Tenacious In VG10???S30V???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

Would DEFINATELTY buy another Tenacious and Resilence with Carpenter steel . Im happy with them now but could be more happy too.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Sal, your bombshells are just ridiculous. I expect it will be bd30p, but then again, Im hoping for 204-cp or 20cp, or cts xhp ;)
buckeye_jeff

Post by buckeye_jeff »

If we are putting together a Tenacious wishlist, I liked like to see Foliage Green G-10 handles to go with the steel change.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Oh snap. :eek:
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

wow, :D . so will it be china made with steel exported to the SRM factory, or will the design be built in the US?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

With better steel that would be a good model to put custom scales on.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Blerv wrote:Chinese Spydies don't get American steels due to cost of shipping it over. They don't get Japanese steels ever out of principle.
According to this it's solely an economic thing, not a principle thing.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

-F1 wrote:According to this it's an economic thing, not a principle thing.
Yep, it's an economic principle. ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Way I see it, Spyderco has the Tenacious family of knives positioned as entry level budget pieces. While as Sal noted, Spyderco can use virtually any steel they want on knives made anywhere, upgrading the steel on the Tenacious family would increase the price considerably. At that higher price point, some of the other shortcomings of that family of knives would become even less acceptable to purchasers.

The reality is that the number of buyers who are willing to purchase knives made in China declines rapidly as price increases. Most are looking for something cheap, if they want to spend more, they want a more "prestigious" tang stamp.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
catamount

Post by catamount »

A Resilience in Elmax would be sweet. Not holding my breath, though.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

-F1 wrote:According to this it's solely an economic thing, not a principle thing.
Ok.

I'm curious if it would become a principle thing though once the economic pitfalls were crossed.

"Hey look Spyderco is having Chinese knives made with Japanese steels." *awkward crickets*

The fact that people are pushing so hard for a Tenacious with any steel but a budget one is silly. It's a budget knife...if it becomes expensive than what's the point? There are a plethora of American and Japanese "premium" models that are comparable. I'd rather see them design a knife with similar features elsewhere than do some confusing swapperoo to appease folks loyal to a model name.

For three times the price of a Tenacious you can get a Sage1. It may not be three times the knife but it's not far off.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Blerv wrote:The fact that people are pushing so hard for a Tenacious with any steel but a budget one is silly. It's a budget knife...if it becomes expensive than what's the point?
I for one am not pushing for it... My initial response to this thread still reflects my feelings:
-F1 wrote:A Tenacious with VG-10 would defeat the entire purpose of the "Value" line. It would no longer fit into that category.
But who knows what Spyderco is cooking up (re: Sal's comment above). Maybe a model based on the basic Tenacious design, made in Golden, with good steel. I look forward to finding out, although it'll probably be out of my price range.
M55

Post by M55 »

I mostly lurk on the forum, but decided to comment since I love this knife (and it's big brother the Resilience);

New steel would be great, but what I'd like to see done is maybe move the cutting edge away from the pivot so that the entire cutting edge can be utilized and sharpened with much more ease. The way I see it, these knives have half an inch of wasted cutting edge on them.
catamount

Post by catamount »

The point is that the Tenacious (along with the Resilience et al) has a unique combination of features not available on other models. The fact that it's made to sell at a lower price point doesn't make it a lesser design. If they had decided to make it in Golden or Japan, at a higher price, I think it would still sell well.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

catamount wrote:The point is that the Tenacious (along with the Resilience and other models) has a unique combination of features not available on other models. It's another great :spyder: design. If they had decided to make it in Golden or Japan, at a higher price, I think it would still sell well.
I agree Tom, but I also think that, if it were made anywhere but China, there would be other factors increasing the cost in addition to steel. Specifically, the quality of the G-10, clip, and hardware would be higher.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

Why do most people make this about it being a budget knife I really love the knife and I would pay more for a more expensive steel. I don't care that it will cost more and that the tenacious is a currently a budget knife. I love the everything about this knife I just wish it better steel.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I'd rather see a more high end knife go for less. Like a 154 cm hollow ground military. I don't know how much that would knock off the price but maybe.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Vicinadp wrote:Why do most people make this about it being a budget knife I really love the knife and I would pay more for a more expensive steel. I don't care that it will cost more and that the tenacious is a currently a budget knife. I love the everything about this knife I just wish it better steel.
I agree... the fundamentals of the knife are spot on! (lots of cutting edge)

Therefore, I'll pay more ($100+) for an all around better version of it... (better steel, g10, clip & hardware)
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

My thing besides the steel i would like improved is the g10 should be upgraded to the g10 they use on the sage 3, endura g10 and the dragonfly g10. It is currently of lesser quality.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I admit going crazy on definitions. :( Sorry.

Fact is a very similar knife could be done in Taiwan with tighter tolerances and American steel. This leaves the value line where it should be.

Do people want a similar knife or one with the same name? Are they willing to pay more for materials with the same quality or want something akin to the Sage?

8Cr13Mov is an outstanding steel. The average person with factory angles would have fits in a blind test telling between it and a premium material. If the people want it to be the next Manix/Para modular platform tho give it to them :) . Maybe if the msrp increase is mild it makes sense.