Spyderco Edge Angle Guide

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
campfiredude

Spyderco Edge Angle Guide

Post by campfiredude »

Hey Spyderco,

Are you ever going to make more of the "Spyderco Edge Angle Guides?" I hope you do. When I found out about them they were already discontinued but I want one.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I was around when they were sold, but they disappeared much quicker than I had imagined they would, so missed out as well.

Welcome to the forums!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

You can always do something with a protractor and paper... although the durability can be.. questioned.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wish i had picked up one when they were available. I was under the impression that it was a trial run to gauge interest and then go from there as far as selling them...i'd say with how they sold out, that should be a decent indication that people will buy them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rhiney

Post by Rhiney »

I missed out too. I've been looking at this while I wait to tide me over:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... at=1,43072
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that i like this one the best. http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/richard_kell.htm
On the hunt for...
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Evil D wrote:i'd say with how they sold out, that should be a decent indication that people will buy them.
I don't think so. As Spyderco fans on a Spyderco forum, our tastes and interests don't always accurately represent what the populace at large would like.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I recall the response was pretty neutral, no one sang their praise. Personally I found them useful in some situations such as gauging factory edge angle, but of limited use otherwise since it cannot measure very small edge bevels I like to use.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

jzmtl wrote:I recall the response was pretty neutral, no one sang their praise. Personally I found them useful in some situations such as gauging factory edge angle, but of limited use otherwise since it cannot measure very small edge bevels I like to use.
Thats why I like the one in my post above...goes down to 15 degrees inclusive.
On the hunt for...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Jay_Ev wrote:I don't think so. As Spyderco fans on a Spyderco forum, our tastes and interests don't always accurately represent what the populace at large would like.
Ten ring!!!!! - for better and for worse. :) :spyder:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Rhiney wrote:I missed out too. I've been looking at this while I wait to tide me over:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... at=1,43072
Rhiney, the guage you have pictured I think would be COMPLETELY useless for a pocket knife. The hole at the bottom of the groove is too large. Most knife edges would go far below the straight sides of the grove. One thing that is essential in a gague like this is the side grooves need to stay straight as low as possible for a pocket knive because the bevels can be very small. Please don’t buy this for knives. For chisels like the one pictured it would be fine for because the bevel area is so large. Also, there aren't very many different angles.

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I think that i like this one the best. http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/richard_kell.htm
Same with this one about the round hole at the bottom of each groove. I'd recommend not buying it.

The Spyderco gauge is nice but if they make more there could be a couple of modifications. 1. Make the hole in the bottom even smaller than the original model. The smaller the better or even no hole at all. We would just need to be careful not to press the edge down too hard and putting a tiny ding in the edge. 2. Provide more grooves, 2 degree increments would be nice.

I bought one of these gauges and they do work. It's a nice tool for the price. I sold mine to someone who needed it more because my sharpener will tell me what angle is on an edge when I sharpen a knife. In fact I've used it to determine the angle on brand new Spyderco knives right out of the box. If your sharpener won't do that the Spyderco edge angle guide is nice to have. I hope that if they do make more they ask for specific opinions of people who use it for modification ideas. Another idea I had was to have a small base to sit the gauge in. Then you could sit the blade edge in a groove and rest the handle on the table. Now, you could use your two hands to hold the flashlight and magnifying glass you will need if your eyes aren't any better than mine.

Jack
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Campfiredude,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

At this time, we have no plans to produce the edge angle guide.

sal
unit

Post by unit »

I have come full circle on these.

When I got mine, I did a review on it and found myself asking the question, "what are MOST people going to do with this?" I still think that is the problem. MOST people have no idea what this is for, and even MOST knife people really have no more than a trivial need for such a device.

No offense to anything or anyone, I just think the above reasons are why few would sell in the future.

In the initial run, they were very inexpensive and perhaps every "collector" of things Spyderco snapped them up. Of those, I wonder how many really get used?

Anyway, I do find it useful when I receive a new knife from a custom builder...but the truth is, I satisfy a curiosity and then the gauge goes back to bed.

I think it was a really cool thing for Spyderco to produce for us, but I question the profitability of future endeavors in this arena. People with SERIOUS needs should look into a laser goniometer. They are not as costly as some might think...and if 120 bucks is too much, you really do not "need" one.

http://www.catra.org/pages/products/kni ... 1/lkep.htm
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

jabba359 wrote:I was around when they were sold, but they disappeared much quicker than I had imagined they would, so missed out as well.
+1

IIRC, they were gone in little more than a couple of days …

Really sorry I missed out on this one.

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

unit wrote:
I think it was a really cool thing for Spyderco to produce for us, but I question the profitability of future endeavors in this arena. People with SERIOUS needs should look into a laser goniometer. They are not as costly as some might think...and if 120 bucks is too much, you really do not "need" one.

http://www.catra.org/pages/products/kni ... 1/lkep.htm
I've done some preliminary tests and I think you can build an okay one with a $10 laser pointer, haven't had time to actually make one though.
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

jackknifeh wrote:I sold mine to someone who needed it more because my sharpener will tell me what angle is on an edge when I sharpen a knife. In fact I've used it to determine the angle on brand new Spyderco knives right out of the box. If your sharpener won't do that the Spyderco edge angle guide is nice to have.
Curious, what kind of sharpener do you use?
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

jzmtl wrote:I've done some preliminary tests and I think you can build an okay one with a $10 laser pointer, haven't had time to actually make one though.
Mind posting up how one would do that? I'd imagine the laser... some sort of circle.... but how to hold the blade dead on... unless you let the laser guide you... which would basically make a paper circle with a hole for the laser?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I'd like to see them produced again, even if they wouldn't be flying off the shelves. I don't know if Spyderco sold all of the previous run quickly, or if they had trouble getting rid of them. Either way, I agree with Ken that the VAST majority of knife users would not use one. But for those of us into (read: obsessed with) fine edges or all things Spyderco, it would be nice to have. I can't imagine that they would be terribly expensive to produce once the laser was all set up. Marketing them, , or justifying the use of a machine to produce them instead of critical parts for other, more profitable knives, , well maybe that where the expense comes in. Either way, I'm bummed that I missed out on them when they were available.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Minibear453 wrote:Mind posting up how one would do that? I'd imagine the laser... some sort of circle.... but how to hold the blade dead on... unless you let the laser guide you... which would basically make a paper circle with a hole for the laser?
Basically draw a circle on a board with degrees marked, point the laser toward the center, let it strike the very knife edge right at center of circle, and read reflections. I have a few ideas on implementation, but haven't had the time to work on them.
SQSAR wrote:I'd like to see them produced again, even if they wouldn't be flying off the shelves. I don't know if Spyderco sold all of the previous run quickly, or if they had trouble getting rid of them. Either way, I agree with Ken that the VAST majority of knife users would not use one. But for those of us into (read: obsessed with) fine edges or all things Spyderco, it would be nice to have. I can't imagine that they would be terribly expensive to produce once the laser was all set up. Marketing them, , or justifying the use of a machine to produce them instead of critical parts for other, more profitable knives, , well maybe that where the expense comes in. Either way, I'm bummed that I missed out on them when they were available.
I was under the impression spyderco sold them either at or below cost to test the water, so if they were to be put in production the price would be higher, much higher if it's just a tiny run as you suggested.