para or sage 1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

para or sage 1

Post by apollo »

Hi folks.

Having a little problem
I'm getting a new spyderco.
but i'm stuck between the para 2 and the sage 1
So i need some advice :p

In my case the sage 1 is 40 euro's cheaper.
Now the knife will be used. but also collected. (no scratching i feel bad when i see a scratch :p exept on my chinook because it makes him more beautyfull :p )
My work Edc is my delica and i love it. :)

So just as my other knives It will be for around the house cutting.
And drooling when i look at them :p

Can you guy's help me on my quest ?
Some personal experiences are wat i'm seeking :)

Thx in advance.

Apollo
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

They're both great, but I find the Para 2 to be just about the perfect EDC knife.
If you're just going to lightly use it and keep it in your collection, just pick what you like best.

The Sage 1 is probably a little dressier, but the Para 2 is, in my opinion, more comfortable to use, more versatile and more capable.
:bug-red-white
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I don't have a para2 but do have a Sage 1. I think the Sage 1 is a prettier knife when looking at the pictures. The para2 with G-10 is what I'd want if it were going to be used as a work knife. The Sage 1 is a very durable knife and CF is very strong. Plus the twill CF on the Sage 1 is better looking than the smooth CF IMO. So I'd go with the Sage 1 if you will be using it for light duty or clean work. Another plus is it is less expensive.

I'm biased though because I've never even held a Para2. But, the Sage 1 is my favorite knife. If I could only have one knife the Sage 1 would be it. That's me though and LOTS of people say the same about a para2.

Good luck with your choice. Either way I think you'll be happy.

Jack
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

If the prices were similar it would be harder to say, but 40 euros cheaper definitely put sage 1 way ahead.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Hey, I am having a similar mental battle trying to choose a para2 and a manix2. I believe the sage1 and the para 2 are in completely different leagues, with different uses.

The sage 1 is smaller, a little thinner I believe, and is more of a dress knife than a hard work knife. IF you want something to drool over, its hard to beat the taichung twill CF. The para 2 has more blade, a really strong hard use lock, and in my mind is more of a user than a drooler. They should both excel around the house, you just need to decide if you would rather have a slightly smaller knife with gorgeous scales, or a larger one that is tougher and more capable. You cant go wrong with either as far as Im concerned, I say plan to buy both. Which do you want first?
apollo

Post by apollo »

First of all thanks for the amazing fast reply's :)

DC designs. To answer youre question. i have a little magnet fealing on the para since the first one came out years ago.
But never bought it because i did not had the funding.
Now i have. And then the sage 1 came up. And i found so much reviews. on how perfect and beautyfull it is... So it sounds so buy me buy me ,.... :)
Now i just know the para 2 ( if i buy that one it will be the camo version. )
Is a super knife. my brother had a millitary and i love the cutting edge on the knife so i know the para is the equel in performance just smaller then the milli .

So it is a little picking the beauty or the beast.
But wit all these great answers i think im going for the para on this one.
unless spyderco is going to quit making the sage 1 in a short time???

Grtz Apollo
jossta

Post by jossta »

Para 2 is the perfect EDC IMO. Go with that. And by that I mean, buy both :) . Resistance is futile.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

+1 on the Para 2
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Sage 1 is such a popular knife, I don't see it going out of production for a long time. Until the Para 2, the Sage 1 was my favorite knife. If I had to choose just one, it's the Para 2 for me. The Caly3.5 is another strong contender. ;)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

You must consider size and blade shape.
Para is larger, if that's not a problem, and you like a more pointed blade then ok.

Sage though smaller is still pretty tough, it has a "leaf" type shape, many find a leaf blade quite useful.

Both good. Aaaaah go for the SageI then later Para. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

This thread needs a comparison picture.

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Those are my 2 favorite knives.

I use the Sage 1 as my around home and town knife since it's dressier and less threatening in appearance. It also takes up less room in the pocket.

My Para 2 is my main bush work knife, it is a bit larger in the handle and slightly longer in the blade but don't underestimate the Sage because it's extremely well made. I would have to say the fit and finish on my Sage is the best of any knife I have ever bought and the twill carbon fiber is the perfect compromise between aesthetics and grip. I'm extremely impressed with it. The blade shape on the Sage also makes the tip a bit thicker than on the Para 2.

I don't think I can really say one is my favorite over the other. I am carrying the Sage more right now because I haven't had it long and I am around home not out in the bush working. Who am I kidding... I will probably end up with both on me at work too.

Here are some pics to help you:

apollo

Post by apollo »

Thx for all the lovely pic's and the info :)
It really helpt me.
I'm going for the sage 1.
And the para will be the new year knife :p

thx for the help you guy's :)
have a wonderfull spydie night
Grtz from belgium apollo
apollo

Post by apollo »

Finnaly i have the sage 1 in my pocket :)
thx for all the help guy's.
the knife is just the perfect fit in my hand.
i just love it :p the cf is just beautyfull.
the blade is just crazy sharp.
and the liner lock is very strong :)

spydercrew nice job :p
looking forward to christmas to have my para 2 :p
grtz form belgium.
apollo
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Congrats Apollo!

The Para will also knock your socks off.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Donut

Post by Donut »

I say if you are going to not try to get any scratches on it, get the Sage 1. If you are going to use it, get the Para 2.

Ah, congrats on the Sage!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jossta

Post by jossta »

Sage 1 is nice and if price matters a lot, that is a factor, but Para 2 is EDC perfection.
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Congrats on receiving your Sage. I have had mine for about a month and I'm still carrying and using it every day. The fit and finish from their Taichung, Taiwan factory is impressive. It is the only folding knife I have that I didn't need to slightly tweak the pivot a bit. It was perfectly centered with zero blade play right out of the box. I thought the pivot was smooth then, but it has smoothed out even more from using it.

Perfect little knife. You will really enjoy that Para 2 when you get it too.

I'm waiting on my first Military next spring. I preordered one of the M390 carbon fiber ones from Knifeworks.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Congrats! :)
Truely, a work of art. ;)
I still remember when my first Sage hit my hands. :D
Enjoy!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

amazon.com has the para2 for cheaper then the sage 1. I have my first para 2 on the way now....WOOOHOOO
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic