Spyderco registered users more than Benchmade.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Crap, I thought this was a forum for the Mr2 Spyder.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

I'm not entirely sure the merit of trying to directly compare BM and spyderco. I mean we can go back and forth about how we prefer one brand to the other, but the bottom line is that each company has had great models, some out-competing the other, and thats the nature of the industry. Lets throw out a few examples. The Spyderfly, of which I own an original VG-10 version, was a great budget priced butterfly. Unfortunately it also was blown out of the water by the BM 42, arguably the best production butterfly at that time. We can go back and forth point by point showing that spyderco had quite a few superior little quirks and features, but at twice the price the BM was more than twice the knife, ultimately just in a different league, due in no small part to improved materials and critical tolerances. Conversely the Para2 from Spyderco appears to be more than a match for the best benchmade currently has to offer. Not only do I find it has superior aesthetics you're spoiled for choice in terms of colors, high end steels, the stunning bushing pivot system, the unmatched compression lock, and lets not forget a staggeringly good price. Lets not forget that the scalpers charge less for the most desirable sprints than the MSRP of, dare I say most, gold class BMs.

Here is the thing. BM seems to love making "decorative" knives. If you dig through their catalog they have a lot of overtly beautiful knives, not just in terms of design, but in terms of expensive and exotic materials which don't really add or even subtract from the performance. Spyders on the other hand, and this is a generalization remember, seem to be more about "how much performance can we really manage to give you per dollar and then cram into your pocket." As a user not a gawker I shy away from the BMs, CRKs, etc which may cut well but are a lot of pomp and circumstance but in my opinion don't offer the same level of performance and "bang for your buck." I firmly believe Sal sold spyderco short when he said "we'd rather be the ugly knife in your pocket than the beautiful knife in your safe" although I do agree with the philosophy of use, and that is what draws us to spyderco.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

MCM wrote:Not to toss the 1st stone, but a new user on the BM forum made his 1st post today with the same question. His name is B E N C H M A D E M A N
"New Enthusiast" all Cap's.

So, I have to think B E N C H M A D E M A N and S P Y D E R C O M A N are the same poster. With the same 1st post on each board.

So, what to you have to say now? :rolleyes:

Will post this over thee as well.
BTY, I have the same name on 10 knife forums some for over 10 yrs as I am not hiding anything. LOL LOL
Agreed. I always hope the best but this thread is a loosely covered bear trap.

Regardless of our feelings PLEASE keep it clean. BM doesn't need any mud thrown its way. I like being part of one forum that plays nice with others. Discussion and perspectives are great but so is civility.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Regardless of what I carry in my pocket. I would like to see all American companies do well in business. As long as they provide jobs here in the USA, go for it. Buy a ton of both, but mostly spydies. :)
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

More consistent grinds from :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm here because as I said in a previous post, it's here I find the materials, the build quality, and the fit that I want with the best prices in the market. It also helps(big time) that Spyderco listens to what us noisy forumites want.
MightySpydie

Post by MightySpydie »

I appreciate high-quality blades and have owned (and currently own) knives from most of the top production knife-makers. I have gravitated to Spyderco more and more over the years because of their outstanding customer service, innovative designs, and overall value. I'd say about 90% of my cutlery purchases these days are Spyderco products, for these reasons.
Beard Man

Post by Beard Man »

Evil D wrote:I'm pretty sure he's talking about registered users, as in forum members.
Exactly! :) Thats what I mean.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

WHAT?

The Government is requiring us to register our knives? OMG - let me get my tin-foil hat! :eek:

TedP
;)
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

The Deacon wrote:I can only speak for myself. I'm here because Spyderco has consistently proved itself to be a highly honorable and ethical company that gives credit where credit is due and does not use other people's ideas without permission. Benchmade has their own way of doing business. I do not approve of their way.
Succinctly and politely stated.

When I returned to knife collecting...uhh accumulating... several years ago one of the brands I was drawn to was BM. I really wanted to love their products, but numerous QC issues were taking the joy out of almost every purchase. That and not liking some of their marketing decisions, I gave up on them.
I returned back to Spyderco and couldn't be happier.

