The Warrior Parent - Part 1: NPE Weapons

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
G-Solutions

The Warrior Parent - Part 1: NPE Weapons

Post by G-Solutions »

By Uli Gebhard, Suarez International Staff Instructor

A day and a half into the new school year I saw a forum post of one of my students: His son had just started Kindergarten in Hermosa Beach, CA and at the end of the first day, a guy blends in with the parents who are picking up their kids. He calls one of the little boys over by his name and starts talking to him. Keep in mind that most kids have their name on all their stuff so that it won’t get lost. Thankfully, the teachers realized very soon that something was wrong when none of them recognized the man. As soon as they began approaching him, he ran.

Our kids had started school one week earlier and my student’s post was a grim reminder to be alert and ready to take action if someone were to be a threat to them.

When it comes to our children, we are their first line of defense. We do not have the luxury to evade and wait for the threat to subside or for someone to come to our aid. When we are with our kids, we are what stands between them and the threat. In school their teachers and school staff are responsible for their safety, but it is up to us parents to determine if the school itself has adequate procedures in place. Do the kids stay in the classroom until their parents pick them up, are there enough teachers and assistants around to make sure all kids are accounted for at all times? These are basic questions that will provide some insight into the security measures of the school.

How about the security we can provide for them when we take them to and from school? Let’s start with the most basic measure: Awareness.

Awareness

Walk onto any playground in your area and take a look at the parents: Some will play with their kids, some will stand on the side watching them play and then there are the texters and talkers – those parents who cannot stay off their phone or who are so addicted to facebook and similar sites that they have their eyes glued to the screen for the majority of the time. What these guys do is to provide an opportunity for someone to approach a child and lure him or her away. By the time the parent looks up, they need to scan around where little Tommy has ran to. I believe you get the picture.

Think of yourself as your child’s protective detail. It’s your job to keep your eyes open so that you know where they are and what is around them. I have three kids under the age of nine. I’d be the last one to tell you that this is an easy task. On the contrary: Many times I have to convince one of them to play in a different area, where the other two siblings are. And while I would like to be right in the middle, where I can get to each of them quickly, I rather stand over to the side where I can see all three and the area around them.

Some kids are very alert and will often tell you if something feels out of place for them. Kids usually have good instincts – if they have a concern, it should be something for the parent to be aware of.

As long as you can see what is around you, you can intervene if something does not seem right, just as the teachers did in the example above. In this case, just approaching a suspicious person was sufficient to cause him to flee. While this is a good outcome, this could easily have turned ugly. If the person has a tendency to violence, he may choose fight over flight. Let’s keep this example within the vicinity of a school. Many states declare schools and areas around them (e.g. 1000 feet in CA) as gun free zones. It would be nice if criminals stuck to the laws – in fact, that would end their criminal careers right there – but they have the ugly habit to break the law.
Unless living in a state such as Utah that allows on-campus carry, it this means for the law-abiding parent that our most effective defensive tool will not be legally available when taking your child to school or picking him up.

Some may say “concealed is concealed” – that would be a choice that they make including acceptance of possible consequences. This be as it may – let’s keep our focus on the legally available defensive tools.

Legal to carry in most areas when you pick your child up at school: folding knife, tactical pen, tactical flashlight, pepperspray

- Irritating Agents
- Tasers
- (Improvised) Impact Weapons
- Edged Weapons

Pepperspray

A lot of people ask me about pepperspray, CS gas and the like. It can give an attacker something to alter his perspective on the fight and provide you with an opportunity to render him harmless and get yourself and yours to safety. If it hits the perpetrator in the face and does what the label says, so much the better. The challenge with pepperspray is that many people see it as the one-thing-cures-all approach. What they overlook, is that they themselves will have issues if wind blows it back into their face or if those they want to protect get a dose of it. Used indoors chances are that many people surrounding the confrontation will be affected by it. This can make additional combatives or evasion difficult.

Various Pepperspray sizes, from the keychain size to palm-filling: The smaller ones can easily be carried in your pocket.

