Just bought a Smith and Wesson Tactical Pen

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Half Sack wrote:Blerv if I need to check it I'll just leave it and bring other pens its not an essential item like my knives, just curious as to what others thought. I assume they'd take it though since its all metal.
Doc OMG! I hope this is one those, "yeah but you should see the other guy" deals, looks like you feel off a bike or something.
Yea I hate being the guy to say it. Just recall a horror article with the TSA on a tac pen crusade a while back.

I'm sure a County Com Embassy pen or Fisher Space Pen would be just fine while still being solid steel or brass. Go figure the idiot logic on that one. Sigh.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have a schrade, and for a nice price it had both ball point and fountain style pen ends. I have used it as a lever with a car jack before so it is pretty stout for being aluminum.

Doc, I too seem to be a glutton for punshment, but I would probably want to smooth out the grips on that derringer so it just blistered, not tore my hand open like that :O
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Just got my order in and I love em! The S&W pen feels very sturdy and durable, more than I thought it would to be honest. The cover is not a screw on, but you have to pull it out with both hands for it to come off. I really like it! The Sharkies also feel like they can be used to take care of business and do it proper like. Well I can't fly with them, but I can and will definetly EDC them.

The light was also purchased at the same time. 150 lumens high and 48 low for $35 at Knifeworks. It shall be a part of the flashlight EDC rotation.

I also threw in the Millie as a size comparison for anyone interested in the size of the new EDC goodies.
Attachments
DSC00477.jpg
DSC00477.jpg (58.06 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Tactical uses aside, I find the S&W M&P pen to be an excellent pen. Writes well, feels good in my hand, has a top that snaps in place in both the closed and open positions, so no fumbling with a loose top as with some other tactical pens. Plus, the rounded end makes a great stylus for entering addresses into my Garmin.

For air travel, if you want something nice, look at the Cross Townsend. About the same size and weight as the M&P, solid as a rock, not quite as "pointy" when closed, but am sure it could still cause some pain.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Paul,

The flashlight in the picture is the light I mentioned earlier in this thread. It goes for $35 at Knifeworks and has two options. High output is 150 lumens, twist the head and you get the low output at 48 lumens. I was playing with it at work and it is pretty awesome. The beam is pretty focused and goes further than my 4Sevens AA squared tactical, but I still love that 4Sevens.
The light, however, does not come with a holster or a clip, only a lanyard. Still pretty good deal for the money though. Hope that helps in your quest for another light.

Koa (My real name)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

spyderkoholic wrote:Paul,

The flashlight in the picture is the light I mentioned earlier in this thread. It goes for $35 at Knifeworks and has two options. High output is 150 lumens, twist the head and you get the low output at 48 lumens. I was playing with it at work and it is pretty awesome. The beam is pretty focused and goes further than my 4Sevens AA squared tactical, but I still love that 4Sevens.
The light, however, does not come with a holster or a clip, only a lanyard. Still pretty good deal for the money though. Hope that helps in your quest for another light.

Koa (My real name)
Thanks for thinking about me regarding the flashlight, Koa. Truth is, I had some other personal preferences that complicated things. Wanted one that was hand filling and able to use rechargeable batteries. Wound up ordering a Fenix TK11 from NGK the other day.
Paul
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

The Fenix TK11 is a great choice, solid and durable body with good lumen output. My next purchase will be a Fenix TK21, I don't need it of course, just another sick addiction I have. :p

Enjoy your new light! :)
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Spydercokholic, try taking some abrasives and sanding that black marking of the shark off of the Sharky........it would look more like a well used marker......I knew it was a matter if time . Before the whole Tac Pen market would be frowned upon by TSA......yes I happen to have a couple myself, in the form of sanitized tuffwriter pens. Never had a problem, but the Doc gave some good nuggets in a previous post.....Also, you would be amazed at the stuff those airports sell in some of those gift shop past the checkpoints! ;)
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Stainless steel Sharpie, innocuous, and effective. Good marker too.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Stainless ... B001V9LQLG
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

stonyman wrote:Spydercokholic, try taking some abrasives and sanding that black marking of the shark off of the Sharky........it would look more like a well used marker......I knew it was a matter if time . Before the whole Tac Pen market would be frowned upon by TSA......yes I happen to have a couple myself, in the form of sanitized tuffwriter pens. Never had a problem, but the Doc gave some good nuggets in a previous post.....Also, you would be amazed at the stuff those airports sell in some of those gift shop past the checkpoints! ;)
Thanks buddy, I think that is a good idea, it would be a good way to get where I want, with what I want.
I actually just got back from my trip though and I took along a few other things to keep me feeling somewhat safe. It was a mini maglite, a sturdy wooden pen, and a pretty thick ink pen. Those three things were not even given a second look! Amazing what will get through and what will not.
I also wore a pair of steel toed boots and a belt with a nice and thick buckle on it. Some of my friends thought I was a bit paranoid, but that is all good, cause I sure didn't feel paranoid, just cautious :rolleyes:
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

