4 FRN Gimping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
politicallyIncorrect

Very Disappointed in Endura 4 FRN Gimping

Post by politicallyIncorrect »

I have the Waved Endura 4 and it's an amazing EDC. Just for the heck of it I picked up a Orange FFG Endura 4 and didn't notice that the blade gimping is SIGNIFICANTLY shallower. In fact it's actually relatively useless compared to the almost perfect gimping on the waved version. When I look at the Nutnfancy video on the FFG Endura 4 it appears much more pronounced. Did I get a lemon or did Spyderco change something?
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

I'm curious to see what others say, I've got a waved Endura 4 as well and dig the "gimping" (jimping) but I've never held a non waved one so I'm interested.

Unrelated, do you like the ffg version of the blade?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

You might have just gotten a lemon. I'm sure after they cut the jimping in they probably buff it quickly so its not too sharp. Maybe someone buffed it too long and smoothed it out
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This thread is gimped without pics ;) .

Jokes aside, yea pics would help plz. Have you contacted warranty & repairs dept for a formal answer yet? They would prob swap you w/o hassle.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Blerv wrote:This thread is gimped without pics ;) .

Jokes aside, yea pics would help plz. Have you contacted warranty & repairs dept for a formal answer yet? They would prob swap you w/o hassle.
You beat me to it you bugger!!! Lol.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cheddarnut wrote:You beat me to it you bugger!!! Lol.
Rofl, no worries. Plenty of cymbals for us to trade off smashing after corny jokes :) .
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I have a waved Endura and a FFG endura and the jimping is nearly identical on both.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

"bring out the gimp"
"but the gimp's sleepin"
"well i guess you're gonna have to wake him up"

:D

Anyway, i'd also like to see pics of this. I actually took some jimping off my Centofante 4 because of how the spine hump is shaped on that knife, no matter how i carry it (tip up or down) it either shreds my jeans or cuts up my hand so i took a sandpaper roll and my dremel and smoothed it out some. I really like the philosophy behind the Yojimbo 2 not having any jimping at all and relying on ergonomics alone to give you a secure grip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RLR

Post by RLR »

The jimping on on my orange is shallow as well. To me, that cool. I don't use it with gloves, and I don't need sandpaper against my thumb. I'd be happy with no jimping there. Different folks, different jimps.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wow, I expected it to be a fluke. I still had my Orange Endura in the box, took it out to check and I am seeing the same. It is much shallower, looks square, and a little less grip.

I often think that they overdo the jimping, this feels pretty nice.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

[quote="Evil D"]"bring out the gimp"
"but the gimp's sleepin"
"well i guess you're gonna have to wake him up"

:D

Anyway, i'd also like to see pics of this. I actually took some jimping off my Centofante 4 because of how the spine hump is shaped on that knife, no matter how i carry it (tip up or down) it either shreds my jeans or cuts up my hand so i took a sandpaper roll and my dremel and smoothed it out some. I really like the philosophy behind the Yojimbo 2 not having any jimping at all and relying on ergonomics alone to give you a secure grip.[ :spyder: /QUOTE]

I think all my Spydies are lemons, my "gimping" looks nothing like that :)
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I noticed this on my Orange Endura as well. Usually the jimping makes my finger stick like I am touching sandpaper. With my orange Endura, my finger slides easily over the jimping. I very much prefer the aggressive jimping.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This could be one of those rolling changes. There have been a few changes to the style of jimping over the years, look at the early Military's "dinosaur" jimping.
~David
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Donut, thanks for the pictures.

I like the way the "new" jimping looks.
Come Join Us Click Here
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

cosmo7809 wrote:Donut, thanks for the pictures.

I like the way the "new" jimping looks.
Same here. Frankly I think jimping is overrated compared to ergos and a nice thumb ramp. Physical obstacles are going to keep your hand from sliding FAR more than traction.

The most aggressive jimping I have is the block style on the Adventura. I think it mostly just has the best chance of removing my thumb pad as it slides up :p . Looks cool tho!
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I guess I'm just going to have to get an orange endura to check this new jimping out :P
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Can anyone confirm if this style jimping is also on the orange delicas?
Come Join Us Click Here
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

After smoothing out the jimping on my Cento 4 (basically just squared it off, not totally smoothed) i can't really say there's much loss in traction. It does of course bite less, but that doesn't mean your finger slides because of it.

I guess i'm old school, my favorite jimping style is the squared gear teeth looking jimping on the old Native lightweights. I understand that's a hard thing to do with thumb ramps and choils though.
~David
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

cosmo7809 wrote:Can anyone confirm if this style jimping is also on the orange delicas?
I have standard Jimping on my Orange Delica. It's the sharper kind to be exact.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
markg

Post by markg »

Jimping is way over rated. Aside from a few note Internet reviewers who have turned everyone into jumping fanatics, proper grip is frankly more important. And try using the knife with too aggressive of a pattern for an few hours of cutting and you will regret it.