Any Tuff updates?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Any Tuff updates?

Post by Zatx »

As we move into the later part of the year I'm wondering if Sal or anyone else can give us an update on the Tuff.

I believe the last information we received at the begging of summer was that the knife is complete in every regard but the texture of the scales.

Are we still on track for a release before the end of the year?

Thank you.
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I think the latest news was early part of next year. I can't dig up any posts on that though.
jossta

Post by jossta »

This is what I remember also.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

All I know is it's tuff waiting for this one.

Yeah, let's go ahead and get the puns going... :D
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yo it's gonna be Tuff getting money together to buy a Yojimbo 2 and a Tuff during the holidays.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

After I did a post explaining why it wouldn't be out until next year, Sal replied that it might be shipping by the end of 2012. I haven't seen any other comments from anyone in the know since then.

add> that should have said the end of 2011.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I hope you mean the end of 2011. :eek:
:bug-red-white
jossta

Post by jossta »

I hope he meant the end of 2012. I have too much coming up already :) .
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Pardon me, but what is the tuff?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Minibear453 wrote:Pardon me, but what is the tuff?
Mr. Blonde's pictures and impressions: http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... tcount=206
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Duh, yeah, Sal wrote that the Tuff might be out by the end of this year, 2011.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Sal wrote that he was HOPEFUL for the end of this year. realisticly this is a 2012 release. I myself am SUPER excited about this knife.... i plan to buy 2 and put 1 throug a battery of tests to see exactley how TUFF this knife is! the only dissapointing factor is that there has been a more refined version of 3v released by carpenter in the form of PD-1 that i plan to try at some point... could very well be a cool sprint run in the tuff :D . 3v has the problem that once it rusts it pits really badly...only downside. other than that it is well over twice the toughness of cpm m4 with slightly under s30v edge retention. resisting deformation to bending and breakage to impact. this is a blade steel that when you think most knives cant.... this one can :D
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

The molybdenum salt in Tuff-Glide will protect it. Apply it frequently and your blade will be just fine.
cutter17

Post by cutter17 »

I love the look of this knife, with one exception, and it is a personal thing. I just don't like having titanium on one side, and G-10 on the other. I just don't like it, and the few I've purchased have quickly been sold. That is the reason that I don't care for the new ZT's, Hinderer models coming out, just can't get behind that construction method.

With that said, the Tuff could be the exception. I will purchase one to see how I like it. I do like how the titanium scale has been done with the surface, and with the steel insert on the lock. My ti Military has the same insert and it has worked wonderfully, locking up on one spot and not moving since I bought it.

Construction like the PPT would certaintly sell me on the Tuff in a heartbeat! But please remember, this is just a personal thing I have with the construction method, and not a jab at Spyderco.

Post by 1623 »

cutter17 wrote:I love the look of this knife, with one exception, and it is a personal thing. I just don't like having titanium on one side, and G-10 on the other. I just don't like it, and the few I've purchased have quickly been sold. That is the reason that I don't care for the new ZT's, Hinderer models coming out, just can't get behind that construction method.

With that said, the Tuff could be the exception. I will purchase one to see how I like it. I do like how the titanium scale has been done with the surface, and with the steel insert on the lock. My ti Military has the same insert and it has worked wonderfully, locking up on one spot and not moving since I bought it.

Construction like the PPT would certaintly sell me on the Tuff in a heartbeat! But please remember, this is just a personal thing I have with the construction method, and not a jab at Spyderco.
I'm not a fan of 50/50 scales either, but this knife has a certain quality about it that I really dig.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

50/50 is my absolute favorite, but to each their own
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Bump for new information?
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
jossta

Post by jossta »

Nothing new AFAIK.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

Any idea on the blade length? I want to be excited about the Tuff, and I do like the blade and 50/50 scales, but I will be really disappointed if the blade is not in the 4" range.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Onionman wrote:Any idea on the blade length? I want to be excited about the Tuff, and I do like the blade and 50/50 scales, but I will be really disappointed if the blade is not in the 4" range.
I seem to recall reading it was in that neighborhood. Of course, you're gonna lose some edge with that choil.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David