Ladybug 3 SE as new EDC!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zzero

Ladybug 3 SE as new EDC!

Post by zzero »

I just ordered a new ladybug 3 SE in H1 for EDC. New job requires slacks and working for the state government on a medical student campus requires "tiny". I have an Endura 4 and love it, just needed smaller pocket size version. I looked at the dragonfly II, but it was a touch expensive and I hate using a pocket clip on slacks and in pocket is more discreet anyway. Its going to do double duty as a fishing companion as well, rust free! I hope I get a screw built version, but if its pinned that's fine to.

This is my first H1 and full serrated blade, any tips on care and maintenance? I have a fine tapered diamond rod to use, but I've never sharpened serrations. No time like the present to learn something new.

Any other EDC lady-buggers out there? How do you like them?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Similar situation I carried one as a Sbux barista for about 8 months straight. SE vg10 one. I never got "dull" and serrated H1 will stay sharper longer actually :) . I wouldn't worry much about the sharpening. Depending on technique and equipment it may take a little longer but will hold an edge way longer.

Mine destroyed countless cardboard boxes and plastic bags. The SE trick is to hold the blade downward at a 45 degree angle and line up a serrations on the material, then pull. It doesn't snag as the teeth dig in and cut a clean line.

There are times you will saw or cut traditionally but you can snip off a huge piece of cardboard in one easy pull that way.

Amazing knives and friendly to look at. ;)
Waco

Post by Waco »

I carry one. It's a great little knife. I don't use it lot, though, because I usually have a bigger Spyderco in the other pocket. It's nice for occasions when I'm wearing dress pants and don't want a heavier knife clipped in my pocket. Currently mine is attached to a Maglite Solitaire.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I always have either my H1 SE or my Hawkbill ladybut with me. I tend to use them more than the others I carry.
-John
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

H1 is great, so are the ladybugs. Personaly Im not a fan of edcing serrated blades. I do have an atlantic salt on my turnout gear though. It is sharp as **** great for synthetic material. H1 seriously does not rust, nothing on the knife will.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

You know what is awesome about H1 SE? You don't have to do much at all to take care of it. Touch it up every now and then when it needs it obviously but that shouldn't be too often. Spyderedge knives hold up great and H1 is no exception from my personal experience.

I don't know how you feel about neckers, but I EDC my ladybug in a neck sheath (mine is also H1 but PE )

I absolutely love it as a neck knife. I haven't found any fixed blades that are good neckers for me and the ladybug is so easy to carry this way. Of course just like you said it does slip into the pocket amazingly.

It use to be that I did not understand nor care for the ladybug as I am a guy who likes bigger knives (military, para, manix2 etc.) but the ladybug is just a great little companion knife.

Congrats on scoring yours!!! :D

Here is a shot of mine on its neck rig in case your interested :)
Vic
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I love the Ladybugs, great little knives!
jwingfie

Post by jwingfie »

I lost my only ladybug a few months ago :/

I think it's time to pick another one up. If only I could decide which one to get. SE Hawkbill, ZDP. Hmmmm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

StangBang wrote:You know what is awesome about H1 SE? You don't have to do much at all to take care of it. Touch it up every now and then when it needs it obviously but that shouldn't be too often. Spyderedge knives hold up great and H1 is no exception from my personal experience.

I don't know how you feel about neckers, but I EDC my ladybug in a neck sheath (mine is also H1 but PE )

I absolutely love it as a neck knife. I haven't found any fixed blades that are good neckers for me and the ladybug is so easy to carry this way. Of course just like you said it does slip into the pocket amazingly.

It use to be that I did not understand nor care for the ladybug as I am a guy who likes bigger knives (military, para, manix2 etc.) but the ladybug is just a great little companion knife.

Congrats on scoring yours!!! :D

Here is a shot of mine on its neck rig in case your interested :)
I know what that is ; )....i have no affiliation with this website but wanted to link it considering we talking about H1 and specifically the ladybug sheath.

http://www.countycomm.com/ladybugorange.html

Heres my h1 ladybug next to my bark river psk.

Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
zzero

Post by zzero »

Thanks for all the replies and neck sheath info. :)

It Just arrived today, and wow this thing is nice. I knew it was going to be nice, but there is only so much you expect from a little pocket folder and I'm happy to say its blown my expectation out of the water.

