Spyderco Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
buddy54ck

Great Chaparral Pics!

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:
Nice pictures DedRok, Thanks! :D

Sal, I know that it is a bit early into the run, but I wonder when
We can expect another variant with a different set of scales, I can't wait?
Thanks,
Charlie
PS: As it still stands, this is still My Favorite :spyder:
:D
:spyder: :spyder:
TBob

Post by TBob »

Deferred gratification, the insidious crippler of youth! :D
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

I'm looking forward to the next version as well...

I know it's soon, but I really like this series a lot :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'm eager for a look at the next one also. I would think they'll come out no more often than one a year but I have no idea of course. Several people have had comments about the first one being "gritty" when opening. I'm sending mine in for that problem. I don't know if the folks in Colorado have looked at a knife to determine why so many people would have the same complaint, comment or whatever you want to call it. Hopefully they will learn the reason and correct it. I hope they correct the problem in mine. I'd like to have 100% pleasure when using it. Right now I have about 95% pleasure and a little un-pleasure (:confused :) . :) Nothing like a new word every now and then.

Jack
ranger51

Post by ranger51 »

Nice looking knife. Love the CF.
TBob

Post by TBob »

ranger51 wrote:Nice looking knife. Love the CF.
CF is definitely my favorite scale material.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

RockyMatt wrote:This is one model I have been eagerly awaiting.

Fit and finish is great and fantastic ergos, amazingly thin and the knife has a 'just the right size' feel to it in the hand.

The blade on my personal knife will rub on the inside of the liner very slightly if any downward pressure is used when swinging the blade open with my thumb. If I am careful not to apply any downward thumb pressure while opening, it opens perfectly smoothly. Once locked there is no detectable blade movement in any direction.

Lockup is rock solid and perfect.

All things considered its a fantastic knife and will be in my pocket for quite some time I'm sure.

Curiosity got the better of me last night and as you can see knife has a unique construction.

The Deacon wrote:Thanks for showing us what it looks like inside, Matt. Not sure what the pin through the blade tang does, but it definitely is different from any other Spyderco midlock I've ever seen.
I've heard (and felt) minor vertical blade play with back locks before. It is considered a characteristic of the lock that when cutting hard material the blade will move "up" a little. The pin in the tang and groove in the liner may be there to reduce or eliminate the vertical play. When the knife is open and locked, if the post is against the end of the groove in the liner that would stop the blade from moving up when putting a lot of pressure on the edge when cutting hard to cut material. Does this make sense or does anyone know why the post and groove is in the design of the Chaparral?

Jack
arty

Post by arty »

I don't know the answer to that question, but your suggestion seems reasonable.
Did anyone get the replacement clip screws, and how did that work out?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

arty wrote:I don't know the answer to that question, but your suggestion seems reasonable.
Did anyone get the replacement clip screws, and how did that work out?
I was told that they would send me a screw that they thought would work but I never got one. I did carry the knife without a clip for one day. I had to remove lint from the lock twice so decided to keep using the clip so I had forgotten about the screw.

Jack
Uzumlubay

Post by Uzumlubay »

Is there a problem with the QC on the Chaparral???

I had been considering the Sage & Native 5 as my first good Spyderco purchase and then the Chaparral came onto my radar. My requirement ıs for a good EDC which will not do heavy work as I have a Fallkniven F1 fixed blade. Living in Turkey I cannot get to see these knives up close so rely on forums to get information. Also if I get a problem knife it is not so easy to return it to get the problem rectified.

There have been quite a few posts about the gritiness of the action which required cleaning and lubing. Today on another US forum there were reports of the grind being off, so bad edge geometery, and the CF being badly sanded in the finger groove area.
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

from what i understand these were the early ones. I got one last month and its perfect.

it's an amazing knife, i highly recommend it
TBob

Post by TBob »

I have an early one that's perfect. The issues with the Chaparral were few. Remember, very few of the hundreds of happy users with good knives will generally write on forums, but those with issues do so regularly. That's generally true of all consumer products.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Uzumlubay wrote:Is there a problem with the QC on the Chaparral???

I had been considering the Sage & Native 5 as my first good Spyderco purchase and then the Chaparral came onto my radar. My requirement ıs for a good EDC which will not do heavy work as I have a Fallkniven F1 fixed blade. Living in Turkey I cannot get to see these knives up close so rely on forums to get information. Also if I get a problem knife it is not so easy to return it to get the problem rectified.

