Narrowest/"least tall" EDC Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Random Chance

Post by Random Chance »

The JD Smith perhaps? Possibly not the absolute slimmest package, but thin and with very little 'hump' to hang on anything. The Chokwe and Goddard (and Goddard jr.) are similar in that respect as well.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Jd Smith is probably one the thinnest for a normallish styled knife.
Sugarloaf

Post by Sugarloaf »

Don't put your phone in the same pocket as your knife...
jossta

Post by jossta »

Lol, what he said. Only thing that sometimes shares a pocket with my knife is my wallet that's leather so I know it won't scratch it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Jess Horn lightweight sprint!! :) .
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

jossta wrote:Lol, what he said. Only thing that sometimes shares a pocket with my knife is my wallet that's leather so I know it won't scratch it.
Oh, c'mon! The phone is made of Corning Gorilla Glass™! In the youtube videos it's completely impervious to scratching! Are you telling me that the tip of an S30V blade can scratch something a keychain can't?????

I have a tablet with gorilla glass, and there is no way I am testing this theory. :eek:
spyderfan123

Post by spyderfan123 »

defiantly the centofante1, 2, 3 or 4 :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hiredgun kindly posted these in the Des Horn announcement thread:

hiredgun wrote:Received mine yesterday after all this time since falling in love with it when Wouter posted the pics from the Amst. meet. Fit and finish are superb. Blade is centered perfectly. Nice and pointy! Definitely a gentlemen's knife. Here are some pictures to give an idea of the size--smaller than what some people expected.

Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Douglas wrote:Oh, c'mon! The phone is made of Corning Gorilla Glass™! In the youtube videos it's completely impervious to scratching! Are you telling me that the tip of an S30V blade can scratch something a keychain can't?????

I have a tablet with gorilla glass, and there is no way I am testing this theory. :eek:
My phone has Gorilla Glass, so that is why I carry it the same pocket as my knife. So far I have no knife induced scratches on my phone.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I don't really have a suggestion but the dilema is a common one. It does make me think of two things though.

1. I wonder how many people would like the measurement of handle spine to blade spine when closed to be included in the info with all the other measurements for each knife. They have the length when closed. Why not the width when closed. This measurement I think is a bigger consideration with Spyderco knives because the distance is bigger than on most other folders because of the opening hole. I had the "problem" of finding a sheath to carry my Manix2 because of the "width when closed" measurement.

2. Man purse (or whatever you call it). That would allow me to carry all the things I carry and have a hard time fitting into pants pockets. It's getting chilly so that problem is going to be eliminated by jacket pockets until spring. One reason I'm glad I DON'T carry a "bag" is if I did I'm sure it would be heavier than my wife's. I'd have a multi-tool in there along with a circular saw, jig saw, tool belt with standard tools, etc. :D What I'm getting at is I'd end up carrying 5 lbs of crap.

Jack
PS, I like the Chaparral for a small knife in the front pocket. Also, they have small nylon sheaths for 3" blade size knives that when on a belt are almost invisible. I don't wear mine but do like it. Even with the clip holding the knife at the top of my pocket it's still a little easier to get a knife out of a sheath when sitting in a car with a seat belt on. Any sheath though might be inappropriate in slacks or dress clothes. Depends on what you wear mainly at work I suppose. So, I guess I do have a suggestion. Chaparral or small sheath.

Post by 1623 »

jackknifeh wrote:1. I wonder how many people would like the measurement of handle spine to blade spine when closed to be included in the info with all the other measurements for each knife. They have the length when closed. Why not the width when closed. This measurement I think is a bigger consideration with Spyderco knives because the distance is bigger than on most other folders because of the opening hole. I had the "problem" of finding a sheath to carry my Manix2 because of the "width when closed" measurement.
I agree 100% jack. I think the addition of the overall closed width would be a helpful and welcome addition to the specs.

To the OP; As mentioned, The JD Smith is on the slimmer side but I personally feel that the blade does not lend itself well to practical every day use. It's a gorgeous knife and extremely sharp, but the tip is very delicate and I could see it being easily snapped off. Depending on your environment it may raise a few eyebrows as well...it's quite long when open.

Going by the two models that you mentioned in your original post, I would say that the Chaparral and the Native 5 would be worth looking at.

-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Douglas wrote:Oh, c'mon! The phone is made of Corning Gorilla Glass™! In the youtube videos it's completely impervious to scratching! Are you telling me that the tip of an S30V blade can scratch something a keychain can't?????

Lol, I think you misunderstood me. I don't care about my phone :D .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Funny thing, but the Terzuola SlipIt, Native IV, Chaparral, Centofante III, and Caly 3 are all very close to the same height. For a really low profile blade, you need a very small Spyderhole and/or one that's only usable from one side. Assuming you're right handed then, as others have mentioned, the Des Horn might be a good choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
blackboar

Post by blackboar »

When I'm at work and in a suit, I prefer to carry my knife in my back pocket. A Delica fits slim and is not noticeable at all. It frees up my front pocket for everything from phone to keys and loose change.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Yeah, I carry a Para 2 or Millie loose in on back pocket alone, and a Les George VECP of a Gayle Bradley clipped to the other next to my wallet. Front pockets for phone, keys, pens etc.
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

jossta wrote:Yeah, I carry a Para 2 or Millie loose in on back pocket alone

Do you ever worry about them creeping out? I sure would.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Zerimas wrote:Interesting. I wish pants had a dedicated knife pocket. Clothing manufacturers seem to be out of touch with how much stuff people need carry. Unfortunately I don't think this is going to happen any time soon, as from what I understand they are still working on trying to get them to fit the fairer sex. Perhaps Spyderco should go into the pants game? I'd sure like to see some pants with forward-thinking design principles that Spyderco incorporates into their knife design. :D
I usually wear Carhartt pants when I'm working and they do have a dedicated knife/utility pocket on the sides of both legs that work great for clip knives.

Very tough and well made pants too. I guess they aren't as dressy as some folks may need, but I have worn the brown ones on dressier occasions and they look fine.
jossta

Post by jossta »

Nope, this is only for normal activities, aka walking to the car, sitting in the car, walking to my desk, sitting at my desk. Never even had a close call. Clip everything on weekends or button/zip pocket closed.

I have a clipped knife come off though, so best bet is to just be careful and aware that you have everything. I'm used to the weight of the knives in my pocket and I immediately notice if I don't have anything in there for some reason.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

jossta wrote:Laguiole ;) .
That is true, but considering cost and availability I would get Dess Horn.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Thanks for the great visual evidence of what we're talking about.

Zerimas,
Thanks for starting this thread! I was thinking the same thing when I started the "How thick is your Spyderco handle?" thread since I was also looking for a Spyderco that is thin and not too wide. But handle thickness is much easier to measure than width due to the variations when the knife is closed.

Looking at my Caly 3.5 against a ruler, it seems to be about the same as the Native 5 in 1623's picture at 1 + 7/16" width but has a significantly thinner handle:

10. Chaparral: 0.345"
16. Caly3.5: 0.364"
52. Native5: 0.468"

And a longer blade (3.5" for the Caly, 3" for the Native5, 2.8" for the Chaparral).

Here is my spreadsheet which compares various models' dimensions (but does not have the width you are mentioning): http://goo.gl/Iwqzm