Knife Confiscated By Police Officer, Thoughts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

If it was me, I wouldn't care much... at the end of the day, all you have to do is go pick up the knife right? Although the whole taking knife out of pocket thing is a bit off. If I felt someone doing that, I'd be whirling around elbow first. :p
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

im glad you can get your knife back. im shure if push came to shove the cop was probubly within his rights to confiscate the knife and do more than cite you for drinking in a public place or public intox. as far as i can tell a waved endura is a weapon in many states here in the US. not shure about where you are but taking into account you were law breaking to begin with you are indeed lucky you can go get it back. This may be a lesson the officer is trying to impart on you to take more responsability for your actions.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
SuperFist

@ vicoll135

Post by SuperFist »

Those transit cops are homos just like all other cops.
Coming up behind some guy wanting to play pocket pool.
You were lucky he ended grabbing your Spyderco instead of your balls.

Anything considered a weapon by the cops needs to be completely concealed.
That way the cops can beat off on their own without bringing anyone else into their circle jerk.

Sf.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

SuperFist, keep in mind that this is a family-friendly forum and that your comment does not fit with the spirit of the forum. I'd recommend editing it before a mod does if for you.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

SuperFist wrote:Those transit cops are homos just like all other cops.
Coming up behind some guy wanting to play pocket pool.
You were lucky he ended grabbing your Spyderco instead of your balls.

Anything considered a weapon by the cops needs to be completely concealed.
That way the cops can beat off on their own without bringing anyone else into their circle jerk.

Sf.
Someone needs to grow up and mature a little.
justinl

Post by justinl »

troooolllll. Lame sauce.

vicoll: I have to side with the majority here that the cop was justified in taking your blade when context is considered. I don't agree that taking it out of your pocket himself was the best action at all though. If the "disarmee" was of a less even temperament than yourself, then he could have put himself and other transit riders at risk unecessarily. I'm sure a thug with a gun would be less receptive to being groped/disarmed in such an unexpected fashion. Welcome to the spyderco forum though fellow vancouverite.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Well said Jabba. I have been trying to be polite and well, Doc pretty much summed up what I had to say, but Sf's statement got me typing. I erased it before I hit reply though, so as not to feed the troll.
Then I saw your response and it's much better than mine.
Thanks,
Dan
:spyder:
Dan
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

If you look at SuperFist's first post (at least what is left of it), then you'll see that this sort of hate-filled diatribe is his M.O.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Anyone else note that this thread is four pages and not one reply from the OP... ?
Come Join Us Click Here
Mojo51

Post by Mojo51 »

I would chalk this up as a life lesson and move on.
Tea Party Patriot and 3% Oath Keeper
rondv

Post by rondv »

Anyone note the knife was open in his pocket???
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I love the fact that LEOs, attorneys and law students are forum members. Laws are subject to change and interpretation by individuals are different, but it's sure better than my hunch!

Also love the facts that Taz knocks trolls of the bridge faster than a billy goat. ;)
angusW

Post by angusW »

I don't like it when LEO's break the law but the problem is, there are a **** of a lot of laws. I bet most lawyers don't know all of them. In this situation I can only assume the cop saw 4 guys drinking booze from a bag with one of them carrying a knife. He has to do something so getting rid of the knife was the first thing to do, next would be confiscating the wine. He doesn't know how drunk you are. He doesn't know your temperament. He just knows the booze has to go and he doesn't want to have to deal with some maniac with a knife. It's pretty simple but I guess thinking that drinking on the Skytrain was a good idea so the idea of the LEO being a bad guy for confiscating your knife makes sense as well.

Time to have a good look around and grow up a bit my friend.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

rondv wrote:Anyone note the knife was open in his pocket???
No. He never said it was open in his pocket.He did say the police officer had trouble opening it which makes me believe it was closed.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

...deleted...
computernut

Post by computernut »

I live in Canada (Ottawa) and from the sounds of it the transit police were reasonable. A knife clipped on your back pocket on mass transit doesn't sound like a good idea as it easily go missing. Good news you can get your knife back, live and learn I guess; don't do anything that might attract the cops attention with your knife clipped on your pocket ;)
rondv

Post by rondv »

TrojanDonkey wrote:No. He never said it was open in his pocket.He did say the police officer had trouble opening it which makes me believe it was closed.
Wonder what he's saying here?

vicoll135 wrote:Hey Everyone,

Last night I was on the Skytrain with four of my friends with a bottle of open wine in a paper bag when I suddenly felt my knife – a spyderco endure wave – taken out of my rear pocket. When I looked behind me I was greeted by two transit police officers. At this point the male police officer motioning towards my bagged wine bottle and says, “I will for sure be taking that away,” and while flopping my knife closed, “this we will be talking about.”
-Victor
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Blerv wrote:Speeding isn't the same thing as drinking out of a paper sack. Guy is lucky he got a slap on the wrist by a smarmy cop.
Which one is worse, in your eyes?

As for the original post, to me it sounds like the police officer handled the situation quite fair. The letter of the law is one thing. But there's also to sense behind a law. While the OP might have been carrying his knife legally the situation as a whole seemed to warrant some sort of interference from the officer. He'll get his knife back. Sounds absolutely reasonable to me.

On another note I'm totally wondering about this whole drinking in public being such a big, bad offense. It's only alcohol, for heaven's sake! Everyone in American forums is always going on about how bad knife and weapon laws are in Europe, how we are all sheeple, not able to carry anything for self-defense yadayada. Well, on the other hand I WON'T get arrested for carrying home a bottle of Tequila of for enjoying a nice afternoon in the park with friends and a bottle of beer. While sex and alcohol are a total public taboo in the States the same goes for violence and weapons here in Germany. It's really only a matter of perspective, I guess. I'll quit the rambling now and wish the OP good luck with getting back his knife. Next time better leave the bottle at home.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Drinking in public vs traveling 20% faster on roads designed for speeds 100% faster than posted?

There are reasons public drinking is illegal. It's counterintuitive for society to drink booze at random on the streets. Not to knock the op but just my 2 cents.
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Blerv wrote:There are reasons public drinking is illegal. It's counterintuitive for society to drink booze at random on the streets.
Don't you think there's a difference between having a beer or a glas of wine in public and randomly drinking your *** off on cheap booze?! I take it you're American and this attitude towards alcohol is what you've been brought up to. Doesn't mean it's really true though. Same goes the other way around, of course. Only because our European laws regarding weapon's and knives is insanely strict doesn't really mean people carrying them are inherently dangerous. The OP obviously knowingly violated the strict Canadian laws against drinking in public. Which was kinda stupid. It brought him to the attention of the law officers because they judged drinking in public as dangerous for the public. Around here having a drink in public wouldn't even raise eyebrows where I come from. Not even from the police since it's not illegal. Carrying a knife like this openly on the other hand would get you a serious fine pretty quick though. Interesting how different things can be seen.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder: