Best Spyderco for Moose: not for the squeemish

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
arty

Post by arty »

Is this the VG10 flavor?
I have had moose burgers (tourist at a Pow Wow years ago), and the meat was a bit dry and lean. I would guess that it is good for you, since it is low in fat.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

congrats!!

I would like to try a catcherman with its thin blade and upsweep point for field dressing and quartering
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

Great post- congrats on the kill. I always eat what I shoot. Meat tastes much better when you've put it on the table!

You've reminded me- I must use the photos and vids of my deer-processing with spydies, including a side by side Stretch ZDP189 and an endura VG10.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
North61

Post by North61 »

arty wrote:Is this the VG10 flavor?
I have had moose burgers (tourist at a Pow Wow years ago), and the meat was a bit dry and lean. I would guess that it is good for you, since it is low in fat.
Yup it's VG10. I have to admit I lose some of the health benifit by mixing my moose ground with ground pork.....often of the bacon variety.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm curious what your sharpening technique is and what your opinion is of VG10 for processing such a large animal. Do you have to sharpen half way through or does it stay sharp start to finish? Did you use only this knife?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
North61

Post by North61 »

Evil D wrote:I'm curious what your sharpening technique is and what your opinion is of VG10 for processing such a large animal. Do you have to sharpen half way through or does it stay sharp start to finish? Did you use only this knife?

It won't dull too badly if it's sharp to begin with. The moose fur has grit in it which is a bit of a test. I usually don't need to sharpen the Impala,nor the ATS34 Wegner but a few swipes of a steel will straighten the edge and get you through the moose. I do take a fine diamond hone just in case but it usually is unnecessary.

On this moose my friend used a Grohmann large skinner and did at least half the work. I used a Bladetech prohunter JR for some fine cuts.

I use the sharpmaker and a strop at home.
North61

Post by North61 »

dbcad wrote:Wish you good eathing North61. Appreciate your reviews :)
Thanks kindly.... and thanks for reading. One more picture if You'll indulge me. My son 8 is learning all kinds of spydie skills. Here he is with my partner. Gotta learn em young

swanseajack

Post by swanseajack »

Great review, now I'm hungry 8>)
I've eaten Moose/Elk in Norway (had a girl friend there) excellent meat, my favourite...
JT

Post by JT »

Great info, thanks!

The elk hunting season starts on saturday here, and I'm prepared to test my A.T.R, my Pac Salt and one of the ZDP-ones on skinning the elk. I'm interested to see how the blades hold up. My money is on the ZDP so far. but I do have high hopes on the Pacific Salt too. I've sharpened the Pac many times, and it seems to hold the edge longer now.

I dig the elk/pork mix too, bacon adds some nice fatness and juice to the flavour :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
North61

Post by North61 »

Got finished cutting up the meat last night. 12 hours all told and we now have lots of steaks, roasts, stewing meat and burger. Likely no need to buy meat for the rest of the year now. Might go caribou hunting in November to add some variety. Good luck on your elk!
Visual Articulation

Post by Visual Articulation »

Great review ! Thank you now i want some moose Chilli !!!
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

****, that's a big dude (and of course, an equally big haul)! I apologize if someone already asked, but where did you bag this guy? I go camping each year on Moosehead Lake in Greenville/Kokadjo, Maine. We've seen some enormous moose up there over the years. Enormous.

PS: Nice review on the knife! Enjoy those moose ribs!
North61

Post by North61 »

I live in Whitehorse, Yukon. This young bull was taken within 130km of my front door. (Gotta keep our exact spots a bit secret)
Water_Gremlin

Post by Water_Gremlin »

Nice moose North!! How wide were the antlers, how many brow tines? I bet is going to be a tasty bull.

I wanted to test my Pacific Salt on a moose this year but accidentally dropped it in a tundra bog on the way to my buddies moose. I think the Persian would make a fine critter skinner.
syphen

Post by syphen »

Good job with your son! Your right when you say you have to start them young, otherwise they learn some wierd long stake boarded hippy-bieber peta ways...

Caribou though.. you must be from Canada!!! I'm from Southern Ontario, and we see Moose, Deer & Bear at the hunt camp, never caribou, and its pretty far north! You gotta be a ways up there for that! Congrats on that. I'm jealous.
Too many Spydies to list!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

dd61999 wrote:congrats!!

I would like to try a catcherman with its thin blade and upsweep point for field dressing and quartering
I've used it for reindeer and it works very well. Once the skinning is done it is almost perfect.

Considering trying my Hossom Dayhiker on my next reindeer since the blade looks great for skinning.

PS! Great knife review!
PPS! Considered trying my wife's Ocelot, but getting blood etc. out of the paw prints is a pita...
North61

Post by North61 »

No Fair..The Ocelot is a great..great caribou knife. We have a little steam cleaner that cleans it right up. I think the blade shape might make it the best Tim Wegner derivative of them all. A pressure washer also does the trick...clean the knife at the same time as you clean the truck.

I have used mine on a number of caribou and it still looks like new.
North61

Post by North61 »

One last thing about the Impala. It is designed to be really easy to clean. It has an open back and you can actually see between the scales (edge wise) when the blade is open. Water gets right in and cleans it out easily. Very well thought out folding hunter. Nothing else quite like it.

Bring it back Sal!
TheNeedyCat

Post by TheNeedyCat »

ever tried moose jerky? i love it you should make some :D mmmmm.....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was thinking the other day that a Captain would make a really nice skinner with the way the tip is shaped. Having the recurve/hawkbill section at the bottom would be nice for pull cuts too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David