so... 1 knife for at least 2 years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

so... 1 knife for at least 2 years?

Post by casey1 »

that's the position i'm in. those of you who have the sage 1,3, and native 5 tell me which you think i should get as it is the only knife i'll have for awhile besides my delica4. at least nice knife. i do mostly college tasks and don't abuse knives. thanks.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Why are you limiting yourself to those three in particular?

I think that a GB would be a nice one to get and for about the same price. But if you are really stuck on those three. Hard to say. The Sage 1 is a much classier looking knife, the Sage 3, little too bright and flashy for me personally, and the native 5 is a tough little knife but not classy looking.

As far as my personal preferences goes, Native 5. But depending on your lock preferences and what you like in a knife they would all do you extremely well.
On the hunt for...
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

casey1 wrote:that's the position i'm in. those of you who have the sage 1,3, and native 5 tell me which you think i should get as it is the only knife i'll have for awhile besides my delica4. at least nice knife. i do mostly college tasks and don't abuse knives. thanks.
You will love anything with twill CF... The sage 1 would be fantastic for you, but if I was going to buy just one knife for two years, I would get a Gale Bradley. Its around the same price as the sages, but you get a whole lot more (IMO) for the money. M4 steel, twill cf, its just unbelievable... good luck with your choice, and fighting the urge to starve yourself so you can buy all of them... -DC
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote: I think that a GB would be a nice one to get and for about the same price.
Too funny, Snoo Snoo, you beat me to it!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

You can't go wrong with any of those. Just pick the one with the set of features you like best.

That said, I'd probably pick the Native 5, Sage 3, Sage 1, in that order. Though any would serve just fine.

As others have said, the GB is nice, but in a different size/weight category. If you're considering other knives, I'd highly recommend the Para 2. That would be my top choice if I could only carry 1 Spydie.
:bug-red-white
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Caly 3.5 if I had to limit myself....
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
buddy54ck

welllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Post by buddy54ck »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Why are you limiting yourself to those three in particular?

I think that a GB would be a nice one to get and for about the same price. But if you are really stuck on those three. Hard to say. The Sage 1 is a much classier looking knife, the Sage 3, little too bright and flashy for me personally, and the native 5 is a tough little knife but not classy looking.

As far as my personal preferences goes, Native 5. But depending on your lock preferences and what you like in a knife they would all do you extremely well.
:spyder: :spyder:
Hi,
I was thinking the same thing about limiting Yourself!
My first choice in Your selection, would be the Sage 1, as the liner lock
is easier to use, than a back lock. Though if a backlock doesn't bother
You, I would go with the Chaparral! It has the same GREAT CF,
It dissapears in Your pocket, is very EDC friendly, classier than the Delica,
and a blade that I haven't heard anything bad about! Check one out!
The native 5 is nothing that You would be dissapointed with either. After 2
years, You may tire of the blue color on the Sage 3.
Just My 2 cents, and good luck with Your choice, and besides,
How could You go wrong with any SPYDERCO?
Charlie
:D
:spyder: :spyder:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

casey1 wrote:i do mostly college tasks and don't abuse knives. thanks.
Unless college has changed a lot since I was there, I doubt you'd need a honkin' good knife like the GB or either of the wonderful Sages you mention. I have all of them, and also the Chaparral, which I, too, would suggest you consider.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I could have a Sage2 as my only knife and be perfectly happy. It's really that good :) .
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Get a sage 1 or 3.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
jossta

Post by jossta »

Native 5 or Caly 3.5
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

DCDesigns wrote:Too funny, Snoo Snoo, you beat me to it!
Ha, well it's a good suggestion.

And I didn't suggest a Chaparral because the OP already has a small knife, the Sages are (IMO) a small/medium knife. So why not get something that looks like a nice gentleman's knife but is spectacular and will do everything and more that he might come across in the next 2 years.
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The three you mention are all great knives, and have very similar blade shapes, so you really can't make a wrong choice. As a lefty, either I'd go with the Native V or cheat, downsize, and go with a Chaparral. :o However, if you're right handed and want one of those three, I'd suggest going with the Sage 1 because it's the classiest looking.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
casey1

Post by casey1 »

i do intend to stay classy... sage 1 it is. if i want a slightly bigger blade after that, it's the sage 3. if i want a slighty smaller handle, it's the native. good work gents.
badjujuboy

Post by badjujuboy »

Thought I would be happy with my new BM530SBK......... wrong!
Even though it's tip down (not a fav) I went back to my Calypso JR. It's a great little knife with great ergonomics. I have a boat load of expensive knives, big, small, etc. but this is one solid little knife that I can depend on. j
2cha

Post by 2cha »

You could do the economy a favor and add country of origin to your list of considerations. After all, you'll be looking for a job at some point, presumably here in the U.S.A.

The Native 5 is extremely robust. Think tractor. It's in my pocket at this very moment.

The Sage series are all wonderful knives. I've handled each, and even broke with my USA made preference and bought a Sage 3 for one of my sons. Prettier than the Native 5 and plenty stout.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I suggest Sage I. It will suit your needs perfectly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
badjujuboy

Post by badjujuboy »

2cha wrote:You could do the economy a favor and add country of origin to your list of considerations. After all, you'll be looking for a job at some point, presumably here in the U.S.A.

The Native 5 is extremely robust. Think tractor. It's in my pocket at this very moment.

The Sage series are all wonderful knives. I've handled each, and even broke with my USA made preference and bought a Sage 3 for one of my sons. Prettier than the Native 5 and plenty stout.
Thanks for the advise but I don't need an economics lesson. Just talking knives. As I said I have many, many knives.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

G-10 dragonfly and a Tenacious. Little bit of both worlds
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

2cha wrote:You could do the economy a favor and add country of origin to your list of considerations. After all, you'll be looking for a job at some point, presumably here in the U.S.A.

I don't need an economics lesson either but I totally agree with the advice you gave casey1 not badjujuboy. I know all the knives made by Spyderco are quality and that is because Spyderco makes sure of it. That said I want Golden made to be the best. Just silly American pride.