Personally, I see pepperspray and the like as a tool against dogs and as a fight-opener for two-legged vermin that is best used outdoors. I would keep it concealed, such as palming the can, surprise the attacker with a good taste of it and immediately follow up with combatives or improvised/edged weapons while he is preoccupied at best or mildly distracted at worst.

Again, used in school-pickup environment, chances are high that not only the perpetrator will get hit. This is something to consider when you devise your strategy.

Tasers

Tasers are becoming popular here in CA. I know several people who carry them in lieu to a firearm since Sheriffs such as Lee Baca in Los Angeles and Sandra Hutchens in Orange County have decided that “personal protection” is not a sufficient “good cause” to grant a CCW.

A Glock 19 disappears in Appenix carry - with an untucked shirt a taser such as this C2 will be invisible.

The basic idea of the taser is good. It works at distance from a dangerous person and –given the device works as advertised- will allow incapacitating an attacker. I have no personal experience with tasers. The idea of a single-shot weapon used on a moving target within fifteen feet max range is not something I’m terribly comfortable with. I also heard mixed reports about the effects of tasers. In the vast majority of cases they seem to work outstandingly well, instantly taking the bad guy out of the fight. However, there have been a number of instances where the effect was minimal and/or the bad guy ripped the electrode darts out of his clothing and continued to fight.
If that happens, the taser can still be used with contact electrodes, but this has two disadvantages: Without the darts, the taser is in drive stun mode, which causes pain, but does not have the neuro-muscular incapacitation (MNI). You also have to consider that you are now facing a person that knows what weapon you have. Chances are that his first objective will be to either trap the taser or to take it away from you.
This may eliminate the option to access a backup weapon. Again, tasers seem to work the majority of the time, but you need to have a backup plan in case things go South, such as the taser not showing effect or one or both of the electrode darts missing their target.

Improvised Weapons

Improvised/impact weapons have one severe disadvantage: they are contact weapons and you have to be within arm’s reach of an attacker to use them. Their advantage is that they can be kept ready without raising suspicion. A tactical pen or flashlight can be in your hand without raising any red flags; after all, you’re just signing a form for your youngster or reminding the cub scouts in your son’s class that a night hike is coming up.

Kubotan, tactical pens and tactical flashlights - note that the pens do not have to look tacticool at all.

These weapons can be immediately available to you to dish out a couple of hard-hitting blows. Ladies – you do not have to be a UFC-style fighter to cause some effect with these tools. SI-instructor Corinna Coplin has some outstanding advice on fighting mindset and techniques specifically for women.

The key point with improvised weapons is that they are just that – improvised. They provide a tool that you can use to gain the advantage in an altercation. You can force an opponent to react to you. In other words, these weapons can open the door for you to take the initiative. Once you are at this point, it’s time to follow through and take the attacker out of the fight. This can be taking his mobility with either combatives, or an edged weapon, it can be as simple as shoving him into a room and locking him in.

[continued below]
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

MBC Study Group Leader Southern CA

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

Knives

Knives are excellent defensive tools and there is an abundance of good quality affordable blades out there. My personal favorites are the Spyderco Endura and Delica

Folding knives with a blade length of 3” or less are legal to carry in the vast majority of places. The blade length may not seem like much, but it will reach down to all critical tendons, muscles, blood vessels and nerves in your opponent’s arms, legs and neck. A 3” - 4" blade used decisively in the right spot will take an attacker out of the fight, either by taking his ability to wield a weapon or by killing his mobility. So far for the good news. The bad news is that a knife is a contact weapon. It is also, other than all previous options, considered a lethal weapon, which changes the legal ramifications that are likely to follow. There is a lot of material out there advising extreme caution and considering all the possible consequences for your life before resorting to lethal force.

Folks, you have to ask yourself is this: would you rather bury a loved one because you hesitated while deliberating laws or would you rather have that person by your side when the legal battles begin? There are a lot of things one can do to build legal protection. Discussing all of them would go beyond the scope of this article. The one that I want to point out is seeking training with the weapon(s) of your choice. If you are competent and confident with it, your chances to prevail are greatly improved. In case of a legal battle, it shows that you take your responsibilities very seriously. If you train to use a knife as introduced in this article, you are using it to incapacitate the attacker and not with the intent to kill.

