Military CPM440V changes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blade Santa Cruz

Military CPM440V changes

Post by Blade Santa Cruz »

In a post in the general forum, someone mentioned that the Military models with the fine print correspond to an early version using 440V. They then stated that the Millie was switched to ATS34 for a while before going back to 440V. I replied as follows and this IS a more appropriate place to post my question:

"I have an early Military with CPM440V steel. It's my EDC, at least more so than any other knife. Before the temporary shift to ATS34, then the change back with the relatively low RC numbers for the 440V, (this is the first I have heard of this) were the original 440V blades taken to a harder RC?"
sal

Post by sal »

The original Militaries were made with both steels (ATS & 440V). The CPM versions have always used a softer Rc as we were able to get better performance with the lower Rc on 440V.

sal
Blade Santa Cruz

Post by Blade Santa Cruz »

Sal,

Thanks for the reply. I like the steel on my Military very much and am happy to see that it has not essentially changed since the early version I have was made. It's a great knife.
sal

Post by sal »

We made at least a dozen minor refinements since the early models. The pattern is essentially unchanged.

sal
Scorpius711

Post by Scorpius711 »

Sal I am curious since CPMS30V is supposed to
have excellent toughness for a stainless steel. Has the serration pattern changed back
to the orignal one, like on my ATS34 version?
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

I am have been wondering the same thing. Switching would not be difficult, as the grinding wheels would be shaped/dressed differently, right?

Knife Knut on a shoestring budget. RKBA
sal

Post by sal »

We have only made minor changes on the serrations over the years. What is the difference to which you are referring?

While in the process of changing over to S30V, we are also making chages to the lock as well. We will continue to refine the model as we learn new and more effective materials and techniques.

sal
Scorpius711

Post by Scorpius711 »

Well on my ATS34 version the bevel for the serrations is narrower. And the bevel is not ground as steep as the CPM440V version. So technically the pattern is the same just how it was done was different. In another thread, Carlos said the change was made to prevent chipping with the harder steel.

Thanks,
Troy
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Here, check this old Bladeforums thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... serrations
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

To quote Vince (Spyderco Engineer) directly:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=1 face=arial>quote:<hr height=1 noshade>To answer your questions the angle was changed on the CPM440V and the serrations are not as pointy as other models because in testing we found them to be stronger than having sharp points. This is due to the makeup of the steel.
Hope this helps.
Vince. <hr height=1 noshade></BLOCKQUOTE></font><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2>
Mt Goat

Post by Mt Goat »

Sal,

Since you brought it up, what changes are you making to the Military's lock? When will the new model hit the stores?

Thanks!
The Cool

Post by The Cool »

Ditto Goat. What lock changes?
dialex

Post by dialex »

Let me take a wild guess... no more ball detent? ;P

<marquee loop=infinite ><a href="http://users.pcnet.ro/dialex"><font color=blue>(my page)</font></a></marquee>