I actually got the plain edge, just found myself wanting it more so I re-ordered. Its also the screw built or "newer" 3rd gen model so I'm pleased about that. I like being able to service or adjust my knives and this has to be the smallest knife I know of with that feature.

Now I just need to try a few lanyard configurations and then I'm looking forward to using it for its first office task, whenever that need arrives. :cool:

Its rather funny seeing it next to my endura 4 on the dresser but here's to :spyder: for making such good products.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome zzero. I always have a ladybug in my pocket (along with others). You can "get away" with carrying it in office settings without a non-knife person giving you the evil eye. I have the ZDP-189 version and have actually never done anything to it except move it from pocket to pocket. I don't use it for hard-core cutting though, but it is a nice feeling knowing that it is there. - However, I am afraid that you have been bbitten by the bbug, zzero.
sonictek

Ladybug EDC'n

Post by sonictek »

A couple months ago I picked up a Byrd Finch as I have bigger hands and wanted to try out the size without paying a lot to do it. I slapped a hangman's noose lanyard on it and have carried it to work ever since. Even sliced up a lobster tail with it in Maine this summer! I just gave my wife a Ladybug3 PE in purple and she loves it - showed it to her NKP best friend (to a lukewarm review) ie. "what do you need that for?" I guess I've rubbed off on her and am proud to say her response was, "because you never know when you're going to need to cut something!" Unfortunately she's a schoool teacher and can't have it on her all the time. Even so, she's going to get an H1 SE Dragonfly in her stocking at Xmas for next summer's trip to Maine. Lobsters - beware!

PS - thx for sheath info, looks interesting. I have a LB3 PE in green and SE Finch coming just 'cuz they're cheap on Azon right now. Could have killed two birds (byrds? lol) with one stone and gotten the LB in SE, but I prefer PE for now and the Byrds are a great value for 'knocking around' kind of work.
BAL

Post by BAL »

sonictek wrote:A couple months ago I picked up a Byrd Finch as I have bigger hands and wanted to try out the size without paying a lot to do it. I slapped a hangman's noose lanyard on it and have carried it to work ever since. Even sliced up a lobster tail with it in Maine this summer! I just gave my wife a Ladybug3 PE in purple and she loves it - showed it to her NKP best friend (to a lukewarm review) ie. "what do you need that for?" I guess I've rubbed off on her and am proud to say her response was, "because you never know when you're going to need to cut something!" Unfortunately she's a schoool teacher and can't have it on her all the time. Even so, she's going to get an H1 SE Dragonfly in her stocking at Xmas for next summer's trip to Maine. Lobsters - beware!

PS - thx for sheath info, looks interesting. I have a LB3 PE in green and SE Finch coming just 'cuz they're cheap on Azon right now. Could have killed two birds (byrds? lol) with one stone and gotten the LB in SE, but I prefer PE for now and the Byrds are a great value for 'knocking around' kind of work.
The Byrd Finch is a not-so-common knife that is actually a quality blade with the G-10 hanlde and similar size to the ladybug. I picked one up at Cabelas for 12 bucks. I use it as a rough-cut version of the ladybug in my farm work rotation. If anyone has a chance to pick one up, I would recommend it, especially for the price. I have dug many splinters, thorns and what-not out of my hands when working.
TrojanDonkey

Post by TrojanDonkey »

I have came to learn that I never need to sharpen my Spyderco serrated edged knives.I just use a leather shoe string with stropping compound to strop the blade. I do that with the bigger SE blades that I use every single day.It keeps them cardboard box cutting sharp for months and months and months. It does not round out the teeth or edges either.It wont be factory sharp but it is fine for work.I messed up an Endura with a diamond rod and ceramic rod. I wanted it sharper -DOH! I have used that knife for learning how to bring the teeth back and resharpen it.I almost have it acceptable again-not tearing boxes or having to saw thru them.I will just stay with stropping if it appears to be getting dull. If that ever quits working I will send it back to the factory with $5 for a sharpening. I have not used my lady bug serrated enough for a stropping yet. No one is scared by a ladybug. I can get my PE ladybug scary sharp with fine ceramic rod. I leave it in my left pocket(loose) with my canteen change. The office Sheeple give me stares-good and bad- when the waved Endura or Spyderhawk comes out to open a bag of chips or crackers so Ladybug being with my change is ideal.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have one, love it, but i upgraded to a ZDP Ladybug and love it that much more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thx for the update :) . Glad it's doing great for ya.