Quality, Easy to Use, Off the Shelf Sharpening System. Does it Exist?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Rwb1500

Quality, Easy to Use, Off the Shelf Sharpening System. Does it Exist?

Post by Rwb1500 »

I need a Sharpmaker, but I can't justify one right now... I might just do it anyway... :spyder:

Are there any good alternatives out there? Anything I can run down to a corner store and buy? I'm a novice, so a plain stone isn't gonna do me much without some instruction. That's why I find the SM so appealing, it seems user friendly (at least compared to some things).

Suggestions?
Waco

Post by Waco »

Rwb1500 wrote:I need a Sharpmaker, but I can't justify one right now... I might just do it anyway... :spyder:

Are there any good alternatives out there? Anything I can run down to a corner store and buy? I'm a novice, so a plain stone isn't gonna do me much without some instruction. That's why I find the SM so appealing, it seems user friendly (at least compared to some things).

Suggestions?
It's a great investment. It's my understanding that you can send Spydercos back to the factory for a cheap/free sharpening if you pay postage.
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

The first time I ever sharpened one of my own knives was a few weeks ago. I was able to putting a shaving edge on my Delica and my Ladybug on my first time ever using a SharpMaker. I would definitley say its worth the money. If you can't afford it now I would definitley save up for it rather than purchase a lesser sharpening system if I were you.
Spyder Count: 7
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I have a lansky crockstick setup, similar to the sharpmaker, I get hair whittling edges when I use the crocks and a strop to knock the burr off. But the sharpmaker is the better investment, my setup has 20 and 25 degrees while the sharpmaker has 15 and 20.

you can get some pretty spectacular edges when you sharpen with either of them. only downside to mine is you cant turn it into a benchstone or scissor sharpener and cant do serrations.

When/if you get one, when you feel it getting SHARP, look at the edge under a bright LED light to look for burrs, when you get one, strop it off with a (real) piece of leather or a belt (you can also add rouge, diamond paste or auto polish to knock it off faster.) If you search youtube , you would be sure to find stropping tutorials too.

You can get super fine sharp edges with stones, and go to tthe next level with a strop.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I just bought a sharp maker... should be here in 3 days :)
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
druid

Post by druid »

buy spyderco you will not regret it. i have one
why
druid

Post by druid »

now how to sharpin a pizza cutting weal.
why
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For super cheap, go to Walmart and buy the basic Lansky setup. They're about $15. The one i've recently seen only comes with a fine diamond stone but it'll get you a good sharp working edge and is very easy to use. Is it the best sharpener? Heck no, but you get what you pay for and it will sharpen a knife.

But, i would suggest saving up for something better, even if it's just the better/high end Lansky stuff. If you're in a pinch though, it's hard to argue with $15.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Evil D wrote:For super cheap, go to Walmart and buy the basic Lansky setup. They're about $15. The one i've recently seen only comes with a fine diamond stone but it'll get you a good sharp working edge and is very easy to use. Is it the best sharpener? Heck no, but you get what you pay for and it will sharpen a knife.

But, i would suggest saving up for something better, even if it's just the better/high end Lansky stuff. If you're in a pinch though, it's hard to argue with $15.
I'm taking a hard look at the Crockstick box setup, do they carry that at Wal Mart? I know they have them at Bass Pro Shop, I've got one about ten miles from me, so I might run over there.

I like the idea of having the angle set for me, otherwise I'm in trouble.

There is a Sharpmaker in my semi immediate future, BUT I HAVE DULL KNIVES NOW! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure, the WM around me don't sell the crock stick setup, just those cheap pull through sharpeners.
~David
unit

Post by unit »

I am going to step outside the box here and take a different approach.

If your knives are TRULY DULL, the Sharpmaker (or the crock stiks) sharpener will not be the best (or even the 5th or 6th) best option.

Further, if you can not afford a Sharpmaker, there is little chance you will be able to afford a better, more suitable tool for your actual needs.

There are MANY alternatives, and some actually may work better than the Sharpmaker...some may even cost less. With all sharpening equipment there are trade offs.

