Would you buy a Sage 3 if the G-10 was Orange?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Please select all apply below for your opinion of the Sage 3.

I like the Blue G-10 Scales on the Sage 3 and I OWN one.
18%
I like the Blue G-10 Scales on the Sage 3 and I want to own one.
13%
I will buy a Sage 3 if it comes with Orange G-10.
26%
I will buy a Sage 3 if it comes with Black G-10.
13%
I will buy a Sage 3 if it comes with Black G-10 AND a Black DLC blade.
5%
I will buy a Sage 3 if it comes with Digicam G-10.
9%
I will buy a Sage 3 if it comes with Textured CF Scales.
15%

Total votes: 142

Donut

Would you buy a Sage 3 if the G-10 was Orange?

Post by Donut »

There are a number of people that love orange, I would like to get a feel for people's opinion of the Sage 3 Blue scales and the option of changing them.

Please choose from the options above.

I assume many would buy one of two or three colors, so choose all that apply without us thinking you'd buy 27 Sage 3's. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Aren't the Sage series knives just what they are?
The Sage 1 is CF, Sage 2 is Ti, Sage 3 is blue G-10, sage 4 is... etc.

I would like to see future Sages with different colors, but the Sage 3 is blue G-10. I wouldn't have any need to buy any other colors of the Sage 3 if they were available. I'd rather just move ahead to the Sage 4, 5, 6...
:bug-red-white
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Strange survey...the only allowable answers are "I will/want/did buy..." No option to answer the question in the negative.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Donut

Post by Donut »

Bolster wrote:Strange survey...the only allowable answers are "I will/want/did buy..." No option to answer the question in the negative.
Yeah, the second I hit the submit button I thought, "I didn't put an option for - I don't want a Sage 3."

=\

I guess it just narrows the poll down to people who are interested in buying a Sage 3, the other people can just press to view the results.

I would add that option if I could. I went to edit and didn't see the option. I will look again.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Stefan Roth

Post by Stefan Roth »

The blue scales were the only reason for me not to buy a sage 3 yet.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

originally i liked the look of the blue, but after it was released i guess that color just didnt work for me. id probubly go for it in orange. idk. just one of those knives that falls into the catagory of " i already have a bunch of 3" bladed knives...." the lock while somewhat cool isnt enough to sway me. the color didnt help but i dont think plain black would either. already have a sage 2 and like the design but have limited knife dollars to be buying one just to have a series. Throw out something different like the sage 3 lock in a longer bladed knife. and then do it in Orange G10. like a long blade version of the manix 2 with the bolt lock in orange. .... now im feelin it.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Orange is too "safety plastic" looking for me. I like the blue but I would really love the Sage 3 to come with a BLACK G10 handle or DIGITAL CAMO G10 handle.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not a fan of textured G-10, period, but black is the most tolerable. Doubt I'd have bought a Sage III if it had been orange, know I'd have passed if it had been digicam. Not crazy about the blue, but I own one. Do wonder how much better it might have looked polished, like the red on the Sprint Persian. Slight chance I'd buy a second if they switched to the Sage I style CF, but most likely I'd just wait for the Sage IV.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not a fan of rainbow colors. I've thought about buying one and dying it black.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

they arent going to make it so... why bother? I though each sage was a evolution of the last with each having a new lock and handle material. I dont think they plan on doing variations of each in the future. Pretty sure what you see is what you get...
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

I remember reading or listening to a review that each sage not only had the lock of the maker being represented, but the handle material as well. I think its blue for a reason, not just a random color. So do I think it should be a different color? It look cool but no. Why dont they put stainless steel handles on the sage 2 to make it alittle cheaper? ; ) Didnt think so.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Nope...don't like bright colors on my knives. Black, Cf then earth tones.
On the hunt for...
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

I love orange and I want all the knives to come in that color!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Have and love the Blue G10, but love the Sage series even more and thus defer entirely to how Spyderco has chosen to package the locks it honors in the series.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MATURA

Post by MATURA »

I couldn't find any where to mark:

I will buy several Sage 3 if it comes with Orange G-10. :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Matt It's only a weapon when it is pointed with intent, until then it is simply just a knife.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I like my Sage 3 but not enough to buy more variations based on changes to the handle scales alone.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Drkknight614 wrote:I remember reading or listening to a review that each sage not only had the lock of the maker being represented, but the handle material as well. I think its blue for a reason, not just a random color. So do I think it should be a different color? It look cool but no. Why dont they put stainless steel handles on the sage 2 to make it alittle cheaper? ; ) Didnt think so.
+1
I can't recall anywhere that there would be different variants of each individual Sage.

Would I buy an orange Sage 3? No. Orange is my least favorite knife color. I'm only getting an orange Dodo so I can have a complete set, not because I like the color.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
MCM

Post by MCM »

"Would you buy a Sage 3 if the G-10 was Orange? "

No, I dont like bright scales.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

Judging by the poll results so far, it looks like it would pay off for Spyderco to keep pumping out the Orange.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

gbelleh wrote:Aren't the Sage series knives just what they are?
The Sage 1 is CF, Sage 2 is Ti, Sage 3 is blue G-10, sage 4 is... etc.

I would like to see future Sages with different colors, but the Sage 3 is blue G-10. I wouldn't have any need to buy any other colors of the Sage 3 if they were available. I'd rather just move ahead to the Sage 4, 5, 6...
The difference in the Sage knives is the lock. Sage 1 is Walker Liner Lock. Sage 2 is Reeve Integral (frame lock). Sage 3 is bolt action lock. Sages are a compliment to the type of lock and designer of the lock.

Quote from the catalog:
The Sage Series pays homage
to SpydercoÕs three decades of
pioneering knife-crafting. The series
reprocesses a similar shaped- and
sized-folder into a new model annually.
Each folder highlights a locking device or
mechanism crediting that mechanismÕs inventor

I like the blue handle. I've played with making G-10 scales for my Manix2 and had pretty good results. It's not that difficult, but is time consuming to get it right (for me anyway). I might consider making orange ones or other colors if I had one. I'm looking at my Sage 1 now. It wouldn't be hard to make scales for this knife but I wouldn't be able to improve on the CF.

The Chaparral will be a model that changes handle material and blade steel I think. I'm really looking forward to that.

Jack