Any Vallotton love out there?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cutter17

Any Vallotton love out there?

Post by cutter17 »

I've just started to carry my Vallotton again, after a month of carrying my Falkniven PXL/ZT0200. I forgot how much I liked this knife until I pulled it out of my knifepak and held it in my hand again. That narrow build, from top to bottom, coupled with the stout build, from left to right, well, I just love it! :D

I'm seriously thinking about getting a second one to hold in reserve, and there are not too many knives I do this with. So sound off if you have one of these and let's hear what you like best about it.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I really like mine a lot, though it's not one that I carry or use too much. I love the thickness of the handle and how straight it is. I prefer that by far to a lot of really weird "ergonomic" handles, which I tend to mostly find are anything but.
I love the thick blade and the grind (though mine is a bit too obtuse).
I love the solid and heavy feel of it a lot too.

However, I hate the clip. First thing I did was take it off and the knife looks about 100 times better. I think that it needs a short deep carry clip that doesn't obscure the really great looks of the knife. Sadly these don't fit Spyderco knives, but this clip would be very very perfect on the Valloton I think http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php ... 60_101_379
On the hunt for...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like my Vallotton a lot too, but mostly as an art piece to handle and enjoy. It's too thick and heavy for my EDC preferences, but I appreciate the design and build quality, and enjoy having it in the collection.

I agree, it deserved a better clip. I left the clip on mine, but since I don't carry it anyway, I may remove it eventually. And tip up only would have been nice to avoid drilling all those holes in the bolsters.

The other thing that keeps me from using it more, is the awkward placement of the liner lock protruding right into the middle of the finger choil. I would prefer a smooth, comfortable place to rest a finger, even if it makes unlocking a little more difficult. Cutting a contour into that liner lock to more closely match the curve of the choil would make this knife much more comfortable to use, IMO.

Overall, it's a great knife with exceptional quality and fit & finish.
:bug-red-white
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

It's good that Spyderco makes a variety of knives.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
cutter17

Post by cutter17 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I really like mine a lot, though it's not one that I carry or use too much. I love the thickness of the handle and how straight it is. I prefer that by far to a lot of really weird "ergonomic" handles, which I tend to mostly find are anything but.
I love the thick blade and the grind (though mine is a bit too obtuse).
I love the solid and heavy feel of it a lot too.

However, I hate the clip. First thing I did was take it off and the knife looks about 100 times better. I think that it needs a short deep carry clip that doesn't obscure the really great looks of the knife. Sadly these don't fit Spyderco knives, but this clip would be very very perfect on the Valloton I think http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php ... 60_101_379
I'll try and get a pic up when I get home, but I retrofitted mine with a deep-carry flip that puts the entire knife in my pocket. Look at http://www.usaknifemaker.com for their foldover, deepcarry clips as these will fit the exsisting holes on the Vallotton.
MCM

Post by MCM »

yes

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
DiKa

Post by DiKa »

Love mine. Actually got 2 of them, one for EDC and the other one for collection. I love the blade and even though the handle is a bit too thick for EDC, the design makes me forget about it. :D
racer88

Post by racer88 »

cutter17 wrote:I'll try and get a pic up when I get home, but I retrofitted mine with a deep-carry flip that puts the entire knife in my pocket. Look at http://www.usaknifemaker.com for their foldover, deepcarry clips as these will fit the exsisting holes on the Vallotton.
Do you have a direct link? I can't find them on that site. Thanks!

Love the Valloton!

Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

i love mine, i think it is a beefy gentleman's knife that would do whatever job was asked of it. everyone i've shown the knife too also remark on how awesome it looks. i also dig the feel of the polished g10 and the weight and ergos when i hold it. i love it.
Attachments
026.JPG
026.JPG (63.73 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
angusW

Post by angusW »

Forgot about this guy. It's going on my list.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

Chiming in with some more Vallotton love :D

As with some others it's not a knife I EDC.. it's sadly just too anti-social for my conservative area :( but I still totally love it as a collector. The polished G10 is superb, looks great, feels great. I agree with gbelleh about the protruding liner lock... quite noticeable on my index finger when i am gripping the knife.

As for the pocket clip...on the good side it's not the standard Spyderco matt black clips that chips the paint very easily.. it's more like black chrome or some sort of anodising. I like that. On the bad side I really don't think the mounting holes on the bolster are required. I usually love the fact that Spyderco gives users the choice of tip-up or tip-down... but on the Vallotton the clips looks totally out of place on the bolster for tip-down carry. The bolster is silver & the clip is black!

