Thinking about a knife for Christmas

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DRKBC

Thinking about a knife for Christmas

Post by DRKBC »

As always I (or my wife in this case) will need to order one of these so I won't be able to see one in the flesh until it arrives. Any thoughts or opinions would be great, I am considering one of the following;

Vallotton
Navaja
Lum Tanto Sprint

They are all unusual knives in there own way, the fact the Lum is a sprint isn't a huge deal for me.

Thanks,
Dwayne
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Having all 3, the Vallotton is by far my favorate. It has the high quality F&F of the Taiwan built models, and a lock-up that feels like a steel vault.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well, the Lum tanto might be more difficult and expensive to get if you wait too long. I have all three of those, and they're all great in different ways. It depends on your preferences as far as weight, handle thickness, handle material, blade shape, etc.
:bug-red-white
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

SQSAR wrote:Having all 3, the Vallotton is by far my favorate. It has the high quality F&F of the Taiwan built models, and a lock-up that feels like a steel vault.
I am very impressed by the build quality of the Taiwanese knives. The Vallotton looks like quality to me and I really like the design, I am leaning towards that one. I was a bit concerned about the liner lock but it sounds like that's not an issue.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I don't have any of the three, so don't know why I am commenting now except to say that they are all great looking knives that I would love to have, don't think that you could go wrong in any case. The Navaja is one that is very high on my wishlist. I have other Xmas stuff to buy now or it would already be in my pocket. Good luck.
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

Hey Dwayne have you considered the Gayle Bradley yet? It is probably the "highest value" knife Spyderco produces when you look at the build, materials, fit and finish you get. You get twill carbon fiber (the nice textured kind), m4 steel, amazing bushings, beautiful polished liners, rock solid liner that is thick like a framelock. Basically I am trying to recommend it because it has nicer materials/steel than the others and is much less expensive.

SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

The GB is a stunning knife, and I think it is destined to be a legend in not only the Spyderco lineup, but the whole knife world.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

eneyman wrote:Hey Dwayne have you considered the Gayle Bradley yet? It is probably the "highest value" knife Spyderco produces when you look at the build, materials, fit and finish you get. You get twill carbon fiber (the nice textured kind), m4 steel, amazing bushings, beautiful polished liners, rock solid liner that is thick like a framelock. Basically I am trying to recommend it because it has nicer materials/steel than the others and is much less expensive.

Thanks eneyman,

You know I have looked at the Gayle Bradley but after your post, I am going to give it a second look. I like the knife, I have CF knives but to tell you the truth I kind of prefer G10 or Micarta, that being said I have never handled a twill carbon fibre knife. I have a Cally 3 and I like it but I am not crazy about the pinned construction and I find the carbon Fiber slippery. I will check out the G/B on your recommendation. ps Great photo!
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

BAL wrote:I don't have any of the three, so don't know why I am commenting now except to say that they are all great looking knives that I would love to have, don't think that you could go wrong in any case. The Navaja is one that is very high on my wishlist. I have other Xmas stuff to buy now or it would already be in my pocket. Good luck.
Thanks BAL,

I am giving my wife my wish list in hopes I end up with one of them, hopefully it works out and I don't end up with light up Neck Tie or something. Your right they are all nice knives.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

DRKBC wrote:Thanks BAL,

I am giving my wife my wish list in hopes I end up with one of them, hopefully it works out and I don't end up with light up Neck Tie or something. Your right they are all nice knives.
Boo to the neck tie. :D

My vote would be for the Lum Tanto. It also has the "vault-like" lock-up that you mentioned. I've had an original Lum for several years, and I still marvel at how secure and heavy-duty it feels. It is a little on the heavy side, though, and may not be favorable for an EDC. Just food for thought.

Best of luck,

S.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

SpyderNut wrote:Boo to the neck tie. :D

My vote would be for the Lum Tanto. It also has the "vault-like" lock-up that you mentioned. I've had an original Lum for several years, and I still marvel at how secure and heavy-duty it feels. It is a little on the heavy side, though, and may not be favorable for an EDC. Just food for thought.

Best of luck,

S.
Thanks Spydernut,

I like the Lum and although none of them would likely score to high in the EDC category, I think the Lum and the Vallotton might be a little more "practical" than the Navaja. Kind of like that black stiletto look of the Vallotton though.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I say get the Lum...the other 2 will be around another year at least...
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I always get sprints first even if production models are desired
more. Not to feel special or because it's a financial move but because I may never see it affordable again.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Good points WS and Blerv but I think I am going to make my decision just on the knife. If they were all sprints which one would you choose? still the Lum?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Trying not to sound like a drooling fanboy it's hard to beat a Schempp design ;) . Knives are personal of course and on aesthetics alone we see them different. Still, as beautiful cutting tools Ed never ceased to surprise me.

You sure picked three fierce competitors though! Tough decision indeed :( .
Sugarloaf

Post by Sugarloaf »

The Lum hands down.
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

can't go wrong . enjoy your gift . greeetzzzz (do not forget the picture's so we can enjoy to )
bh49

Lum Tanto Sprint

Post by bh49 »

I own Navaja and Lum Tanto. My baddy has Vallotton, so was able to ply with it.
All three are great in the "Look" department. I like slicers. Navaja and Vallotton edges are too thick to my taste. Navaja became usable for me after it was kreined. Lum is good as is, plus it is much lighter. And the last and not the least: Lum is sprint and will disappear soon. So my choice will be Lum without a second of hesitation. IMHO this knife has more collector and user value as is.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

Lum Tanto. Spyderco rarely makes a Tanto point and it is a sprint run. Last xmas I was going to buy a Chinook but bought two more affordable Spydies instead and now wish I would have gotten the Chinook because it is ouf production.The price for a Chinook has gotten crazy.That Lum Tanto will be much more expensive next xmas if you can find one.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thanks guys,

Ahh now you got me going. I was sold on the Vallotton now I am going to have to look more at the Lum.