All the hardware that we discussed here is just one part of the equation. Awareness is another key factor as is your overall mindset and strategy. There are a lot of aspects to consider. I will cover this topic in a follow-up article.

The incident in Hermosa Beach ended before things could turn ugly. Had the guy been cornered, the outcome may very well have been messy. One may argue that the likelihood of this happening to you is minuscule – so is the chance of getting into a five-car car accident if you are a responsible driver.

You still have insurance – and that’s just for a piece of equipment that can be replaced.

Uli Gebhard is Suarez International Staff Instructor in the Los Angeles Area and Martial Blade Concepts authorized trainer. He lives with his family in Orange County, California
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Good Stuff!!!...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

It would be nice if criminals stuck to the laws – in fact, that would end their criminal careers right there – but they have the ugly habit to break the law.
Amen to that!
In case of a legal battle, it shows that you take your responsibilities very seriously. If you train to use a knife as introduced in this article, you are using it to incapacitate the attacker and not with the intent to kill.
This is incredibly interesting. It completely throws off my point of view where taking the additional time to train with knives could get you in trouble if you end up applying it to a SD scenario.

Awesome article. I have most definitely learned a few things in this. I can't imagine what one class would do.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Hello G, that was a good informative article! ;)
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

Thank you very much for your feedback.

This encourages me just the more to complete the subsequent articles.

As far as the knife skills and improvised weapons go, I've got to give full credit to Michael Janich and his outstanding training. It has turned my carry knives from an emergency backup option if need be into a primary defensive tool that I have a high level of confidence in.
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great read :) . Do note that many (if not all) of those items when carried on most school campuses go from tool to weapon. Similar to trying to carry a tactical pen on to a plane or a small pocket knife into a federal building.

Things designed as fistloads, like kubotans, are also often not tolerated by local laws at all. Sadly a "to the limit" pocket knife or gun with a CWP will get you in less trouble. I guess lawmakers prefer to see eviscerated perps than ones retained with primitive blunt tools. :confused:

Not trying to be a buzzkill. Like I said, good write-up. I just like avoiding the law when it's actively seeking you out. Schools are one of those places.

A flashlight, cane, or umbrella would likely be allowed though. In Cali I believe the limit on OC is 2oz which is a mighty big can for your pocket.
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

Blerv,

thank you for your feedback. The limit for CA on Pepperspray is 2.5 ox.

Also, I stand corrected on the knife issue: CA Section 626.10 (a) limits the length of a knife carried onto school grounds to 2.5"- and the knife cannot be of a locking blade design... :mad:

Well, flashlight, mechanical pencil and keychain-type pepperspray it is for picking up the kids....
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

G-Solutions wrote:Blerv,
Also, I stand corrected on the knife issue: CA Section 626.10 (a) limits the length of a knife carried onto school grounds to 2.5"- and the knife cannot be of a locking blade design... :mad:

Well, flashlight, mechanical pencil and keychain-type pepperspray it is for picking up the kids....
Which is why the La Griffe and Swick series of knives are great for non-permissive environments. Looking at a knife law website, these knives would be legal in pretty much the entire PRK. Get a nice pocket sheath and you can easily call them a "pocket knife".
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the corrections as well! I don't like generalizing and really appreciate the specifics.

As mentioned, I really enjoyed the read. Great vibe, concerned and conservative for the subject material (most go big on ego).

Cheers friend.
BAL

Post by BAL »

G-Solutions - That's an awesome thread. Thank you for taking the time to write it. We all need a reminder and a chance to think about these things. I try to keep myself aware of the surroundings at all times especially at my son's school. I abide by the laws, but don't feel comfortable leaving my Glock in the truck when I go into the school area. I always think of the bad stories that we all hear on the news. I have a spyderco or two on me at all times, but still feel naked. Thanks again.
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

BAL,

thank you for your kind words. Staying aware of your surrounding with one or more kids can be hard. I just got back from a cub scout meeting with a whole bunch of 6-8 year olds going five directions at once... :eek:

I have a follow-up article in the works, about awareness, strategies and such. Hope to get it out by mid-month.
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com