delica for a native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BJEOD

delica for a native?

Post by BJEOD »

hey guys,

I have a buddy that has an extra native. He has a buddy with an extra delica, me. We have been talkin trade. For those of you with both, is this a good deal for both parties? I've never had a native, what are the positive things about this knife? What are the negatives? Would you make the trade? They are both slightly used.
"I'd rather get blown up than look stupid."
- One of the greats

:spyder:para 2 digital, gayle bradley, BD1 UKPK, Manix 2, Millie x2, Delica 4 green, Delica 4 SS, Progrip lightweight, Ladybug 1 x2:spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MSRP is almost the same, so from that standpoint a trade would be fair to both parties. Beyond that, it's a question of whether you want one more than the other. For a user, I'd take the Native, because of the choil. Others, I'm sure, would prefer the Delica.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sounds like a very reasonable trade.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I got a Native a couple of months ago. I like the choils on the Native better than the Delica handle but the Delica handle is very comfortable. I think the Native would be a tiny bit better at piercing because on the Delica4 the spine curves down right at the tip. I don't know if it makes enough difference to matter but I mentioned it anyway. The blade on the Native is thinner behind the edge than the Delica. My Delica is FFG but right at the edge it is thicker than the hollow grind Native blade.

If I had two Delica's and no Native's I'd definately trade. I had a similar thing happen to me recently. I had two Manix2's (different models) and didnt' have a Gayle Bradley. Someone wanted one of my Manix2 knives and we traded. He said the GB was a great knife but it just didn't fit his hand that well so he didn't carry it much. We are both very happy with the trade.

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

This probably depends on which Native and which Delica it is.

Native sells for more on the street, but I think the Delica is a more liked knife. They are probably neck and neck for trade value. I think the Native will fill your hand more and be good for longer term use than a Delica since the Delica has such a thin handle. I think the Delica is good for a knife that won't be used much because it disappears in a pocket and does work well for small duty cutting.

Delica 4 has steel liners, the Native does not have liners the scales are all FRN. I think the Native's handle will bend a little more under use.

The Native 3 (VG-10, made in Japan, contoured handle) might be more similar to the Delica than the Native Lightweight (S30V, made in USA, flat textured handle). Some people will favor S30V because it is considered a super steel and will cut longer before completely dull. That would be good for someone who doesn't want to sharpen their knives.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
golddot370

Post by golddot370 »

I prefer the delica
International Order Of The SpyderEdge
Spydiefanatic #370
Emersonaholic #370
Team KillboX #370
Proud member of the N.R.A
'MAY GOD HAVE MERCY UPON MY ENEMIES, BECAUSE I WON'T.'
General George S. Patton
Luke 22:36
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

What is the blade steel in each knife and what grind is the Delica. If you have a ZDP189 Delica (Saber flat grind or Full flat grind) and your buddy has a BRK Native, then I would refuse the trade. The BRK Native was not assembled by Spyderco and is notorious for having rough and stiff action.

Again, a little more info would really help with the recommmendation. Bottom line is if you want to try the Native badly enough, go for it. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
v8r

Post by v8r »

Native.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Here's my take. You have an extra knife. Two delicas... or one native and one delica? Unless you have two different delicas, like ZDP-189 and a G10 delica, or something along those lines, and trading would mean you would miss out on a special delica, I would say trade. You can experience a different knife, one that, at any rate, has amazing reviews, and is most likely equal to the delica. (Not counting personal preferance)

So I would go for the trade.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
BJEOD

Post by BJEOD »

I think I will make the trade then. As usual, thank you for all the help
- One of the greats

:spyder:para 2 digital, gayle bradley, BD1 UKPK, Manix 2, Millie x2, Delica 4 green, Delica 4 SS, Progrip lightweight, Ladybug 1 x2:spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

IMHO this is fair trade, also this is not bad idea to experience both knives.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Fair enough trade - I personally favor the Native.
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

That is a fair trade, imo the delica is better, the native doesnt work with my hand
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

I have both and really like the Native's cpms30V steel over the VG-10 on my Delica.
Neither one is flat ground.
And, I like the Natives jimped front choil.
But, my favorite EDC has been the Delica for a looong time. Have had the Gin 1, ATS-55, and now the VG-10 versions on the Delica. I have just two Delicas now. The black FRN PE, and a Sante Fe Stoneworks flag themed in SE.
The Flag is a drawer Queen as I can't bring my self to carry it and nick/scratch it. I do look at it and wipe it down with a micro-fiber cloth.
I got a Lum in Titanium and like it a lot. I carry it most of the time. It's a user because altho I bought it NIB from a Dealer, somehow the blade got scratched and a small nick on the spine. It's one of the 450 first production Lums. What a shame someone had to drop it out of the box. Their loss is my gain as I paid $65.00 shipped.
So, I don't consider it a Collector and just carry it.
I luv it so much I bought a Sprint Run Green Almite Lum to put away. I paid $68.00 plus $4.95 shipping on eBay last week. NIB. I think I got lucky on that one, too. Tracking # says I get it Monday. Have to resist handling it.
I think you have gotten good advice about the trade. If your Delica is a vanilla model, and you have two, DEFINITELY trade. You won't regret it.
However, if your Delica is a Sprint Run or in ZDP Steel, maybe not so good a trade.
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

Native definitly.
if you find yourself in a fair fight, you did'nt prepare well enough. .." Hock Hochiem"..:spyder: " An object at rest cannot be stopped". The evil bomber what bombs at midnight. ;) :spyder: :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Native arguably has better steel, but really if you both have two of each and you both want one of the other, just trade. The price is about the same so jump on it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BJEOD

Post by BJEOD »

one more quick question. Is the s30v on the native as it is on the mili or para? Because imho studies have the best production s30v on the market.
- One of the greats

ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Same S30V as in the Military and the Para. It is a good blade steel for the money with Spyderco's excellent heat treat.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've really grown to love S30V. I don't get most of the complaints about it. It does tend to lose the hair popping edge rather quick but it holds a working edge for a good long while and i'd rather have that than a hair popping edge that rolls and dulls faster. I also don't find it any harder to sharpen than VG10, and it's a LOT easier than ZDP.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
amar

Post by amar »

Both knives have merits, and are ergonomic to hold and cut. While I have both, I find it requires less effort to pierce and slice using the Native than the Delica. Both knives are on my regular EDC rotation, and are fantastic to use. If it is the Delica 4 and a S30V Native, their street price is roughly the same, so a trade is indeed a good option (as most have mentioned).