I will say one thing, BMs "fanboys" are really really loyal and fanatical. :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Owl45 wrote:I will say one thing, BMs "fanboys" are really really loyal and fanatical. :D
"Fanboy" is a euphemism for fanatic. The literal phrase would perhaps be a boy from the ages of 4-14 who has the duty of waving a fan on the royal court? :)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

This forum has been around for, what, close to a decade now, and has a very loyal following. Many of us have formed friendships and business relationships after getting to know each other on the forum. I know Paul (The Deacon) and I started posting here at around the same time, and we were not the first - our posts go back before the forum rebuild in sept 2004 or so.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I registered here to discuss my preference for crunchy Peanut Butter on my PB&J.
There are other forums where you get flamed for even mentioning crunchy. (Not to mention the elitist organic-only forums where they seem to prefer bread with weird seeds and stuff-what's up with that???)
—Daniel Jackson
BAL

Post by BAL »

phillipsted wrote:WHAT?

The Government is requiring us to register our knives? OMG - let me get my tin-foil hat! :eek:

TedP
;)
Say that quietly, someone in Washington might get an idea to actually try to make it a law, not that it would get anywhere.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

S P Y D E R C O M A N wrote:So,Spyderco registered users more than Benchmade because Spyderco is so popular?Or its better than Benchmade?
I can't figure out what you're referring to. If you know, can you enlighten the rest of us please? ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

defenestrate wrote:This forum has been around for, what, close to a decade now, and has a very loyal following. Many of us have formed friendships and business relationships after getting to know each other on the forum. I know Paul (The Deacon) and I started posting here at around the same time, and we were not the first - our posts go back before the forum rebuild in sept 2004 or so.
I think pretty much every forum out there that runs on V Bulletin started over around '04. There was a major upgrade around that time. There's at least 2 other forums i've been on since '02 that were both started over in '04.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Beard Man

Post by Beard Man »

MCM wrote:Not to toss the 1st stone, but a new user on the BM forum made his 1st post today with the same question. His name is B E N C H M A D E M A N
"New Enthusiast" all Cap's.

So, I have to think B E N C H M A D E M A N and S P Y D E R C O M A N are the same poster. With the same 1st post on each board.

So, what to you have to say now? :rolleyes:

Will post this over thee as well.
BTY, I have the same name on 10 knife forums some for over 10 yrs as I am not hiding anything. LOL LOL

AND? What you trying to say me?

If you have the same username on ALL forum,should I do the same?

I do what I want and what I like.

I wnat to be a BENCHMADE MAN on a Benchmade Forum and SPYDERCO MAN on a Spyderco Forum!Thats what I like!

I'm not hiding from anyone,and using two different Username is my personal choice. :)
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

S P Y D E R C O M A N wrote:AND? What you trying to say me?

I wnat to be a BENCHMADE MAN on a Benchmade Forum and SPYDERCO MAN on a Spyderco Forum!Thats what I like!

I'm not hiding from anyone,and using two different Username is my personal choice. :)
He meant no harm. And his question wasn't about your name, he was just wondering why you posted the same thing on both forums.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spydercoman,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

AND? What you trying to say me?

I'm not hiding from anyone,and using two different Username is my personal choice

SPYDERCOMAN/BENCHMADEMAN,

Welcome to Spyderco forums. Some advise for you. We try our best to be respectful to each other, and other companies and people in the industry. The reasons for that should be self evident. What you are doing is really very close to what we refer to as trolling. It opens the door to cross forum discussions and problems.

We like to think we are above or at least past all that. In addition, there are plenty of us that are also hooked by the whole knife thing that we buy different brands as well as Spydercos.

If you do refer to other forums, businesses or people please do so in a positive, or constructive way , or maybe just don't do it at all. There is plenty to talk about right here. Plenty for us, who come here to learn, to do just that without getting into contentious discussions or cross forum debates. Threads like yours almost always devolve into problems due to people being passionate about the things they like.

Sal and Kristi provide us with one of the best, and most informative forums I've ever been around and I'm grateful for that to the point that I try to self moderate myself, giving the Spyderco team one less problem to have to deal with. The majority of others here are even better at it than me, but I'm trying. :)

Welcome once again.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"