I just (accidently) bought the S&W tac pen as well (**** Amazon 1 Click bid). I was looking at the Shrade pen since it looks like it might actually pass muster as an average pen. The Shrade logo looks like "Sharpie" kind of and it isn't quite as pointed as the S&W pen.

Might change my order. The S&W pen just looks like it will get me in trouble.

edit: just changed my order and got the Shrade one instead. S&W on a pen just screams "I think i'm such a badass, even my pen is a gun"
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:I just (accidently) bought the S&W tac pen as well (**** Amazon 1 Click bid). I was looking at the Shrade pen since it looks like it might actually pass muster as an average pen. The Shrade logo looks like "Sharpie" kind of and it isn't quite as pointed as the S&W pen.

edit: just changed my order and got the Shrade one instead. S&W on a pen just screams "I'm think i'm such a badass, even my pen is a gun"
LOL! The S&W logo is not very noticeable, unless you're looking for that. Your average person would not notice something like that, I know cause I use the pen at work and I've never had anyone comment on it. Though I do wish my pen were a gun. :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

WalzAaronFFG wrote:I just (accidently) bought the S&W tac pen as well (**** Amazon 1 Click bid). I was looking at the Shrade pen since it looks like it might actually pass muster as an average pen. The Shrade logo looks like "Sharpie" kind of and it isn't quite as pointed as the S&W pen.

If you're talking trouble with the TSA, I'd bet they have photos of every pen sold as a "tactical pen" on file. If you're talking trouble with the nervous Neds and Nellies of the world, I seriously doubt they'd know the difference.

Unless the Scrade has changed, the one huge advantage the S&W M&P has over it and the original S&W Tactical, IMHO, is that the cap can be secured to the body in the open position. I've handled all three and found having to deal with a loose cap to be a real pain in the butt.
Paul
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

spyderkoholic wrote:Paul,

Koa (My real name)
Dont want to get side tracked here but thanks to you, my dad is getting another Christmas gift :)

I had originally gave him a Surefire G2 with R2 Dropin. While super bright it ate batteries and CR123's can get expensive especially when he uses the light at work everyday.

I have been looking for a AA(or 2xAA) light for a while now with no fancy modes to confuse him. Really didnt find much and put it off. I read your post the day you made it and did a quick search, had it ordered that night.

I am sure this will be a perfect light for him. Give him some spare AA's and he will be good to go. The other guys that he works with have those cheapo "shower head" led lights that you get for 1.99$ and they think their light is bright! When he turns on the G2(and now, the E21) they are amazed!

Thank you, Chris
Come Join Us Click Here
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

The Deacon wrote:If you're talking trouble with the TSA, I'd bet they have photos of every pen sold as a "tactical pen" on file. If you're talking trouble with the nervous Neds and Nellies of the world, I seriously doubt they'd know the difference.

Unless the Scrade has changed, the one huge advantage the S&W M&P has over it and the original S&W Tactical, IMHO, is that the cap can be secured to the body in the open position. I've handled all three and found having to deal with a loose cap to be a real pain in the butt.
Yeah Deacon, I actually read that in the review before buying it. They are only a $20 spot so if the Shrade fails to pass the test I will probably just re-order the S&W one. Thanks for the heads up though.
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
JLS

Post by JLS »

I got the stainless Sharpie prior to my last airline travel. It's a sturdy piece and the cap clicks in place nicely. The pocket clip is worthless and fell off within a couple of days. Other than that it's a strong, functional marker that makes a decent kubotan for travel.

I picked mine up at the local Wal-Mart for just under $6.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Chris,

I'm glad we got sidet racked and I'm also glad your father will get a nice gift for Christmas. I'm planning on buying three more of those lights as presents for my father, mother, and brother. They're also getting a S&W pen, and a Tenacious each! I love Christmas!

You be safe out there.

Koa