Spyderco Native5 on the Way !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wolverine666

Spyderco Native5 on the Way !

Post by Wolverine666 »

I just ordered a new Spyderco Native5 and I am extremely excited about getting this knife. It is , by far , one of the best looking knives I have laid eyes on in a long time. I never really paid much mind to the Native series (even though they have been one Spyderco's best selling knives for years). I'm not big into FRN handles. But with this new Native5 comes a new G10 handle (and dual skeletonized stainless steel liners) . And a new steel from Crucible : CPM-S35VN. It is essentially a slightly tweaked S30V with the addition of Niobium , Vanadium and Chromium. Makes the blade tougher , improves it's resistance to wear and chipping and gives it improved edge retention. Sounds all good to me. And if it's from Crucible I'm sure it's great.

The Native5 has a back lock (mid-lock back). I haven't had a back lock knife since the late 80's. They've always seemed somewhat antiquated to me. But after reading fantastic testimonies about the Native5 on numerous knife sights and checking out reviews (and a nice informative video from Eric Glesser himself) on YouTube , it looks as though this back lock (and the Native5 as a whole) is completely updated and modernized. This knife screams "quality".

Anyway , I just had to ramble on a bit about how enthused I am about my new acquisition. It's always fun to get a new EDC.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Congrats!
Stony

Post by Stony »

Congats, I have one on the way as well.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Congrats!
Yeah I believe you are the one who put the idea in my head. Thanks pal. :D
Spydesense

Post by Spydesense »

I got mine today...I love it! It is similar to other Natives, but also totally different. Another job well done Spyderco!
My :spyder:'s>> Fluited Titanium Millie, M390 Millie, Brad Southard, Gayle Bradley, Junior, Bushcraft UK, Translucent Blue Manix 2, G10 UKPK, Sage 1, Sage 2, Ti Damascus Delica 4, Orange FFG Endura 4, Gray FFG Endura 4,Native, Blk Dragonfly, H1 Dragonfly 2, Blue Tenacious, Tenacious, H1 Ladybug, White Ladybug, Grasshopper, Honeybee and Bug
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

If those are your comments after ordering it I can't wait to see the report after you get it. :eek: :D Like you I kind of ignored the Native knives until a few months ago. Then I got the lightweight model. I really like it a lot. The Native5 with the added features is bound to be a winner. Especially the G-10 scales. Congrats and I hope it arrives fast. I'm sure you hate waiting as much as I do.

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

You people are killing me...I can't afford to get any knife right now with the whole no job thing getting into its 6th month! And the Native is really one that I want, and the Junior.
On the hunt for...
v8r

Post by v8r »

Got one coming myself. Should be here today or tommorow. Can't wait for the Ti version as well. It would be really cool if they could do a sprint run with a blade grind similar to the original with a swedge grind.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

v8r wrote:Got one coming myself. Should be here today or tommorow. Can't wait for the Ti version as well. It would be really cool if they could do a sprint run with a blade grind similar to the original with a swedge grind.
There's a titanium version coming out ?!?!
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

jackknifeh wrote:If those are your comments after ordering it I can't wait to see the report after you get it. :eek: :D Like you I kind of ignored the Native knives until a few months ago. Then I got the lightweight model. I really like it a lot. The Native5 with the added features is bound to be a winner. Especially the G-10 scales. Congrats and I hope it arrives fast. I'm sure you hate waiting as much as I do.

Jack
Thanks. I was using my Manix 2 for a while but even though I love the knife it was just a bit too big and bulky for EDC. So when I was looking for a new smaller EDC someone on this forum suggested the Native5 and described it as "a little tank". I liked the sound of that and after checking out the Native5 online I was sold. I just broke up with my gf which is somewhat appropriate because now my new Native5 can have her side of the bed :) Can't wait !!!
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

I got one a couple weeks ago, and I can say with certainty that you will really like it. I have a black bladed lightweight (Native 3?), and this is very different from that one. As someone else stated - "it's like a mini-Manix." I agree, but it definitely adds the Native "flair" ...

IMO, it is still one of the best fits in-hand of all the Spydercos.

Thanks again, Sal!
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

On Edge wrote:I got one a couple weeks ago, and I can say with certainty that you will really like it. I have a black bladed lightweight (Native 3?), and this is very different from that one. As someone else stated - "it's like a mini-Manix." I agree, but it definitely adds the Native "flair" ...

IMO, it is still one of the best fits in-hand of all the Spydercos.

Thanks again, Sal!
A "Mini Manix" , I like the sound of that ! It will be nice to have a nice knife with G10 , full dual liners and a nice thick blade (1/8" thick) of Crucible goodness in my pocket that doesn't weigh down my jeans. Thanks for the info. Spyderco 4 life !!!
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Man, this all makes me want the new Native in the worst way. I look forward to some in depth reviews.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

D1omedes wrote:Man, this all makes me want the new Native in the worst way. I look forward to some in depth reviews.
Welcome to my obsession.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that I am going to have to sell some stuff to get this one...the original C95 and C101 are a couple of my all times favorites...so if this comes close, I have to have it!
On the hunt for...
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I think that I am going to have to sell some stuff to get this one...the original C95 and C101 are a couple of my all times favorites...so if this comes close, I have to have it!
That's the spirit ! Sell some stuff ! Seriously , this knife looks to be the ultimate bad *** in your pocket. I better stop praising this knife that I have yet to even hold in my hand or I will jinx us all. But I can't help myself.
bada61265

Post by bada61265 »

really miss the swedge, made the native a native. also miss the price at double what the old native cost i dont think this is a value knife like the older version was. really you can get the sage2 for the same price, cheaper to get a millie para2 sage1 or 3, gayle bradley, and on and on.
my knives:
kershaw Leek Buck 119 Cold Steel Recon tanto
Cold Steel Ti Lite VI ,
Spyderco: Tenacious ,Persistence, Endura 4 blue Stretch zdp blue, Manix 2 ,Native s30v . Sage2 titanium, Gayle Bradly cpm m4, Muleteam mt 10, woodcraft mule s30v. Orange Delica 4
Bark River PSK 154cm, Gunny, Bravo 2, Canadian Special
raven

Post by raven »

Indeed...this is an Awesome spydie ;) :cool: ...

Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

raven wrote:Indeed...this is an Awesome spydie ;) :cool: ...

Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
Awesome !!! That pic is getting me more excited.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

bada61265 wrote:really miss the swedge, made the native a native. also miss the price at double what the old native cost i dont think this is a value knife like the older version was. really you can get the sage2 for the same price, cheaper to get a millie para2 sage1 or 3, gayle bradley, and on and on.
This is an "upgraded" Native. Better steel , G10 handle and updated lock. You go stick with the Native Lightweight if you want value. I want quality and high grade materials. So the Native5 is my pick. The Sage Series is in the same category. High end EDC knives. They are all awesome. But this new Native5 has just caught my eye and won't let go. Those other knives you mentioned are all fine too. But what's wrong with an upscale Native for a similar price ? I think the Native has earned a "premium" version. And I can't wait to get mine.