Some are really easy to use, but they remove variables to simplify the process (removal of these variables makes the tool less able to deal with the multitude of problems that CAN exist on edges in the real world).

Others are really hard to use, because they allow the user the discretion (and freedom of motion) to address nearly any edge problem that exists...if he/she possesses the skills to use it properly.

The least expensive thing I have ever used to sharpen a knife with was a river stone I found on a hike. The results were relative to my abilities, the edge I started with, and the (lack of ) uniformity of that stone.

Now that I am done rambling, here is the most important piece of advice I can offer. Find a pro to sharpen your knives for you!

If you go cheap on a basic sharpener, there is a 100% chance you will spend money, but a smaller chance that the basic sharpener will help you fix your problems. If you invest in a GREAT sharpener, you will invest more money, and likely have a greater chance of success (but still not guaranteed).

Seeking out a pro to do it for you should guarantee success! Then save up and study up so you can get what you really need.

Learning to sharpen on cheap equipment is like trying to learn math with an abacus. It can be done...and has been done for centuries. But the kid sitting next to your with a decent calculator will get the correct answer faster ;)

I am not knocking the sharpmaker. But if your knives are truly dull....it is a very frustratingly slow tool to use.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

unit wrote:I am going to step outside the box here and take a different approach.

If your knives are TRULY DULL, the Sharpmaker (or the crock stiks) sharpener will not be the best (or even the 5th or 6th) best option.

Further, if you can not afford a Sharpmaker, there is little chance you will be able to afford a better, more suitable tool for your actual needs.

There are MANY alternatives, and some actually may work better than the Sharpmaker...some may even cost less. With all sharpening equipment there are trade offs.

Some are really easy to use, but they remove variables to simplify the process (removal of these variables makes the tool less able to deal with the multitude of problems that CAN exist on edges in the real world).

Others are really hard to use, because they allow the user the discretion (and freedom of motion) to address nearly any edge problem that exists...if he/she possesses the skills to use it properly.

The least expensive thing I have ever used to sharpen a knife with was a river stone I found on a hike. The results were relative to my abilities, the edge I started with, and the (lack of ) uniformity of that stone.

Now that I am done rambling, here is the most important piece of advice I can offer. Find a pro to sharpen your knives for you!

If you go cheap on a basic sharpener, there is a 100% chance you will spend money, but a smaller chance that the basic sharpener will help you fix your problems. If you invest in a GREAT sharpener, you will invest more money, and likely have a greater chance of success (but still not guaranteed).

Seeking out a pro to do it for you should guarantee success! Then save up and study up so you can get what you really need.

Learning to sharpen on cheap equipment is like trying to learn math with an abacus. It can be done...and has been done for centuries. But the kid sitting next to your with a decent calculator will get the correct answer faster ;)

I am not knocking the sharpmaker. But if your knives are truly dull....it is a very frustratingly slow tool to use.

I guess I sorta misrepresented my problem. I'm just looking for a stop gap sharpener, to hold me over.

I'd prefer that it is easy to use, only because I have a few basic stones, and can't really master them, so I'd like something that sets an angle for me.

Silly, I know. I wouldn't say my knives are extremely dull, but I've been using my Delica at work and it definitely isn't anywhere as sharp as it was a month ago.
JD Spydo

Read up on Sharpening first

Post by JD Spydo »

I agree to a large extent to what my Brother UNIT said in his post :) Especially the first 5 suggestions.

If you're just looking for something cheap to hold you over until you get the coins to get a Sharpmaker I really don't know what to recommend to you that would be comparable in performance.

Now if you're thinking of getting one or 2 Benchstones to play with I'm here to tell you that it took me quite some time and a lot of practice to freehand sharpen on a benchstone before I got very effective results. It really does take a bit of skill to get consistent with a benchstone. Not trying to discourage you but I do want you to know what you're getting into.

