MT12P featuring Cru-Wear Release Date

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:'Round here, we think of it as "Mastiff-ware". ;)

sal
Maybe one day we will see CPM S110V, and or CPM 10V. :eek:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

'Round here, we think of it as "Mastiff-ware".

sal
Will that get me a discount at the SFO ?

:)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Got a MT12 underway. :D
Hold Fast

David
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Had a lovely chat with Mike Kelley at the SFO and my shipment should be intransit tomorrow. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Wow, I did a little whittling with the Mule 12 tonight. I don't think the level sharpness changed at all. Looks like a long wearing steel.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

By the way Sal in your lab testing did the "mastiff-ware" have more or less wear resistance than I have abrasiveness? How about hardness? As hard as my head? Not quite? I'm just wanting to get an idea where it fits into the whole "steel-iverse". :)

*note: I'm not ashamed to make up my own words when necessary. :o You've got to do what you've got to do sometimes.

Lastly, are the knifemakers there that had to grind the mules out for my blood? I'm trying to figure out if I can skip my insurance bill for a month and buy more knives. ;)

Thanks,

With respect.

Joe ( looking for a new log in name if my name is mud in golden. Suggestions? )
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

toomzz wrote:Felt the same about SS vs. nonSS and feel the same, feverish....got one inbound.... ;)

T.
I heard that a Mule a day keeps the Doctor away. :D
DougB2

Post by DougB2 »

My Cru-Ware Mule is en route! Now I just need to come up with a good handle option.
LaoTzuMindFu

Post by LaoTzuMindFu »

I currently own 19 Spyderco knives and have 2 of these new Mules on the way. These are my first Mules and I really would like a couple of Cuscadi scales but no one seems to be responding there. Not really a fan of the Halpern scales. Anyone hear anything from Cuscadi lately?

Very VERY excited about my expected Mule delivery on Thursday.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I emailed cuscadi last month when I bought my first mule. I didn't get a response either. So in my haste I bought some ironwood and made my own scales. I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out. My advice, don't be shy about trying it yourself. I didn't have any experience or tools really and it came out great. Good enough to make me get 2 of the new mules. 1 for me and 1 for my old man. Whatever you decide, it's a mule so you will love it. Cheers.
LaoTzuMindFu

Post by LaoTzuMindFu »

Mules will be delivered tomorrow. Since Ive never done handles/scales before, I wonder if 3/8 x 1 3/4 x 5 would be enough.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

3/8 seems a bit thick to me, but YMMV. 5" length would be cutting it a bit fine if you want to cover the tang, but should work and will definitely be enough if you're leaving the guard area exposed. 1 3/8" is a bit narrow, IMHO, you be better off with something at least 1/2" wider, especially if you're covering the guard, or if there's a grain or other pattern that you want aligned with the long axis of the knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

My MT12 mule arrived today. Here it is compared to my PM-2:

I like the stone-wash finish on the mules. I wish the factory finish on the PM-2 blade was also like that:

Will
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That finish looks good on these mules. It looks well made and like a great user. I can't wait to get my hands on one!.

Joe

Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

Nice pics, thanks! It's funny, for the average person every Mule must look the same. For the non average folks there is this pleasant anticipation of what the latest Mule will look like.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Mr. Moe, to a lot, or most people they look the same. They look different to me. I really get to know them when I first sharpen them, change bevels, cut, finish and do all the other things I do to personalize them.

Every steel has a different personality of sorts.

Joe

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Joe,

It tested ok. Don't want to say too much until you guys are using them. That's what it's all out, right?

Grinding did surprize us and we did have to adjust plans. Once hardened, grinding is quite difficult.

Dan should have contacted you?

I'm thinking about making a model with the stuff. Pete Gerber did that now and then. Smart man Pete Gerber.

Mr_Moe,

Many things look the same until you become familiar with them. Then you learn differences. Trees as an example, snakes, etc. Steels hides it all. The only way to really "be one" with the essence of a steel is to use it. We make all of the Mule Teams the same so comparisons are not jaded by shape or geometry.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Ankerson wrote:Maybe one day we will see CPM S110V, and or CPM 10V. :eek:
Hi Jim,

Our first two attempts at S110V didn't work out so well. Now we're waiting on Crucible to make enough for a production run.

sal
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

sal wrote:Hi Jim,

Our first two attempts at S110V didn't work out so well. Now we're waiting on Crucible to make enough for a production run.

sal
Nice news - thank you, Sal. Based on the S110V knives I've used, that would be something special, especially with the care you guys give to heat treat and blade grind. :spyder:
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:Hi Jim,

sal
Hi Sal,

That's great news, hopefully they can get a run done so you can get enough. :)