MT12P Cru-Wear Mule Team Recall - Answers

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

MT12P Cru-Wear Mule Team Recall - Answers

Post by TazKristi »

There has been a lot of discussion and questions about the recently announced recall of the MT12P Mule Team with Cru-Wear. I'm hoping to answer at least a majority of your questions here.

Once your MT12P is returned to SFO you will be issued a refund (*edited wording from "credit" to "refund" for clarity) for your original purchase. When the MT12P is re-released, you will need to place a new order.

Please return your MT12P to the following address:

Spyderco
Attn: SFO/MT12 Recall
820 Spyderco Way
Golden, CO 80403
USA

Will Spyderco pay for my shipping costs to send the MT12P back?
Yes, you can either include a receipt for the shipping cost and SFO will issue you a refund (*edited wording from "credit" to "refund" for clarity) or if your order was shipped to you via UPS, contact SFO and they will issue a call tag.

What if I already put scales on my MT12P?
Scales will need to be removed for re-heat treating.

Will I receive my same MT12P back?
We're sorry to say, no. The process will be done in a batch, just like regular production. We will be unable to guarantee that you'll receive the same knife (knives) that you returned.

I've customized my MT12P, will someone else receive mine?
No, knives received back from this recall that have been customized (sanding, jimping, etc.) will not be re-released into the market as re-heat treated knives.

Is there a deadline for the recall?
Yes, due to the batch process we are asking that your MT12P be returned to us no later than 14-Oct-2011.

How long will it be before the MT12P is re-released?
Allowing time for all knives to be returned, batched and processed, we would estimate a re-release sometime in Dec/Jan. To reiterate, once your MT12P is returned to SFO you will be issued a refund (*edited wording from "credit" to "refund" for clarity) for your original purchase. When the MT12P is re-released, you will need to place a new order.

Will you guarantee that the re-heat treating process will work?
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that. What we can guarantee is that we will thoroughly test the MT12P after re-heat treating prior to any re-release. This is kind of a "we'll cross that bridge when and if we get to it."

I'm sure there are other questions that I have not addressed. Some questions will need to be answered on a case-by-case basis. If your question hasn't been answered here, please contact SFO at 800/525-7770 x 107 or via e-mail at sfo@spyderco.com.

As with all things Spyderco, we will make this right.

Thanks for your interest in the Mule Team and for your continued support!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
TheNeedyCat

Post by TheNeedyCat »

what exactly was the problem?
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Failed heat treat, The steel was nou up to spec- But WOW, This is why I keep coming back to spyderco- They're so upfront about any mistakes :D
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

You all define "stand up company." Big thumbs-up. :spyder:
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Spyderco shines brightest when things go wrong. How many other companies can you say the same about? Amazing.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

Thank you Kristi this was the exact thread I was hoping to see. You never cease to amazing me. I'll send mine out tomorrow.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

To be honest I would just consider the MT12 a wash. We wont know if the steel is at the spec it should be even after the Re-Heat Treat, so how are we supposed to compare it fairly to other steels? (wasnt that the point of the mule team project?)

Knowing that the re-ht might not work, I know I wont be buying any Cru Ware any time soon. Spyderco should just cut its losses on this one...

Im looking forward to the MT13, I consider this one a loss. I say recall these, dump 'em, and start turnin out some in S110v :D
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

DCDesigns wrote:To be honest I would just consider the MT12 a wash. We wont know if the steel is at the spec it should be even after the Re-Heat Treat, so how are we supposed to compare it fairly to other steels? (wasnt that the point of the mule team project?)

Knowing that the re-ht might not work, I know I wont be buying any Cru Ware any time soon. Spyderco should just cut its losses on this one...

Im looking forward to the MT13, I consider this one a loss. I say recall these, dump 'em, and start turnin out some in S110v :D
I'm pretty sure the retreated blades would be going through some serious testing before re-release. There's no reason to write off an entire run of mules when the science behind it is solid. The bad heat treat is probably due to some human error in the process. And I think dealing with mistakes like this is also an important part of the Mule project. Unless there's a problem with the metal composition, they're not beyond repair.
Dan (dsmegst)

Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Thanks, Kristi. Mine will be in the mail tomorrow.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Once the blades are redone they will be fine for sure. :)

Sal and Eric will make sure they are.
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

I am "very" impressed with Spyderco!

I shipped my two MT12 on Sat, and today they were received. Not only did I get an email with the refund information, but they refund my shipping costs back, and on top of that, somebody at Spyderco also called me at home and left a detailed message (pretty much a shorter version of Kristi's first post in this thread) as well.

That is outstanding customer support :D
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

If I send my collector mule in, will I get a numbered one back?
Coll. #42
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Thanks for the info Kristi.
Come Join Us Click Here
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Thank you, Spyderco never ceases to amaze me!
butch

Post by butch »

i hav eot wander if it was over harness or under hardness spec.

maybe a swap to PD1 woudl be an option (im getting ready to test a bit of it myself
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

freeman7 wrote:If I send my collector mule in, will I get a numbered one back?
Coll. #42
Yes, you will. ;)
There is nothing more important than this one day.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Thanks for the reply Kristi, I'll get it in the mail ASAP.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I finally got my 2 boxed up and sent last Friday, hopefully they get to Spyderco before they send the bactch back for heat treatment after the 14th.

I sent them insured, but didn't pay extra for delivery confirmation, I assume Spyderco will credit my card once they receive them back? I did put a copy of my initial invoice in the box so they know who sent it to them :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
guidosst

Post by guidosst »

I just got back home from a business trip, mine will be heading back today, I hope they get there in time!
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

TazKristi wrote:...What we can guarantee is that we will thoroughly test the MT12P after re-heat treating prior to any re-release.
Why this was not done first time?

It can save time and money for customers working on that knife and your effort on recall.
I am not quite happy to know that you did not test it on the first place and I waste my time
making handle and testing on this one:

http://nozh2002.blogspot.com/2011/10/sp ... steel.html

In general it is good idea to test your product before releasing it to the market.