whats the native5 too small for?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ranger51

Post by ranger51 »

I think that the blade length is just about right.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

It's a tricky compromise, to be sure. Plenty of people seem to be saying "it's legal in more places, if you want something bigger get a Military" while others are saying "there are plenty of knives with short blades, why does the already-stubby Native have to get an even shorter edge!?"

I'm fortunate enough not to need to worry about blade length, but then I guess I'm more of a Calypso/Stretch kind of guy anyway...
—Daniel Jackson
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That was just me being optimistic. I doubt it was the driving force of the model change.

Point is it may be more squat but the Native was never slender nor long. A few mm's may be all the difference in the world for some but for me unless its .5-1" its hard to notice an impact in use. :confused:
Perry

Post by Perry »

Yeah I get it DeathBySnooSnoo,
It's hard to see a model change in an unfavorable way; for me I was disappointed in the Mini-Manix to M2 redesign. It might be best to just forget about the old Natives altogether, because this N5 is a bona fide classic! If anyone is interested in a small knife with a big knife feel –it just doesn't get any better than this. It shouldn't have to live under the shadow of the earlier Native's. Happily for me it lives under the shadow of the original Manix line-up.
–P
And as it turns-out the M2 is one **** of a knife as well.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Put me in the column of: not wanting the handle to overshadow the size of the edge. I know some folks like big beefy grips; I like a trim handle. If I'm going to the work of carrying it, I want as much blade as the folder can reasonably manage, while still being controllable.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189