One Spydie for Everything

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Things have gone full circle with me regarding spydies at the moment. I started out wanting to buy a tenacious but since there were none in stock at the only knife dealer I knew at the time(no enduras too), I ended up buying an all black millie(which I don't regret at all). I was just in the forums to look for an buy one good knife(fail).

Anyway with some things happening with me on the personal level, my knives are all packed away in a box and the only knife I have out, is my tenacious. I am a bit surprised(though I shouldn't be) that it manages to handle all my EDC knife needs at moment.

So that's full circle, I started out wanting just a tenacious and here I am using only a tenacious.

Sorry for the long story, guys. Thanks for bearing with me.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

For my needs now: Sage1 and that's an easy choice for me.

Second place would go to the Gayle Bradley and that's an easy choice also. All the other knives I own or have owned would make for some hard choices.

Jack
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Para 2 for me. Love the 20CP, can't wait for the blue M390. In truly difficult times this would of course change.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Tdog wrote:Para 2 for me. Love the 20CP, can't wait for the blue M390. In truly difficult times this would of course change.
I don't have a paramilitary 2. Never really wanted one as a result of looking at the catalog or any pictures. But, if anyone came to this forum looking for one good knife and was taking the advice of the forum members, the para 2 would have to be the first choice. That knife is possibly the most praised more often than any other. I'd almost get one just so I could hold it for a minute and then sell it. I just want to see what everyone loves so much. I'm sure I'd keep it though after holding/using one. I say that because I trust most of the opinions here when it comes to knives so I'm sure the para 2 is one fine knife. I've always wanted a local knife store with a good selection to shop in where I live but there isn't one.

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I had to think long and hard about this one. My first reaction is to go with my gut and say "Carpenter Para2!"

But then I get to thinking about how often I reached for my plain edged Delica decade after decade... I really don't think there is a knife that is more versatile, more functional, more tough, or more practical in the entire world.

My vote goes to my newest Delica - the saber ground British Racing Green ZDP-189 Delica.

TedP
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The compression lock is just tooooooo fine. It is strong, simple, and safe. The size and shape of the scales on the Para 2 fits most hands extremely well. For some, the knife may be a little large for edc and I do rotate with smaller knives (Sage 1, Caly 3, Delica, etc. etc.) In some workplaces the Para 2 may not be as welcomed but I find mine gets more carry time than others. I really hope Spyderco considers the compression lock in more models. Can't wait for the Yo 2 :D :D
ranger51

Post by ranger51 »

I would have to go with the Manix2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jackknifeh wrote:I don't have a paramilitary 2. Never really wanted one as a result of looking at the catalog or any pictures. But, if anyone came to this forum looking for one good knife and was taking the advice of the forum members, the para 2 would have to be the first choice. That knife is possibly the most praised more often than any other. I'd almost get one just so I could hold it for a minute and then sell it. I just want to see what everyone loves so much. I'm sure I'd keep it though after holding/using one. I say that because I trust most of the opinions here when it comes to knives so I'm sure the para 2 is one fine knife. I've always wanted a local knife store with a good selection to shop in where I live but there isn't one.

Jack

Jack i went through the same ordeal with the original Paramilitary. Looking at pics, it didn't appeal to me at all. Even the first time i handled one, i wasn't interested. Then, i happened to be poking around at the shop and pulled it out of the case and something clicked...i don't know what it was but i was hooked. The same thing happened with the Para 2...initially i wasn't impressed and favored my Para over it. Now when i handle both back to back, the improved ergos of the Para 2 are blatantly obvious. It would be hard for me to go back to just the Paramilitary alone.

A while back it was the Caly 3. Every few years a knife takes center stage and stays there until it gets dethroned. I have a feeling the Para 2 is gonna be on the throne for quite a while.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Caly 3
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

I'd have to give another vote to the Delica ZDP, something about that particular form factor just hits the spot for so many tasks, and having a steel that can hold a decent edge makes it even better. There aren't many knives as capable and so light you barely know it's there.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

To be honest I'd be fine with any of my Spydies. However my preferred "one knife" is my trusty 440V SE Millie !!

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Paramilitary 2 20CP
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
wongKI

Post by wongKI »

Street Beat :) )
BAL

Post by BAL »

I hate to agree with most, but to me the Para 2 is about as good as it gets as an all-around knife and not too big, but plenty big enough. However, if I could only have one, I still think that I would grab my Camo Military. I would also like to give a shout out to the Massad Ayoob. If you have one you know exactly what I mean. It is my number one personal protection knife and could be a great EDC if I would let it be. Most wanted for me now is the Yo 2.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For several years 99% of my use covered with C83 Persian and Caly3.5 (it was Caly3 originally). I love and respect both knives the same way. So this will be very difficult choice.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

NAKK77 wrote:If u had to carry 1 spydie and one spydie only for everything which would u carry. For me 'The military"
My first choice is Sage 1. But a second whay to look at it is to consider the word "everything". There are a few tasks I wouldn't use my Sage for. Cutting small branches from bushes or trees in my yard. It would handle it I think but since I have a Manix2/M4 I'd use that. Or my GB. I usually carry the Sage (or Chaparral) and one of the others. So if I were actually have to pick one AND ONLY ONE that would handle "everything" I might pick the Manix. I'd use the Manix for gardening chores before the Sage. But, I don't garden. What I'm getting at is a Ladybug will open a bag of potato chips but not cut branches well. A Manix2 will open potato chips and cut branches. I use the Manix2 as my example because that's what I have. Para2 and others would be an option also I'm sure. If only allowed one knife I might choose the one that would handle the toughes task I may have to undertake instead of the one that would handle 90% of my actual needs. Just a thought.

Jack
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

C44 Large Dyad.
O.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

NAKK77 wrote:If u had to carry 1 spydie and one spydie only for everything which would u carry. For me 'The military"
Lovely choice, I first thought of the S90V Military as my option, however...
The Deacon wrote:I'd make a sheath for my K05.
I had Scott at Scott's sheaths make two for me.
bigcat wrote:SS PRO-VENATOR , a real workhorse.
Blast from the past choice. I have two of those knvies (both combo/fully serrated with only about 3/4" of plain edge at the tip)
Bolster wrote:Caly 3
Also one I considered, however...
jezabel wrote:To be honest I'd be fine with any of my Spydies. However my preferred "one knife" is my trusty 440V SE Millie !!

J
Another great option, however...

If I could only have access to one Spyderco, it would be my 204 Sharpmaker so I could keep all my other knives sharp!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

MT11P

My M390 mule- love it, all blade, all ergo handle, always ready to go, just love it.

I would like to say a millie, but I bought 3 Mules in M390, loving the steel, and so turned onto the Mule ergo's and blade shape.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Combo edge Millie. Can't imagine what it couldn't handle.