Japanese steels in Golden and Taichung Models a possibility?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DCDesigns

Japanese steels in Golden and Taichung Models a possibility?

Post by DCDesigns »

Ok, I have heard it repeated time after time after time, that Japanese knife makers consider it an insult to work with foreign steels. (Im not sure why they are so sensitive, and cant see there are some foreign steels that offer attributes they simply dont). I have come to accept that I will never own a S90v dragonfly, but what would be the reason we couldn't see a Super Blue Para 2 (WOW, it even rhymes!!!).

Given the proud nature of the Japanese, you would think they would feel honored that their steels were sought out over steels in our own country for production. If they simply have a mentality that they will only use THEIR steels in THEIR knives, then Id say thats just greedy!!!

Cost I figure would be the #1, but we send CPM steels to Taiwan, so it cant be completely cost prohibitive.

How about it yall? What current models would you like to see in some Super Blue or ZDP (or even vg10 for that matter)?
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

As nice as it would be, it wont happen.... and has been stated as such(several times). I would love to have a SB para 2, but accept it wont happen. Didn't take much to squeeze that one out.......

but as a good forum person i still would love to see everyones thoughts!!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jwrickma24 wrote:As nice as it would be, it wont happen.... and has been stated as such(several times). I would love to have a SB para 2, but accept it wont happen. Didn't take much to squeeze that one out.......
Yep, me too but I'm not hoping too much for the reason stated.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

and pretty much +1 on above
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There have already been a number of Golden models Japanese GIN-1 steel, so in theory, it's possible from Spyderco's end. On the other hand, the Japanese do like to keep as much of the work in Japan as possible, so they may still be restricting export of some of the newer exotic steels. Personally, given the Japanese attitude of jingoistic superiority, I'd rather see Golden and Taichung use one of the many high quality steels produced in the USA and Europe.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As much as I love Super blue I have to say there are numerous high performing steels that can be used for Golden knives.

To be honest I thought the Caly 3.5 was perfect for Super Blue. The match was ideal IMO.

Heck, just changing manufacture of any Seki produced knives to super blue would cause a new process of relearning the working and heat treat that Spyderco wants. I'd say leave Super blue a Moki steel ( I believe that's who made them?)

Lots of other steels to try, even in Japan. We still haven't seen SRS 15 or YXR7 yet. Both are Japanese steels. They also have access to a modified D2 type steel that could be tried.

As for the Para 2? I'm waiting for CTS-B75, and a alloy steel version. Cruware maybe? :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Joe.

We can buy any steel from any foundry (except ZDP) and use it where ever we want. It's just not practical in many cases.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I guess anything can be done but why? It's the same mindset of putting a 350 Chev in a Mustang opposed to building a Ford engine.

I like Japanese steels and US ones. Seeing various ones (not just the ones we are familiar with) used over the years is exciting. Trying to force s90v into a Dragonfly is less creative than trying some other flavors from that side of the world. If I ever go to Japan I'm going to eat sushi when I get off the plane, not look for a burger. :)
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

jwrickma24 wrote:As nice as it would be, it wont happen.... and has been stated as such(several times). I would love to have a SB para 2, but accept it wont happen. Didn't take much to squeeze that one out.......

but as a good forum person i still would love to see everyones thoughts!!!
Where are your facts? WHY wont it happen? Im sorry but "because I say so" is not a valid argument.

The Deacon wrote:There have already been a number of Golden models Japanese GIN-1 steel, so in theory, it's possible from Spyderco's end.
Here we have Deacon who mentions how it has been done in the past

sal wrote:Thanx Joe.

We can buy any steel from any foundry (except ZDP) and use it where ever we want. It's just not practical in many cases.

sal
And here is Sal weighing in saying they CAN INDEED, buy ANY steel FROM ANY FOUNDRY.

So it is possible. There is no reason it could not happen if it was desired by Sal and Co. It might not be practical, but it has been done in the past, and there are no major barriers from doing it in the future. Sal said it, they can buy any steel, and use it anywhere.

But you know, you should keep insulting me in PM's, I think you are really getting somewhere with that... eh? Jwrickma?
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Wow your arrogance is getting the best of you.

Sal says they can but not practical = won't happen

I own the gin1 native.... gifted by drsnubnose

And your maturity shows here by bringing a private matter into public light, I will gladly post the pms if you like and we can all read who did what. You are rude and that's what my PMs are about. Have you read the thread by tazkristi abou forum members attitude yet? I really think you need to
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

DCDesigns wrote:Where are your facts? WHY wont it happen? Im sorry but "because I say so" is not a valid argument.

Here we have Deacon who mentions how it has been done in the past

And here is Sal weighing in saying they CAN INDEED, buy ANY steel FROM ANY FOUNDRY.

So it is possible. There is no reason it could not happen if it was desired by Sal and Co. It might not be practical, but it has been done in the past, and there are no major barriers from doing it in the future. Sal said it, they can buy any steel, and use it anywhere.

But you know, you should keep insulting me in PM's, I think you are really getting somewhere with that... eh? Jwrickma?
I know how this arguement started, Just leave it guys !
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:I know how this arguement started, Just leave it guys !
Yep, the testosterone level is getting high guys.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I don't know what's going on here, but we don't all need to be involved with it.

Awkward... :o
:bug-red-white
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

and my thought on a SB para. As much as I would LOOOOOOOOOVE one :D , it most likely just is not cost effective. And to make up for cost, the blade would cost most likely more than most of us are willing to spend. :)
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I'm backing off, I won't be drawn into a pissing match. Enjoy your arrogance I want no part of it
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

razorsharp wrote:and my thought on a SB para. As much as I would LOOOOOOOOOVE one :D , it most likely just is not cost effective. And to make up for cost, the blade would cost most likely more than most of us are willing to spend. :)
I agree Trav. I think I will love SB(as soon as my caly gets here) but it just seems to me that this kind of steel will excel in a thin, slicer grind. I do think that an SB para might be like the M4 manix, just staying on the shelves forever.

I would like a stainless on a para. Something like that carpenter BG-42. Now that would be interesting to me.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

As I've heard it posted by someone ;) here before:

Don't be too annoying while not being too easily annoyed, only paraphrased on my part, but very valid :)

I always enjoy a good discussion on blade materials though :) I learn a lot.

Having worked for a Japanese controlled manufacturer I know that the Japanese are very proud of their specialty materials and put into place obstacles such as taxes to discourage export of some of them. They are a very proud and independent people.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

jwrickma24 wrote:Wow your arrogance is getting the best of you.

Sal says they can but not practical = won't happen

I own the gin1 native.... gifted by drsnubnose

And your maturity shows here by bringing a private matter into public light, I will gladly post the pms if you like and we can all read who did what. You are rude and that's what my PMs are about. Have you read the thread by tazkristi abou forum members attitude yet? I really think you need to
So you have a golden model, with a Japanese steel, yet insist that it will never happen again... You sir, are like the people who do not believe in dinosaurs.

I hate drama, and do not wish to cause any, I only brought up the PMs in hope that you would quit flooding my inbox with your opinions of me.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

ah boy...-_-
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Like a said.... bigger person. Keep up the arrogance. Makes you look so mature