Actually the first thing I would recommend would be to get one of 2 books I swear by. The first being the "Complete Book Of Sharpening" by John Juranitch ( of Razor Edge sharpening equipment fame)
Second there is another great book written by Steve Bottorff entitled "Sharpening Made Easy"

Both books are very simple to understand and both will give you some basics you really need to know before attempting any sharpening chores.

Now the Smith's company has a triple-flip sharpening system that is comprised of 3 small Benchstones that are in a block that you can rotate and you can get them at most Wally World stores. I don't think you would do your blades any harm by experimenting with that system. But I think you would be much more advised just to save your pennies and bite the bullet and get you a Spyderco Sharpmaker>> it truly is the best kit of it's kind out there.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I_like_sharp_things wrote:The first time I ever sharpened one of my own knives was a few weeks ago. I was able to putting a shaving edge on my Delica and my Ladybug on my first time ever using a SharpMaker. I would definitley say its worth the money. If you can't afford it now I would definitley save up for it rather than purchase a lesser sharpening system if I were you.
Sums up my experience too. First time I used it got great results. Better than I expected or was able to ever get sharpening free hand on a flat bench stone. They don't "cost" much either, so there's no "justification" needed. LOL.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Correction...the kit Walmart sells isn't a Lansky, it's a Smith's. The stores around me don't carry this kit anymore, the one i mentioned earlier only has a diamond stone. I can't seem to find it online but here's the kit i have.
http://smithsedge.com/products/product.asp?id=34&cid=21

Here's the Lansky kit i use now, with an additional 650 grit Arkansas stone and a 1000 grit stone. I think i paid about $75 at Bass Pro Shop for the diamond kit, and then ~$10 for each of the other stones at my local knife shop. It's a great kit, but honestly for ~$100 you could get a Gatco which has a lot of improvements over the Lansky (bigger stones, more sharpening degree slots).
https://lansky.com/index.php/products/3 ... nd-system/

Anyway, that Smith's kit is not the best kit..but it will put a shaving edge on a butter knife and for $15 it's tough to beat if your knives are super dull. It's also handy for reprofiling a bevel, although keep in mind that the actual degree that you sharpen at is not going to be very accurate.
~David
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Not to take money away from spyderco selling sharpmakers but, freehand freehand freehand. This imo is the best way to learn to sharpen. I use a cheapo pairing knife for cuting fruits at the bar I work out, it wasnt cutting well. Took the wood cutting board and pretty much stropped it on the wood. Got it cleaned up a bit and it cut better. Imo you dont need an expensive system. All you need is some sandpaper and a leather strop and compound. Once you get the hang of freehanding it, youcan even sharpen your secondary V edges on a leather strop too. I have no issues putting a razors edge on my spydies with the leather. Freehanding on stones would be great too. Seriously buy like the set of three spyderco stones or just get the double stuff stone.

Look up info on sharpenig, but one of the best tools on the internet is youtube...thats how I learned to sharpen my knives. Also the great thing about using a leather strop and compound is that it removes very little metal, but still get great results.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I keep telling myself i need to learn to freehand but i guess im lazy.
~David
Waco

Post by Waco »

Evil D wrote:I keep telling myself i need to learn to freehand but i guess im lazy.
My grandpa was good at that, but he was retired and had nothing better to do than sit under a shade tree and sharpen knives.
Donut

Post by Donut »

If you want something cheap and already have the stones, I would watch So-Lo's freehand sharpening video series.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45595

I learned quite a bit from them and as is demonstrated in the video, you can get a hair whittling edge with freehand sharpening.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
BAL

Post by BAL »

If I were advising someone on what knife to get, one of the first choices would actually be the Sharpmaker. It costs in the same general area as many knives and is well worth the investment in the long run. One knife is only one knife. One Sharpmaker can be used on all knives and anything else for that matter, for many many years. Many are knife sharpening masters, but for others, (myself included) a system like this will get you up to speed in short order, and it will always be there. No sense in getting a quality blade and then having it dull. A few strokes on the SM and your free to shave the ole leg\arm hair off to test it. (The ultra fine and especially the diamond rods are a nice add-on, but can be picked up later). If anyone gets one they won't ever regret it.