There have been quite a few posts about the gritiness of the action which required cleaning and lubing. Today on another US forum there were reports of the grind being off, so bad edge geometery, and the CF being badly sanded in the finger groove area.
the answer is no
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

As someone who got a problematic Chaparral, I would recommend buying from a dealer who will hand pick one for you, considering your location.
:bug-red-white
Uzumlubay

Post by Uzumlubay »

DC as you can see from qbelleh's post your simplistic answer is wrong. There has been or is some sort of problem. The majority of people reporting on it appear to be Spydıe fans and often have several thousand posts against theır names so that are not newbies.

Buying a knife from a dealer who is 5,000 miles away is always a bit of a risk so all I am trying to do is understand the position to minimise any risk. IF this was a problem only with the initial batch and was now resolved I would be fairly comfortable in ordering the Chaparral however if this problem is persisting then I will look at something else.

Qbelleh I like your idea but I am not aware of any dealer who I can trust to hand pick one - to do so they would first have to have several to chose from and if they found they had an imperfect one what would they do with it?? Send it to someone who did not ask them to QC it for them.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I can understand your dilemma, but the fact is, no matter what brand or model knife you purchase, there's always a risk you will get a sub-par specimen.

As for the Chaparral. Aside from that one case, which may be either a sub-standard specimen, an overly fussy purchaser, or a combination of both, the only reported "issue" has been grittiness which was easily cured by cleaning the knife. To be honest, when I looked at his photos, I could not see anything wrong with either the grind or the CF. That could be my eyes, the photos, or that the reported "irregularities" were not really noticeable. The ones I own all look fine to me, but I don't examine any of my knives under magnification.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Uzumlubay,

There were no early or late Chaparral's. There has only been one run made. They wre all maded the same time. There were a few complaints of compound left in the knife that needed to washed out. There were only a few of those. Hot water and soap.

Some customers look for flaws, as though perfection was not only possible, but expected. The complaint that I heard of regarding the grind and CF also complained that it wasn't American made and not worth the $110 he paid for the knife.

I think it would be difficult to purchase a CPM-S30V lock-back with carbon fiber scales of comparable quality and ergos, made by any other company for the same amount.

I designed the kinife. I determind the materials and quality standards. I would suggest that you purchase one, carry it for a while, use it and judge for yourself. There are many "opinions" posted on the forums are less knowledgable about knives than they might seem.

If you think that the Chaparral is poor quality, or not worth the price, I'll buy it back from you.

sal
TBob

Post by TBob »

Sal,

Thanks for bringing a steady voice of reason, and for standing solidly behind your creation. Nothing is perfect this side of heaven, but Spydies make excellence an art form.

I love my Chaparral and think that it's well worth the price. As you say, not everyone understands the value of the combination of elegant yet functional design, top-end materials, excellent workmanship, and superb ergonomics that combine to make Spydies, including the Chaparral, exceptional cutting tools at a great price. I have a number of Spydies made in Taichung and all have exceptional fit and finish, including my new Des Horn.

For the record, as much as I respect you, you're not getting my Chaparral or any of my Spydies back. But, nice try. :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Look at post #54 in this thread. There is a picture of a Chaparral un-put-together. There is a grove in each liner where a post that is on the tang travels when the knife is opened and closed. I have only seen a few knives taken apart. The Delica4 is the only lockback I've taken apart. I think (but don't know) that this is the only Spyderco with this design. You can see it on yours if you look inside the knive with a flashlight. This "gritty" issue is an issue that is on enough knives of the same model that it has prompted many posts, specifically the last few including mine. So, I'm wondering if the "gritty" situation is somehow tied to the different design. I have no idea if it is or not, it's just a thought.

Jack
Uzumlubay

Post by Uzumlubay »

Sal

İt has only been through reading the forums that I can get a good idea of what is best and it was through them (mainly britishblades) that I decided that yours were the best folders that I would actually carry and use and not be drawer queens.

I got a Tenacious sent from the States to get a better idea of your product and also to check that there were no problems importing them and was impressed with the value for money - this has gone into my backup bag. My next decision is which of your better range to get. As I said in a previous post it will be used as an EDC as I have a fixed blade for heavier use. Chaparral looks to meet all my requirements and is also very good looking and I am 95% sure that I will be placing an order in the next week or so. Just that ordering from a long distance where there is no chance to look and feel the product before buying, you want to have as much confidence as possible before making a commitment. İ know that you are one of the very few people that stand fully behind your product and that was a major reason I decided to buy from your company. My only concern was that this model seemed to be getting a dısproportionate amount of negative comments even on this forum. I generally disregard thoughs that are based on where it was made - quality is quality - there are no countries where everything is all good or all bad.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query - it is much appreciated. Be sure my next purchase is definitely going to be a Spyderco (and probably the next and the next)