But apart from these quite minor quibbles... LOVE IT ! :D :spyder:
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
cutter17

Post by cutter17 »

racer88 wrote:Do you have a direct link? I can't find them on that site. Thanks!

Love the Valloton!

This link shows the STEALTH model, which is thinner, and a little bit deeper sitting clip. There are three more foldover clips available. Just look at the Home page and find Folder Parts in the left hand menu. Once you click there just scroll down to find the clips.

http://www.usaknifemaker.com/index.php? ... ts_id=1943
DeathBySnooSnoo

I'm just not a fan of those clips. I think that they are too long and don't match the Valloton very well.

The one that I linked (that sadly doesn't fit) is only about an inch and a half long and the TI black blends in very well with the G10. So you have a nearly invisible clip that doesn't detract from the great lines of this knife.
On the hunt for...
Visual Articulation

Carried since my 5 yr old got it for my fathers day present! ;P

Post by Visual Articulation »

Love my Vallotton ! rides in my front right pocket since the day i got it and i must say my s90v para is jealous. :D I want to snag another for my son at some point! cant wait to see the Vallotton Auto If sal and the gang still have that in the works. :spyder:
cutter17

Post by cutter17 »

Oh, I don't like the long length either, and that is why I cut them down to a total length of 1 1/4" for this knife. I always cover my clips with black 3M Stair Step tape, so there is only a very small clip footprint to be seen. Being made of titanium, a handheld torch (butane fuel type) will allow you to heat and bend, while my Dremel allows me to reshape the end of the clip back to a semi-circle. The same torch allows you to annodize the clip and with practice you can acheive a clip of motteled blues/violets/ and some gold, that don't look bad, but I still like the 3M product better!

Here's a couple really bad pics;
Attachments
IMG00163.jpg
IMG00163.jpg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
IMG00162.jpg
IMG00162.jpg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 2064 times
DeathBySnooSnoo

cutter17 wrote:Oh, I don't like the long length either, and that is why I cut them down to a total length of 1 1/4" for this knife. I always cover my clips with black 3M Stair Step tape, so there is only a very small clip footprint to be seen. Being made of titanium, a handheld torch (butane fuel type) will allow you to heat and bend, while my Dremel allows me to reshape the end of the clip back to a semi-circle. The same torch allows you to annodize the clip and with practice you can acheive a clip of motteled blues/violets/ and some gold, that don't look bad, but I still like the 3M product better!

Here's a couple really bad pics;
Crappy pics :p but I see the changes you made and they are pretty good. Just wish that it was possible to get a proper black clip for it.

I know that it costs more money, but I think that there are just some knives that should have their own clip made. This is definitely one of them...the upcoming Techno is another. The clip (and the whole knife in general) on the prototype is far superior the the proposed production model.

But on the other hand...at least they didn't use a wire clip on the Valloton...imagine how that would have really uglied up the knife.
On the hunt for...
cutter17

Post by cutter17 »

Hey Snoo, tell you what. Email me a shipping address and I will send you the other clip I took off, before putting the new one on the other night. The one I took off is a foldover from the USA knifemaker place, it is thinner of the three left, that I did not link too, but mentioned. It has been done the exact same way as this one. Use it, toss it, whichever way you want to do it, but it will give you an idea, and you may end up liking it! I'll cover it with the #M tape, and send you some extra tape, in case you want to take the original tape off and have the titanium showing. Anyway, let me know, and if you want it I'll get it mailed out tomorrow or Friday.
Rutgrr

Post by Rutgrr »

The Vallotton is still on my list to buy. I still can't pull the trigger on it. The price tag being the main thing holding me back. Though, I still have many knives on my buy list so that's also another factor.

As for the clip, would a Delica 4 clip fit? The Vallotton clip is too glossy. It needs that stark black clip that the Delica has.
My :spyder:s

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DeathBySnooSnoo

cutter17 wrote:Hey Snoo, tell you what. Email me a shipping address and I will send you the other clip I took off, before putting the new one on the other night. The one I took off is a foldover from the USA knifemaker place, it is thinner of the three left, that I did not link too, but mentioned. It has been done the exact same way as this one. Use it, toss it, whichever way you want to do it, but it will give you an idea, and you may end up liking it! I'll cover it with the #M tape, and send you some extra tape, in case you want to take the original tape off and have the titanium showing. Anyway, let me know, and if you want it I'll get it mailed out tomorrow or Friday.
Wow, very nice of you. I will PM you.
On the hunt for...
cutter17

Post by cutter17 »

Hey, what can I say..........I'm a nice guy!! ;) :)

I've replied to your PM with one of my own. Just let me know!