Pens

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bradley

Pens

Post by Bradley »

Hey guys, I'm currently a student, and dislike writing in pencil. I'm having a hard time finding a pen I like. The G-2 by Pilot is nice, but the ink tends to smear, or run together. I'm right handed, so it doesn't necessarily need to dry immediately. I'm also not looking for a "tactical" pen, just a pen that writes smooth and consistently. Help? :)
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Uni-ball is my favorite writing pen.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

For basic everyday writing - the Uniball Signo gel pens are it for me.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I love the Cross Ion (no longer in production but can be found on the bay)

And I always carry a baliyo. It's really a fun pen and great writing instrument.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
jwingfie

Post by jwingfie »

Zebra F-301. Can't beat it for the price.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Waco

Post by Waco »

I carry a Fisher Bullet Pen. Writes great and it's pocket size.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I like Zebras and G2s but am starting to like my new Schrade enough to prefer it.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Been a fan of Parker pens and refills for nearly sixty years. They may not have the longest lasting ink supply and may not write upside down, underwater, or across grease stains, but they write smoothly and the regular ballpoint (non-gel) ink dries fast and doesn't smear. The pens themselves last **** near forever if you don't chew on them or snag and bend the clip. I have a couple of T-ball Jotters that date back to when I was in junior high and they still work just fine.

If you like a bit more weight and/or a fatter body, consider one if the many tactical pens, like the S&W M&P, that use Parker refills.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I like the Precise V5 rt that is a click type. It is like the older ones with the cap. Walmart etc. Black, blue, red green etc.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I've carried a Zebra F-402 for a good number of years now. However, they seem to be getting harder and harder to find lately.
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

I used pencils throughout my 4 year history degree, so am a bit biased in that direction. Best I found were the triangular Faber-Castell Grip 2001 series.
See here for all the goodies http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Faber_ ... _2001.html
Used to sharpen up a pile and sit down to write a 7000 word essay, they are comfy, long lasting and won't roll away.
I ended up with all the other bits too, sharpener, eraser, coloured pencils etc
Better than any pen :D
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Pilot G-2 for me. Before that, I used uni-ball ONYX. I had a Cross Ion at work but it got lost and I never replaced it. I still have a drawer full of random free pens but the G-2 is the one I buy.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like Pilot P-700 and P-500 (I can't find them in stores, but you can find them on websites like office depot), not because they dry fast, but because of the clean and smooth line they write with. Uniball Vision Elite and Uniball Deluxe are good series of pens.

The Fisher cartridges are nice and write consistent, but even after 10-15 seconds they can still smear. Long enough for you to write a line then smear parts of it while writing the next one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Waco

Post by Waco »

Donut wrote:The Fisher cartridges are nice and write consistent, but even after 10-15 seconds they can still smear. Long enough for you to write a line then smear parts of it while writing the next one.
What color are you using? I'm left-handed, so I like smear-resistant ink. I contacted their customer service and was told that their black ink isn't supposed to smear, but the blue does tend to smear for left-handed folks. I don't know why blue takes longer to dry. If I'm taking a lot of notes in a meeting, I usually type them up later anyway, so smearing isn't a big deal.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I used a Parker fountain pen for years...it did smear, but it was a satisfying pen if you like to write. I'm a big G2 fan myself. If you find they smear too much, try the finest point you can find, that way the line is thinner and will dry faster.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I went with a uni-ball signo 207, pretty much the only ones my local Rite Aid had. I also picked up the sharpie liquid graphite pen(cil) even though I've heard they're garbage. So far the uni-ball is better. The sharpie is just as everyone says, it writes quite light if you aren't pressing down hard.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had high hopes for the Sharpie pens but i don't really care for them. They're pretty decent for drawing though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Id like to give an update on the pens for you folks. Sharpie liquid graphite pen-still sucks. Uni-Ball- seems to be getting worse, it keeps skipping while writing, and won't write in that area, you have to start the ink somewhere else, then go back to where you were writing. A little irritating since I don't have the best penmanship as is. So there you go guys.
tpro68

Sensa

Post by tpro68 »

Sensa makes a nice roller-ball that takes the Parker gel ink. I also have a Michael's FatBoy which takes the parker refill. I find that refill to be the smoothest writing for me. I also have a sweet Namiki blue carbonesque vanishing point fountain pen that requires a Kopa dress knife to keep up a uniform appearance. I enjoy pens almost as much as knives.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I am a huge fan of the BIC 4-Color Ballpoint Pen in medium point.

I've been using this pen on and off from elementary school through graduate school, and also use it in my current profession. I've broken quite a few of these pens over the years, but I keep coming back to it as my workhorse writing instrument. The four colors come in real handy when I'm taking notes and want to distinguish different topics and subjects.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!