Mini Sharp Maker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hardkiss

Mini Sharp Maker

Post by hardkiss »

I started a thread a long long time ago about a mini sharp maker and Sal even chimed in and said that a portable unit "is in the works"...Did anything ever come of this...I would love to have a mini sharp maker...I don't know if they could figure out to have both angles like the larger one but I would be happy w.just one...I would love to see this idea come to fruition...
"it is like a finger pointing a way to the moon, don't concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory"

Bruce Lee
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hardkiss,

We're making the final SLA models now. I don't think we can do more than one angle the way it's designed. Probably 40 degrees.

sal
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Sounds interesting. An even easier to carry EDC sharpener would be excellent!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Please sal, make it 30 degrees!
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

This sounds great, im excited for the future. (Its not like all the new 2012 models didnt already have me excited :P)
Come Join Us Click Here
sal

Post by sal »

Who wants what degree?

sal
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Poll time!
Stainless A.T.R SE | CF Sage PE | Ti Sage 2 PE | CF Caly 3 PE | 2x Grey G-10 Caly 3.5 Super Blue PE | Black G-10 Persistence PE | Black G-10 Tenacious PE | Foliage Green G-10 Dragonfly PE | Hunter Green FRN Dragonfly2 Lightweight PE | Foliage Green FRN Ladybug PE | Burgundy Micarta Jester PE
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Well, I can see it being smaller than the lansky crockstick set and having both angles.

I can also see it with one rod being at 15, the other at 20, you could do one side at a time, turning the sharpener around to do the other side. I can see people not liking that though

I think it, with refinement, should do both angles. ;) . I have a good Idea I cant put in to words, so ill try draw it so what if it went like this:

[ :: ] instead of this [ -- -- ] ( (Dots and dashes being the rod slots, I know, I know :p )

If I had to pick 1 angle, id pick 40, that way, if you have dulled a knife with a microbevel, you dont have to reprofile the blade.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Or you can have one hole for one angle... instead of the two holes for the same angles. Or is that already being done and I'm an idiot? :D
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
BAL

Post by BAL »

sal wrote:Who wants what degree?

sal
Thanks SAL, just another thing I NEED to buy. ;) 40 for me. It would be nice to have one to carry in the truck for a quick touch up when I am working away from the house. Great idea.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

As much as I love thin edges and acute angles, If Mini Sharp Maker can have only one angle 40 degrees make more sense IMHO. I can see this tool just for quick touch-ups and not for reprofiling. Many people put backbevel @ 30, for them minitool at 30 will be useless.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ted

Post by Ted »

sal wrote:Who wants what degree?

sal
40 please, IMO it's a tool for quick fixes in the field, not for setting a new back bevel
kaukol

Post by kaukol »

ted wrote:40 please, imo it's a tool for quick fixes in the field, not for setting a new back bevel
+1
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

>.< good idea I cant explain, im going to PM you tomorrow with a pic idea for the sharpmaker Sal. I hope it inspires :rolleyes:
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

bh49 wrote:As much as I love thin edges and acute angles, If Mini Sharp Maker can have only one angle 40 degrees make more sense IMHO. I can see this tool just for quick touch-ups and not for reprofiling. Many people put backbevel @ 30, for them minitool at 30 will be useless.
My thoughts exactly. 40 is a good catch-all angle that can be used to touch up most knives, whereas to touch up at 30, you'd need all of them reprofiled below 30
JD Spydo

Sell me on this new unit

Post by JD Spydo »

Maybe I'm not seeing something here :confused: >> Personally I've never had a problem with the current 204 Sharpmaker. I've traveled with it on several occasions and found the current unit ideal.

And if it only has one angle then I don't see any advantage for me at all :confused: I'm not trying to be a "Fly In The Ointment" at all. I'm just asking what the advantage would be?

Personally I find the "Doublestuff" and the 701 Profile set to be great for tackle box, tool box and other travel needs.

If I'm overlooking something then sell me on this new unit :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

This sounds interesting to me! I do already have a Byrd DuckFoot, which is easy to carry, and may get a GoldenStone. And of course there is the ultimate compact-sharpener, the Double Stuff :) . Some kind of guide to hold it for 40-degree inclusive angles would be great.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
ValueKnifeLover

Post by ValueKnifeLover »

40 degree would be awesome :)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm thinking 40 is a great angle for field fixes as well.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
BAL

Post by BAL »

JD Spydo wrote:Maybe I'm not seeing something here :confused: >> Personally I've never had a problem with the current 204 Sharpmaker. I've traveled with it on several occasions and found the current unit ideal.

And if it only has one angle then I don't see any advantage for me at all :confused: I'm not trying to be a "Fly In The Ointment" at all. I'm just asking what the advantage would be?

Personally I find the "Doublestuff" and the 701 Profile set to be great for tackle box, tool box and other travel needs.

If I'm overlooking something then sell me on this new unit :)
Hey JD, I originally thought the same thing, and I could be misunderstanding
the theory but I picture a 2/3 size version. (ie Para to Millie) Not nearly as wide
with only a 40 and maybe stones that are not as long. Would like to see the
same triangle shape size so they could be interchangeable (both ways) with
the 204) The new 104 would be more of a pocket size that could be more easily
carried in a back pocket, jacket pocket, or simply duct taped to your forehead.

I am very guarded with my 204 and leave it at home for serious work. In fact
when using, I will build a circular fire around myself and the 204 and stab at
anyone that comes near with a spear. The wife hates to vacuum later, but it's
a small price to pay to stay sharp.