Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Post by 1623 »

Mud Shrimp Moe wrote:Can you comment a bit on the relative value of these models. The ZDP-189 model (even in FRN ... much less CF) is about double the FRN/VG-10 model. That's a bit of a consideration for me. OTOH, if the ZDP-189 version (particularly in CF) is some Holy Grail, then perhaps the pain of the incremental investment would soon fade from memory.
If you don't mind my two cents on the matter Moe...

With regard to the FRN models; the VG10 can be had for around $70.00 to $80.00 whereas the ZDP variant is generally $100.00 to $115.00. Higher, but certainly not double the price.

The Carbon Fiber model on the other hand is still available at Warriors and Wondersfor $189.99 and I've seen them for sale between $200.00 and $275.00 on the secondary market. The peel ply Carbon Fiber and ZDP Steel certainly combine to make a highly refined and flat out sexy knife.

Is that worth double the price of even the FRN/ZDP model? Entirely up to the prospective buyer I would say. Relative value is a gray area, where for example, a Delcia can be a bargain to one, and an overpriced "plastic handled" knife to another.

Holding a knife to grail status is more by ones overall desire to acquire a particular model, rather than by its market value. Simply because a Starmate is "worth" $300.00 or more doesn't drive me to obtain one.

I understand what you're saying though, you have enough interest in the Stretch to consider buying the more luxurious version; a debate I've had with myself on more than one occasion :)
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

1623, you get me. Not to argue details, but I found a slightly lower regular VG10 FRN price and a slightly higher ZDP FRN price, so my "double" comment was pretty accurate based on my own quick surfing this morning (i.e. Amazon).

As for the "worth it" question, my ignorance of steels and relatively undemanding needs in an daily use knife make it such that I wouldn't upgrade. However, when you combine that with carbon fiber (which I find sexy) then you're talking about something here. It's a good looking knife. The CF/ZDP is in my consideration set, although I'm currently coming DOWN from a manic buying period, so I hope to wait a while before I purchase more.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

1623 wrote:If you don't mind my two cents on the matter Moe...
The Carbon Fiber model on the other hand is still available at Warriors and Wondersfor $189.99 and I've seen them for sale between $200.00 and $275.00 on the secondary market. The peel ply Carbon Fiber and ZDP Steel certainly combine to make a highly refined and flat out sexy knife.
KnivesShipFree also currently has 43 of the CF Stretch available for $181.97. I had regretted not buying one when they were first discontinued, but did get one awhile ago, and I really like peel ply CF - not as slippery as the polished CF. Don't get me wrong, I like polished CF also for some things, but prefer the grippiness of the peel ply CF.

The stretch is just a really great knife, very comfortable to use.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

one of the most underrated knives in the current lineup. Great ergos, wicked slicer(especially with ZDP) and a lot of knife for the money
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
joetheknifeguy

Thanks for all the info

Post by joetheknifeguy »

Thank you for the info on the Stretch. I am even more excited about receiving it now. My usual EDC is my Paramilitary 2. I have a picture attached of it below. My other hobby is photography. So hoepfully if times allows I can get you all some of my Spyderco pics. I'll list them in the proper Gallery.
Another one of my all time favorites that I don't think gets enough credit is the Centofante III. That is a real little work horse of an EDC, and well, Frank Centofante was one of the best. Anyone have his memorial knife? I tried to get one, but no dice.
Again, thank you for the advise, and please enjoy the picture. I own about 25 or more Spyders, about 4 Sprint Runs. Love all knives, Benchmade, SOG, Puma, KaBar, you name it. But since getting into the folders these spyders bit me right in the A**!
Thank you again, hope to converse some more and pick some more of your brains!!!!!
Semper Fi
Joe
Attachments
Spyderco.jpg
Spyderco.jpg (77.18 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
joetheknifeguy

Post by joetheknifeguy »

That is a BEAUTY! Great Pic! Thank You!
joetheknifeguy

Post by joetheknifeguy »

That is a Beauty! Great Pic! Thank You!

Post by 1623 »

Mud Shrimp Moe wrote:1623, you get me. Not to argue details, but I found a slightly lower regular VG10 FRN price and a slightly higher ZDP FRN price, so my "double" comment was pretty accurate based on my own quick surfing this morning (i.e. Amazon).

As for the "worth it" question, my ignorance of steels and relatively undemanding needs in an daily use knife make it such that I wouldn't upgrade. However, when you combine that with carbon fiber (which I find sexy) then you're talking about something here. It's a good looking knife. The CF/ZDP is in my consideration set, although I'm currently coming DOWN from a manic buying period, so I hope to wait a while before I purchase more.
No argument at all, we simply utilized different vendors for a price check and I should have considered that before I spoke. I don't search Amazon very often; perhaps I should start checking once in a while.

I hear you with your buying spree. It's been difficult to hold off on purchases, but the more I consider what's coming in 2012, it becomes a bit easier to keep my wallet closed for the remainder of 2011.

That said, all this talk of the Stretch certainly becomes persuasive now doesn't it? :D
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Resist

Post by Resist »

Here is a good review on the Stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD24HLC0Ydw
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Resist wrote:Here is a good review on the Stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD24HLC0Ydw

Hehehe. I appreciate nutn's efforts but I just can't wait 5 minutes before he even opens the knives he's reviewing.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Hehehe. I appreciate nutn's efforts but I just can't wait 5 minutes before he even opens the knives he's reviewing.

PPPPpppp-KKKKssshhhhhhh!!!!!
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Awesome!
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

I was hooked after my ZDP Blue purchase.
So I also snagged a ZDP in CF and a VG10 black FRN (which is my EDC)
Stretch is one of my top 3 of all Spydies.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

i just sharpened my stretch and started carrying it again last week after dulling my endura hitting some metal with the edge, ugg. decided not to mess with the endura that day and grabbed the stretch. it had been out of edc rotation for a while due mostly to a broken clip and had been edc`ing a couple fixed blades recently. Now it has a new clip on it, a fresh sharpening and its been cutting at work for me a week now since returning to edc. still love this knife and sharpening is not an issue for me, i almost always use diamond hones and sharpen by hand except when i need to reprofile a new back bevel i use a lansky with diamond hones to set the back bevel and cutting edge bevels. I can sharpen zdp with regular stones and the sharpmaker but choose not to put in the time required. i try for a 40 inc edge bevel and somewhere below 30 inc for a back bevel. i think this gives it enough strength at the edge to keep chipping to a minimum and the working edge lasts a really long time. it feels to me as sharp as anything else ive used and is capable of an edge that will cut free standing hair or heavy duty cardboard like a laser. Even though i dont always carry my zdp stretch it will always remain a favorite of mine.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special