Rescue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
r small

Rescue

Post by r small »

I'm interested in the Rescue 79mm for and EDC but from the pictures it doesn't appear to have the adjustable pivot screw. Is this correct? All of the Spydies I've bought in the past couple of years have the adjustable pivot so now I've come to expect it.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

The C45SBK that I bought this year has a pinned pivot, no screw. Pivot is as perfect as I've seen on any Spydie.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Shouldn't be a factor. Pretty sure this comes from Seki City. I have never seen one that was loose. :spyder: Be aware that it will be pinned, not screw construction, so not only will you not be adjusting the pivot, you will not be disassembling the knife at all....which IMO should not be a problem. I have 15 year old Delicas that have never been disassembled, and have never needed it.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

JNewell wrote:Shouldn't be a factor. Pretty sure this comes from Seki City. I have never seen one that was loose. :spyder: Be aware that it will be pinned, not screw construction, so not only will you not be adjusting the pivot, you will not be disassembling the knife at all....which IMO should not be a problem. I have 15 year old Delicas that have never been disassembled, and have never needed it.
True, but wish my atlantic salt was not as such. The back lock retention is not that great and I cant adjust the pivot. Not a big deal because its on my turn out gear, but its technically a gravity knife now because it can be flicked out without touching the blade. Which for edc is not ideal if you live in strict areas.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Drkknight614 wrote:True, but wish my atlantic salt was not as such. The back lock retention is not that great and I cant adjust the pivot. Not a big deal because its on my turn out gear, but its technically a gravity knife now because it can be flicked out without touching the blade. Which for edc is not ideal if you live in strict areas.
I don't believe any of the rescue-type Spyderco knives have ever had an adjustable pivot.
r small

Post by r small »

Thanks for the replies. Pinned construction is not an issue but I like having an adjustable pivot. I believe even the Byrd rescue models have the adjustable pivot.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Spyderco is moving away from pinned pivots. I believe this rolling change effects all current models. The best thing is to call the dealer and ask which one they have.

Personally I like most pinned FRN knives better.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:Spyderco is moving away from pinned pivots. I believe this rolling change effects all current models. The best thing is to call the dealer and ask which one they have.

Personally I like most pinned FRN knives better.
+1 on both points. I too prefer not having to worry about a screw pivot coming loose.

However, if the OP wants a screw pivot, it's worth him calling the dealer and having them check. If they don't have a 79mm Rescue with screw pivot, he might want to have them check their Saver Salts as well since it's basically the same knife, only in H-1 instead of VG-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

My Rescue is pinned, but is as smooth at opening as any knife I have.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

BAL wrote:My Rescue is pinned, but is as smooth at opening as any knife I have.
I've got pinned construction (including pinned pivot) Spyderco knives that are older than some people posting here. :D Two of them are very long term EDCs, and they are still completely tight.
r small

Post by r small »

I have a 1st or 2nd generation Delica that I've had for about twenty years. The action is still tight and smooth. But one thing about these older models is when you press the locking lever the blade swings freely. On the Delica the blade will hit the 1st finger with the unsharpened part of the blade (the kick I think they call it) so it's still safe to close the blade one handed. With the adjustable pivot models the blade stays in place until you push it past the locked position. I don't know if one system is inherently safer than the other but I've gotten used to closing the blade by pushing it past the locked position with the index finger and then shifting the knife in my hand so I can close it the rest of the way using the thumb-hole. Possibly this is all just quibbling but it seems to me that there's a reason that Spyderco now makes most models with the adjustable pivot.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Ahh, ok - I see what you're getting at and I'm in agreement, but the way I handle lockbacks like the Delica or the Assist or the Pacific Salt seems to keep that for being a problem _for me_ but that doesn't help you at all. :) The reason these work for me is that I unlock them one-handed in a way that leaves the backlock dragging on the blade tang lobe under pressure from the lock spring...so in my use, there's really never a time when the locking lever allows the blade to swing freely. I mention that not because it is a right/wrong thing but to explain why this hasn't been a problem for me. :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It is ideal if you depress the lock the blade should swing freely to at least a 90 degree angle. If it doesn't swing the pivot is too tight.

I have plenty that don't but it's not a bother personally.
r small

Post by r small »

I don't have a problem with the blade swinging free. All of my older Spydies do this. I just let the blade stop on my index finger with the unsharpened portion. Similar to closing a liner lock on the tip of the thumb. It works fine but I think I prefer to push the blade past the lock with the index finger.
r small

Post by r small »

Also, I just remembered that I have a couple of older model Spydies (non-adjustable) that require the blade to be pushed past the lock. I have a couple of older model Dregonflies that are like this.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That's perfectly fine and understandable. A lockback manufactured to proper specs should fall though. I believe Sal said that at one point.

No bother either way for me :) .
ranger51

Post by ranger51 »

Not sure about the screw, but it should operate good.